Future Spending Plans (7 Merged Votes)

jtjones0304
jtjones0304 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2022 in Feature Requests

I really love all the changes made recently to the spending plan. Probably one of my favorite features in simplifi. Would be great to be able to see future month spending plans. Right now you can't see the next month until the first.

18 votes

Completed · Last Updated

One month into the future is now available in Simplifi!

Comments

• Coach Tappan
    Coach Tappan Retired Coach ✭✭✭✭

@jtjones0304 Thanks for another excellent suggestion! This would also work for me, as long as Spending Plans for two or three or more months out have a different "look and feel," or prominent message reminding me that what I'm looking at is just "projected" or "subject to change," (like the graphs when you select an account on the Transactions page) and won't include any "Spent So Far" items until that month actually begins.

• syrilmathai
    syrilmathai Member ✭✭

I think just having a bar at the top indicating the month like Mint is an easy feature to copy

• Coach Tappan
    Coach Tappan Retired Coach ✭✭✭✭

@syrilmathai Welcome to Simplifi, and thanks for the suggestion! If you haven't already done so, be sure to add your vote to the tally under the first post ion this discussion to record your support for this request.

• gwaid1
    gwaid1 Member

While I am not salaried, it is pretty easy to estimate my upcoming monthly income, and I usually take a few minutes to do so at the end of every month. It would be wonderful if there was the ability to start planning your budget for the next month with projected income, instead of having to wait for the app to register that you have a paycheck coming.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin

Hello @gwaid1,

We appreciate your feedback; thanks for posting your feature request here! :smile:

-Coach Natalie

• Chriss
    Chriss Member

@gwaid1 said:
    While I am not salaried, it is pretty easy to estimate my upcoming monthly income, and I usually take a few minutes to do so at the end of every month. It would be wonderful if there was the ability to start planning your budget for the next month with projected income, instead of having to wait for the app to register that you have a paycheck coming.

I totally agree, this is a must-add—would be so helpful!

• mljshield3
    mljshield3 Member ✭✭✭

I believe you can do this already. Just go into Settings - Reoccurring. Hit the add button. Find a previous income transaction, add it, and then make sure you select category INCOME. You can select your start date and which checking account it gets deposited into. Let's say you need to adjust the amount in the future? Go into the projected line graph that's part of said checking account. You can click on the datapoint to adjust. Figured this last part out today, and it only adjusts that single entry and leaves the rest how you initially set them up in part one.

I did test this - I found a small dividend income payment, added it as recurring. It now shows up as income both on the line graph for that checking account as well as in the spending plan.

• dl30
    dl30 Member ✭✭✭
    This is a feature I would also like. I was very surprised to find that it wasn't a feature of this program and it almost kept me from continuing to use it.
  • achester99
    achester99 Member ✭✭
    please add feature that allows to budget for future spending plans. At least the upcoming month so that when we get close to end of month we can start planning the upcoming month.
  • Oh yea - definitely need this!!! We have many irregular income and expense months and I like to forecast them in the right month and visualize at least the next quarter. Thanks!
  • Micah
    Micah Member ✭✭
    Absolutely need this feature.
  • Anne
    Anne Member
    This is HUGE as a feature need. I need to be able to see planned spending in my future cash flow, not just planned transactions.

• sbhill
    sbhill Member
    I'm new to Simplifi and was curious why my cash flow was getting high and then I realized my planned spending wasn't in the cash flow to start.  I know I'm planning to spend money so it needs to show on my cash flow.  Or maybe I'm missing something.
  • pico
    pico Member
    looking forward to this new feature!
  • MitcheeP
    MitcheeP Member
    Great -- looking forward to it.  Need this in order to fully leave my Excel-based budgeting.

• TapDatApp
    TapDatApp Member
    Right now, you can only view the Spending Plan for the current month. Knowing some bills or expenses will end next month, I'd like to be able to view the Spending Plan in advance to know early how much money I will have to spend.
  • bloucks15
    bloucks15 Member
    edited August 2021
    Just like Quicken.  Otherwise it takes the "plan" out of Spending Plan.  Simplifi has this information, it just needs to display it.  The fact I cannot see income vs spending until It's actually next month makes the program almost worthless.  I get to find out last minute if my anticipated income less or more than the planned spending.  I would prefer to know this ahead of time. Every month is different, why do I just get to see the current month? 
  • Any update on when this feature will be rolled out? It's nice to see 6months worth of recurring bills and recurring planned spending, but I'd like to be able to create a spending plan for future months for those larger once or twice a year things (like in August I'd like to create a spending plan for September that includes back to school shopping, in December for Christmas, etc). It's a pretty basic feature to create a budget for a month we aren't in yet.
  • Any updates on this feature? We typically plan out our spending for the next month in the last week of the current month.
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @T35Stryker,

Thanks for reaching out for an update, although I'm sorry to say that the ability to have future Spending Plans has been delayed, and we don't have an ETA to provide as to when we can expect to see this in Simplifi.

Please be sure to follow along here for future updates, though! :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • anlyssana
    anlyssana Member
    edited September 2021
    Not being able to see future months is making me want to cancel. I assumed we would be able to do this when I signed up. Makes no sense that we don’t have the ability to forecast our cash flow. 
    Also, we are not given alerts if we are exceeding our available spend when we create categories in a spending plan and allot a certain amount. Those are just arbitrary numbers and we have to do the math to make sure they don’t exceed our available spend? Furthermore, we can’t even make the adjustments month to month bc we can’t see our future month spending plans. [removed - inappropriate].
  • Sstrico
    Sstrico Member ✭✭✭
    I agree - being able to see future months is important.  I just entered property tax payment in October.  I can see it in the cash flow view for my bank account, but not in the spending plan.  The month September is at the top of the spending plan with a arrows in either direction.  I took that to mean I could click the arrows and go forward or back a month, but the arrows are nonfunctional.  After entering the October transaction, it is now unaccessible so I can't edit it, for example.
  • We need this feature ASAP!!
  • I am so surprised this functionality is not yet present. Totally need to plan now for Christmas holiday season spending.
  • BTW I can’t figure out how to add my vote to this
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @Gbiggers,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback here!

To clarify, this Idea post is currently unable to be voted on because it's 'In Progress', which means that the feature is already coming to Simplifi. Unfortunately, at this time, there's no ETA to provide as to when we can expect to see Future Spending Plans in Simplifi, however, please be sure to continue following along here for any updates. 

I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie
  • Micah
    Micah Member ✭✭
    @Coach Natalie and Smiplifi team, can we get any kind of ETA on this? Is it even on a sticky note in some agile/scrum/kanban situation anywhere?

I want to like Simplifi, and recommend it to my friends but I just can't when there is no ability to actually put a future plan in the software. It's so frustrating to see blog posts like this calming to support "any kind of budget" but you can't actually use the software to budget.
  • Kristina S.
    Kristina S. Member ✭✭
    Agreed!  Can we please have an update?  This was marked "in progress" back in January, which was 10 months ago.  
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @Micah & @Kristina S.,

Thanks for the inquiry! Unfortunately, this feature has been delayed and I still don't have an ETA to provide as to when we can expect to see it in Simplifi.

We appreciate everyone's continued patience!

-Coach Natalie
This discussion has been closed.