American Express High Yield Savings Account - Not Linking to Simplifi

Lance
Lance Member

I recently opened a high yield savings account with AMEX. I can get my cards to sync up to Simplifi; however, the savings account will not. Any suggestions? They all show up on my AMEX dashboard when I go to their site.

Comments

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lance

Not having an American Express High Yield Savings Account, I won't be of much help probably…hoepfully someone else in the Community who has that card can assist more. However, have you tried using multiple connnections types in addition to the first one listed? I have seen it with other money management apps - where all the accounts from one bank work with one connection type, except for one account which needs a different connection type for some reason.

Scroll through the list when you add an account (Settings>Accounts>+Account>Search for "American Express") and see if anything jumps out and try it - maybe "American Express - Banking" perhaps?

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited May 2023

Hello @Lance,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding this issue, although I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing difficulties adding your new High Yield Savings Account with American Express to Simplifi.

What @Flopbot pointed out above is correct — I believe Savings Accounts with American Express need to be added using the "American Express - Banking" option (this is mentioned in our Support Article here). If that doesn't work, I'd suggest trying the "American Express Bank FSB" option.

Please let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

• I am new here but I am also unable to link my AMEX HYSA using any of the suggested methods.

• Coach Natalie

Hello @David-55726,

Thank you for reporting this issue to the Community, although I'm sorry to hear that you're also experiencing trouble adding a Savings Account with American Express in Simplifi.

Would you mind providing a bit more detail regarding this issue, please? For example, is the account not presented as available to add when connecting to American Express, or where exactly are you unable to link it? Have you tried both the "American Express - Banking" and "American Express Bank FSB" options? Have you ever had this account connected in Simplifi, or is this your first time trying to add it? Do you have other American Express accounts besides the High Yield Savings Account? If so, are they connected in Simplifi?

The more detail you provide will allow the Community to best assist!

-Coach Natalie

• abbiefaye
    abbiefaye Member ✭✭

Hey, I have the same issue. It connected when I first added it a few weeks ago, and now it won’t connect at all. I completely disconnected and tried to reconnect, and the high yield savings account was removed entirely. This was the “American Express - Banking” option.

• abbiefaye
    abbiefaye Member ✭✭

”American Express Bank FSB” doesn’t work either. Amex told me they’re moving savings accounts out of that url.

• Coach Natalie

Hello @abbiefaye,

Thanks for posting to the Community regarding this issue, although I'm sorry to hear that you're also experiencing difficulties connecting your High Yield Savings Account with American Express in Simplifi.

To clarify, do you have other American Express accounts? If so, do you currently have them connected in Simplifi, and under which option (“American Express - Banking” or "American Express")? Also, what type of accounts are they?

For the High Yield Savings Account specifically, has there been any activity in the account in the last 90 days? Is the account considered an external account, a sub-type of another account, or anything along those lines?

Please let us know so we can best assist!

-Coach Natalie

• abbiefaye
    abbiefaye Member ✭✭

I just have my accounts connected to “American Express - Banking”. My credit card and checking account connect fine. The issue is the HYSA, which is an active account (there was activity in it today). It’s not external. It’s just a savings account.

• Coach Natalie

Hello @abbiefaye,

Thanks for confirming!

Please provide the following information so I can get this issue escalated for you:

1. Has there been any changes made to the bank's website or their sign-in process recently?
    2. The name of the missing account, as it appears on the bank's website.
    3. A screenshot of the Accounts Summary page from the bank's website that lists all accounts and balances and has a wide enough scope to show the page URL (this must be taken from a web browser and not a mobile browser).
    4. A screenshot of the OAuth screen with 'American Express - Banking' in Simplifi (the window that pops up where you authorize your accounts) that lists the accounts available to authorize (if applicable).
    5. A screenshot of the Add Account screen in Simplifi that lists all accounts that are discovered after authorization is completed (or you may see a screen that says you've already added all of your accounts).

For numbers 4 and 5 — basically, we need to see if the missing High Yield Savings Account is displayed as available to authorize on American Express's OAuth screen, as well as if the account is discovered in Simplifi after authorizing the accounts. I think some of the OAuth API banks may not list the individual accounts to authorize in the separate window, which is why I added "if applicable" to number 4.

Thanks in advance!

-Coach Natalie

• abbiefaye
    abbiefaye Member ✭✭

I DM’d you!

• Coach Natalie

Hello @abbiefaye,

Thank you for providing the requested information!

I have gone ahead and gotten this escalated and will be sure to post back as soon as an update is received.

-Coach Natalie

EWC-10254726

• abbiefaye
    abbiefaye Member ✭✭

Sounds good. Thank you, Natalie.

• moodlemags
    moodlemags Member
    edited May 2023

[removed]

I am having this same issue with my high yield savings and business checking account don't show up anymore in the AmEx options of accounts to add. Can you assist?

Thank you!

• Coach Natalie

Hello @abbiefaye,

Thanks for your patience as this was being worked on!

We've heard back from our Service Provider and they think they've found a solution and would like you to go ahead and attempt to re-add the missing High Yield Savings Account.

Please let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

• Coach Natalie

Hello @moodlemags,

Thanks for posting to the Community regarding this issue, although I'm sorry to hear that you're also experiencing difficulties connecting some of your American Express accounts in Simplifi.

To clarify, have you ever had the missing accounts connected in Simplifi, or is this your first time attempting to add them? Also, do you have other American Express accounts connected in Simplifi? If so, which American Express option are they connected to, and what type of accounts are they?

Additionally, I'd suggest trying the different options listed for American Express in Simplifi to see if any of them work for you. There are 3 to try: "American Express", “American Express - Banking”, and “American Express Bank FSB”.

Please let us know so we can best assist!

-Coach Natalie

• abbiefaye
    abbiefaye Member ✭✭

Thanks for the update, Natalie. Unfortunately, that didn’t work. I completely removed “American Express - Banking” and attempted to add it again. However, I continue to have the same issue where I’m only seeing my checking and credit card accounts—no High Yield Savings Account.

• I am having this same issue with my high yield savings accounts on AMEX. I contacted support and they are lookin into it.

• Coach Natalie

Hello @abbiefaye,

Thanks for giving it another try, although I'm sorry to hear that the trouble persists.

I went ahead and resubmitted the ticket and will let you know as soon as I hear back. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

• abbiefaye
    abbiefaye Member ✭✭

Thanks, Natalie!

• AzMurph
    AzMurph Member

Thanks for highlighting this issue. I've had my Amex account linked for some cards and the high yield savings account and it was working great. Then, in the last two weeks there was a message that the method of connection had changed and it guided me to reconnect. That then opened a pop up to sign in. Once signed in, I see my cards, but the savings account is not offered as an option. After reading this, I've tried American Express Banking and the FSB option and can't login on those. So, from here it seems like something changed with the connection method and this method does not support the savings account (yet?).

On the plus side, it no longer asks for two factor authentication each time it's refreshed.

I hope that information helps.

• kai4387
    kai4387 Member ✭✭✭✭

Personal Savings (American Express Bank FSB) has its own separate credentials. You must use the Personal Savings login/pass.

If you go to the Personal Savings website, it will direct you to use your normal Amex login/pass, but you can create/use the old Personal Savings login/pass if you follow the link saying "Not ready to create new Amex credentials? Use your prior Savings online access for a limited time".

Hopefully Amex will integrate Personal Savings with their new OAuth flow before they disable the old Personal Savings credentials.

• abbiefaye
    abbiefaye Member ✭✭

@kai4387 that doesn’t work if you made the savings account after Amex starting migrating savings accounts to the americanexpress.com url.

• I read through this but I still don't see a resolution. AMEX is migrating away from the personal savings URL into a unified logon experience. I am able to add my AMEX card, but it does not recognize my HYSA. Any updates from the Simplifi team on if there is a path to resolution being worked?

• Coach Natalie

Hello All,

If you're experiencing difficulties connecting your High Yield Savings Account with American Express in Simplifi, please follow these steps:

1. Attempt to add/connect the account using the “American Express - Banking” option.
    2. Attempt to add/connect the account using the “American Express Bank FSB” option.
    3. Attempt to add/connect the account using the “American Express” option (you will need to authorize your accounts through the OAuth API when using this option).
    4. If you have an old Personal Savings login as mentioned by @kai4387 above, please try the suggestion outlined here.

If you are still unable to add/connect the account, please provide the following information:

1. Do you have other American Express accounts? If so, what type of accounts are they, and are they currently connected in Simplifi?
    2. If you do have other American Express accounts connected in Simplifi, which option are they connected to?
    3. Have you ever had your High Yield Savings Account connected in Simplifi? If so, which option was it connected to?
    4. Have there been any changes made to the bank's website or their sign-in process recently?
    5. The name of the missing account, as it appears on the bank's website.
    6. A screenshot of the Accounts Summary page from the bank's website that lists all accounts and balances and has a wide enough scope to show the page URL (this must be taken from a web browser and not a mobile browser).
    7. A screenshot of the Add Account screen in Simplifi that lists all accounts that are discovered and shows that the High Yield Savings Account is missing (or you may see a screen that says you've already added all of your accounts).

@abbiefaye and @jamiroquaicv — please disregard since your cases were already escalated. Everyone else, we need to gather as much information as possible and exhaust all options so we can go to our Service Provider and show them that this is an issue for many users.

Thanks, everyone!

-Coach Natalie

• AzMurph
    AzMurph Member

I just tried this again and the American Express - Banking option worked. I don't know if it's my error or not, but I'm positive I tried that one before without success. And there was one odd thing. I tried a couple times selecting my phone number for authentication and I never received a text message with the code, but when I selected email, the code came right over. In that setup, I could see all of my cards and the HYSA, including the option to add authorized user cards separately (as duplicates) just like I could until about two weeks ago.

So, this fixes the issue for me, though it brings back the authentication step. Hopefully, Amex adds the HYSA to their main sync and I can just use that in the long run.

• AzMurph
    AzMurph Member

And the authentication by SMS is working on this now through the "Banking" connection.

• abbiefaye
    abbiefaye Member ✭✭

None of what @AzMurph suggested worked for me. Still not seeing the HYSA.

• Coach Natalie

Hello @abbiefaye,

Our Service Provider has requested a specific file from you to continue working on this issue. Please follow these steps to obtain the file:

1. Navigate to the sign-in page on the bank's website where you'd access the High Yield Savings Account, but don't sign in yet.
    2. Right-click on the page and select "Inspect". A console window will open on the right.
    3. Select the 'Network' tab at the top (you may need to click the » arrows to see more options).
    4. Place a checkmark in 'Preserve log'.
    5. Leave the console open and sign into the bank's website.
    6. Once signed in, click the download arrow (downward-facing arrow) in the upper left of the console window.
    7. Save the .HAR file.

Once you have the file, you can either send it to me in a DM here in the Community (if it lets you), or I can email you a link to our Secure File Exchange and you can upload it there.

Thanks! 🙂

-Coach Natalie

• abbiefaye
    abbiefaye Member ✭✭

Natalie, I couldn't send that file extension to you in a DM.

• Coach Natalie

Hello @abbiefaye,

I went ahead and emailed you a link to our Secure File Exchange. Please upload the .HAR file there and let me know once done.

Thank you!

-Coach Natalie

This discussion has been closed.