When are transaction rules triggered?

Diana43
Diana43 Member
edited April 2023 in Report a Bug

I'm new to Simplifi, and very happy so far. After migrating years worth of data from Mint I spent MANY hours doing cleanup and created quite a few transaction rules. A few days later I've had a few transactions come in but they've not followed the transaction rules I've set up. I assumed as data was loaded from from my account into Simplifi the rules should run. When I reviewed the rule in question (via edit to confirm I'd set up correctly) I did see that there was one exisiting transaction that met the criteria.

Comments

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

@Diana43 could you perhaps provide some screenshots of the transaction and the rule so someone can better help you? The rules trigger when the transaction syncs from your bank.
    Welcome to Simplify!

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Diana43
    Diana43 Member

Here's an example of the rule I set up:

The details (where you can see the 2 new transactions match as “existing”):

The details of those 2 new transactions:

I would have expected them to be renamed to “Under Armour” and have been recatagorized to “Clothing” instead of “Shopping”.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

I notice the source transaction has the word “Underarmour” (one word) as opposed to “under” and “armour”, could that be why?

Edit: The screenshot says I'm wrong i guess.

Rob Wilkens

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

@RobWilk I think your on to something. Which screenshot caused you to question it thought; I'm not seeing that screenshot?

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

@Flopbot the one that said "existing transactions that will be renamed" gave me the impression they matched already.

[corrected user tag]

Rob Wilkens

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

@RobWilk I missed that. Good catch.

@Diana43 there are two things that struck me:

• Like Rob mentioned at first, I would change your rule to "underarmour" instead of “under” and “armour”. That most closely matches how it downloaded from the bank. That said, Rob is right that Simplifi shows that it should have renamed that one in your second screenshot ("existing transactions that match…").
    • I'm not sure how it relates, but I see in your first screenshot that the category is “Clothes” and in your thrid screenshot that the category changed to “Shopping”. I can't imagine that has anything to do with it, but I noticed it. Maybe you just changed it between screenshots.

While I don't have any transactions with Under Armour to test, I have seen some weirdnesses with trying to create rules for transactinos with .com in the name. Maybe try making it one word and then see if that fixes it going forward.

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Diana43
    Diana43 Member

Thank you for taking a look. This was just one example, a lot of the rules I set up didn't seem to run properly. I've tried some new ones (setting up from editing the transaction, instead of going to the rules and manually creating). So we'll see as new transactions come in what happens.

This discussion has been closed.