AMEX Credit Card - all transactions redownloaded and duplicated

rjweisberg
rjweisberg Member

I was prompted to reestablish my American Express credit card connection. It looks like there is a new authorization to flow. I completed it and much to my surprise, a brand new AMEX account was established, and all historical transactions were re-downloaded, resulting in duplicate transactions all the way back to 2021! Anybody else having this issue? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Tagged:

Comments

• Lytol
    Lytol Member ✭✭

Similar issue, but different outcome for me: I was prompted to re-establish my American Express account for a new authorization flow as well, but now it has switched my account to "Manual" and no new transactions are being downloaded. =( I don't want to "Add Account" because I'm worried that I'll lose (or duplicate) all of my history.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin

Hello @rjweisberg & @Lytol,

Thank you for posting to the Community regarding the American Express OAuth API migration, although I'm sorry to hear that you're both experiencing trouble migrating your accounts.

@rjweisberg, if the issue is that you now have duplicate American Express accounts, you can resolve this by deleting the newly created duplicate accounts, going through the Add Account flow for American Express, and then making sure to carefully link your existing Simplifi accounts to the American Express accounts that are found. More details on handling duplicate accounts can be found here.

@Lytol, the same thing goes for you — if your American Express accounts are now in a 'manual' state, you would simply go through the Add Account flow for American Express and then carefully link your existing Simplifi accounts to the American Express accounts that are found. Linking accounts is what prevents duplicate accounts from being added.

http://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/4959544-how-to-link-accounts

Please let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

• Lytol
    Lytol Member ✭✭

@Coach Natalie I did exactly that, and it still keeps the account in "manual" and does not show American Express as a linked financial institution. I opened a support ticket and they confirmed that it requires an escalation.

• Coach Natalie

Hello @Lytol,

Thanks for posting back!

It sounds like you're experiencing an entirely different issue than what was originally posted about here. If an escalation was already submitted via an interaction with Chat Support, the original Agent you worked with will be back in touch as soon as an update becomes available. In the meantime, if you'd like to reach back out to the Community regarding the issue you're experiencing, you'll want to do so by creating a separate post to outline the separate issue.

Hopefully this matter is resolved quickly for you!

-Coach Natalie

• sygyzy
    sygyzy Member
    edited June 2023

I am having the same or at least a similar situation. I have always linked my single American Express credit card to Simplifi. In the last week, that connection was broken, and I was prompted to use a new flow to re-establish it. This works, except at the end of the flow, it asks me to add the account. If I approve, it creates a new (duplicate) account which works (it starts downloading transactions), but the problem is the original American Express account is still there and shows a connection issue. This results in duplicate transactions but also all my customizations are messed up (ie renaming rules, categories etc). How can I fix the connection issue for the existing account and not add it as a "new" American Express account?

Edit: I thought I figured out a way to fix it by choosing the Reset Connection option on my broken connection. But now I am in a bad state. When I try to connect, it takes me to the bad flow then when that connection fails, it says "it failed but we have a cool new way for you to connect". The issue is it now won't let me access said flow.

• Coach Natalie
    edited June 2023

Hello @sygyzy,

Thanks for posting on this topic, although I'm sorry to hear that you're also experiencing a duplicate American Express account after migrating to the OAuth API.

To resolve this, please follow the steps outlined in my comment above (click here). You'll want to delete the newly created duplicate account, go through the Add Account flow for American Express, and then link the account found to your existing Simplifi account.

Please let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

This discussion has been closed.