Marking Accounts as Closed (edited) (30 Merged Votes)

hikerspath
hikerspath Member ✭✭
edited December 2021 in Feature Requests

So I am sure I'm not alone in occasionally picking up a new account here and closing another there. Would be super nice to be able to 'Disable' sync of a particular service once the account has closed out both at the provider and account layers, but would also be great to mark the status of the accounts also (open/closed/hidden).

I say open/closed/hidden, because there may be accounts that should remain hidden from the transaction sync, but also because for accounts that are closed, I still want to keep the historical transactions even though the account is no longer open or I have shifted it to a competing bank.

--
macOS: 10.15.1
iOS: 13.1.2
AppVersion: 4.0

30 votes

Completed · Last Updated

The ability to mark accounts as closed is now available in Simplifi!

Comments

• Currently had an issue that my account was closed and no longer attached to my log in. The software continues to ask me for a log in and has a incorrect current balance associated with the last time it was able to link to the account. The only option currently is to delete the account and all of it's history, which for obvious reasons I do not want to do. We need to have an option to keep the data associated with it, with out it seeking a bank log in.
    **Please look into adding a deactivate option, as well as, a "Current Balance" override field. **

FYI: This is a common occurrence for fraud and account closures where the bank closes the account and removes it from the login.

• Coach Tappan
    Coach Tappan Retired Coach ✭✭✭✭

This is valuable feedback. An option to "unlink" or "deactivate" an individual account would solve some of these problems, but we also need to provide solutions that allow users to link renumbered accounts with existing data under the old number, even when the financial institution deletes the old card. We'll make sure our support team is aware of the issue.

• Coach Paco
    Coach Paco Moderator admin

@hikerspath I'm glad you posted this in our community. I had made that same suggestion myself!

• Coach Tappan
    edited November 2019

I agree. You might also want to take a look at a related question that was posted in this discussion thread: Deactivate without deleting account history. Please keep the suggestions coming!

• IowaBeta
    IowaBeta Member

Totally agree with this post. I have a WellsFargo account that is no longer active and every time I sign into Simplifi I need to add credentials. I don't want to lose the history by deleting the account.

• Coach Tappan

Thanks for your input. Our development team is currently working on this issue. We plan to add an option to "deactivate" an account without deleting it in the next major Simplifi update. We'll post a notice once it's implemented.

• IowaBeta
    IowaBeta Member

@Coach Tappan said:
    Thanks for your input. Our development team is currently working on this issue. We plan to add an option to "deactivate" an account without deleting it in the next major Simplifi update. We'll post a notice once it's implemented.

Any feel for the timing of the next major update? It seems there are a number of issues keeping it from being market-ready in April.

• Coach Tappan

@IowaBeta This option turned out to be more difficult than we thought. We're still working on the best way to implement it. We have rolled out a number of improvements to the program in the past week or so, including the ability to create Categories on the Transactions page, but this one is still in development. Please keep checking back here for the latest news.

• We can't wait to see this feature put into play. We really love all the work the dev team and QA has put into this product and launch. We switched over from YNAB and they currently have the ability to hide, and unlink the account from updating. Keep up the great work and we look forward to all the continued enhancements coming.

• Coach Nicole
    Coach Nicole Administrator, Moderator admin

Thank you so much, @Ryan and Chris, and welcome to Simplifi! We're so excited you're trying it out!

We understand the importance of having this ability, so we're looking into ways of making this available! We'll update this thread as soon as we have an ETA. In the meantime, we hope you find Simplifi to be fun and intuitive, and if you have any feedback, please don't hesitate to share!

• simplij
    simplij Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hope it’s ok to piggy back on this. Ideally Simplifi could auto detect that an account is closed and prompt what we’d like to do. I believe Mint does that well, notifying me that an account has been closed and what do I want to do with it.
  • Coach Nicole

Hi @simplij! That is a great idea. Thanks for the feedback! :)

• sabrinablue
    sabrinablue Member ✭✭
    edited September 2020

Please add an option to hide an account. If I close one of my bank or card accounts, I don't want to lose the transaction history in Simplifi and the transfers it may have with my live accounts. But I don't want to keep seeing it in the sidebar when it's not an account I ever use anymore.

Allowing us to mark the account as Closed is another option, but the main point is still that it would move out of active view (e.g., is archived elsewhere).

Thank you!

• Coach Paco

@sabrinablue Great suggestion and you got my vote :smile:

• chanceryder25
    chanceryder25 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

It would be nice to be able to mark accounts as closed, or have the option to hide them from the accounts list. Right now, the only way to do that would be to delete the account entirely, losing all data associated (not ideal).

• Coach Paco

@chanceryder25 Some great suggestions that you've provided today!

• I actually left Mint because I have bank logins where all accounts were marked as closed, but Mint would still try login still. I don't even want them to attempt to login to those providers ever again. I don't even remember the login anymore to some providers, as I haven't used in a decade. I actually switched to Simplifi since I hoped that a login level disable or deactivate might be created. This post is mostly to reiterate this is a definite use case for long term users.

• Domino82
    Domino82 Member
    edited April 2020

Would like the ability to hide an account from being calculated into net worth (e.g., my massive student loans) so I don’t have such a depressing number constantly staring me in the face. Thanks!

• Coach Paco

@Domino82 Excellent idea and I know the feeling lol! You got my vote!

• m.bakshi
    m.bakshi Member
    edited September 2020

Hi, I am a user of PocketSmith, and may migrate to Simplifi because I just love this new interface.

However, PocketSmith gives me the ability to hide bank accounts that I no longer use or have closed. For example, I have about four Fidelity Cash Management accounts that I no longer use, but an active one too. Simplifi doesn't give me the ability to hide individual accounts. It only gives me the ability to delete everything for a specific bank. Could this please be looked into? Thank you

• Mike B
  • allentguti
    allentguti Member

I agree with @Domino82 about hiding accounts for the student loan reason and for other reasons. I prefer to not regularly see my savings accounts. Out of sight, out of mind. I would like the ability to hide an account as I would if I were using Quicken.

• Coach Paco

@m.bakshi We have another request regarding this. I'm going to connect them together since that has some votes on it already :smile:

• @Coach Tappan said:
    @IowaBeta This option turned out to be more difficult than we thought. We're still working on the best way to implement it. We have rolled out a number of improvements to the program in the past week or so, including the ability to create Categories on the Transactions page, but this one is still in development. Please keep checking back here for the latest news.

Any updates on this request?

• Coach Tappan

@Ryan and Chris Thanks for your comments! There are a number of major improvements to Simplifi that our development team is working on right now, such as adding an import function, and upgrading the Investments module. Adding an option to "hide" or deactivate an account, or to mark an account as "closed" is high on our priority list as well, but it also comes with a number of challenges we're still working out, including making sure a "hidden" account isn't permanently closed or a customer's username and password information deleted, and distinguishing renumbered accounts from permanently closed ones. We share your interest in adding this option to Simplifi, and we will post a notice here as soon as we have a release date.

• mazar1977
    mazar1977 Member ✭✭✭✭

Is there a way to hide an account? I have a credit card account that I paid off the balance and closed the account. I don't want to delete the credit card account because it will then delete the payment transactions in my checking account and throw the balance off. I just want to make the account "inactive" or hide it from my dashboard, account list, reports, etc. since the balance is 0.00 and I closed the account.

• Coach Tappan

@mazar1977 Quite a few of our users have requested this option -- to "hide" an account from updating, or "deactivate" it without closing or deleting it, to preserve the transactions. Our development team is working on a way to implement this function, but there are some hurdles that need to be resolved before it can be added. I've merged your comment with an existing discussion on the topic, to give you a chance to add your vote to this request and move it up our priority list. Thanks for your comments!

• What is the status of this issue? This is something the is causing incredibly innacurate overviews of my available funds and the only solution is for me to lose historical data.

• Coach Nicole

Hi all--sadly, we don't have an ETA to provide at this time. However, our team is aware of the importance of having this ability and is working on getting it added. We'll keep you posted! Have a great weekend!

• bcrossman
    bcrossman Member ✭✭✭✭

I'm hoping this feature is unveiled soon. Any ETA on when we might see it?

• I would really like to see this added. I am with the others, is there an ETA on this feature?

This discussion has been closed.