Other Spending bubbles show NON-'Other Spending' items from split transactions (edited)

ramza1011
ramza1011 Member ✭✭
edited April 2023 in Report a Bug
I have 2 categories, let's call them Cat A and Cat B. I've got Cat A set up in Planned Spending, but not B.

If I have a split transaction that includes both A and B, then I see Cat A getting deducted from Planned Spending (which I expect) AND Other Spending (which I did not expect). Cat B only shows up in Other Spending, which I expected.

Please fix this, thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited October 2021
    Hello @ramza1011,

Thank you for taking the time to report this to the Community, although I apologize that you're seeing this behavior in Simplifi.

When attempting to replicate this, I see that the 'Category A' portion of the split transaction is being properly applied to the Planned Spending Item that I have set up for it, and I also see that the 'Category B' portion of the split is being properly applied towards Other Spending as expected, and I'm not seeing that anything is being applied where it shouldn't be. I am also seeing that the various Spending Plan Totals are being properly impacted. 

With that being said, is this occurring on the Mobile or the Web App? Do you have screenshots that you could provide, by chance, so that I can get a better idea of what's going on?

Please let me know so I can best assist!

-Coach Natalie
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    I do a lot of split transactions...a lot of them.  Today, I noticed this oddity since I as of yet only have 3-4 actual transactions entered for November (it's only November 2nd).

This one for Groceries has a Planned Spending set up for it so it shouldn't show up here.

As I understand it, the only things that should show up here under Spending > Other Spending are things that aren't covered elsewhere.  It appears that when there is a split with part of the transaction being covered elsewhere (Spending > Planned spending) and the other part truly fitting the meaning of "Other Spending", ALL the categories / spending shows up on this bubble graph under Spending > Other spending.

Is this intentional, Simplifi?
    Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting, I just checked and those bubbles don't show up on Desktop, they only show up on mobile.  So, Mobile and Desktop appear to be displaying them differently.  To me, it seems that Desktop is the displaying them correctly.

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @Flopbot,

Thanks for posting to the Community regarding this issue, although I'm sorry to hear that you're seeing this behavior on the Simplifi Mobile App.

Since you're only seeing this issue on the Mobile App, let's start by getting you a fresh install. I would suggest fully uninstalling and then reinstalling the Simplifi Mobile App, while performing a device reboot in between. 

Hopefully doing so helps to resolve this matter for you, but please be sure to let me know if you're still seeing the issue so that I can get some more info from you to get it reported. :smiley:

-Coach Natalie
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Coach Natalie

I uninstalled the app,  restarted the phone,  and reinstalled the app. It still shows the extra bubbles. 
    Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @Flopbot,

Thanks for trying and posting back, although I'm sorry to hear that the trouble persists.

To get this reported, please provide me with the make, model, and OS of your mobile device. It would also be great to see a screenshot of the split transaction(s) in question showing the details of the split, as well as the Planned Spending item showing that the portion of the split transaction that should be going towards that item is not being included.

If you'd like to share this information privately, I can email you a link to our Secure File Exchange -- just let me know!

-Coach Natalie
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Coach Natalie,

Here's one of the transactions.  Note that my "Diapers" category is Planned Spending.  Sales Tax is Other Spending.  To me, it appears that on the mobile app when there is a split, every associated category - including those that are planned for - are getting tracked under the Other Spending bubbles.

Note that the $6.50 doesn't appear on desktop, but does appear as a light green bubble on mobile.

My Device:
    • Apple iPhone SE
    • Model: MHG43LL/A
    • Software Version 14.8
    Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @Flopbot,

Thank you for providing your mobile device information, as well as a screenshot of an example transaction!

Would you mind also grabbing a screenshot of the Planned Spending item for "Diapers" showing that the split transaction was not properly included on the Mobile App, as well as a comparison screenshot from the Web App showing that the transaction was properly dispersed to the Planned Spending item? 

Please let me know if you have any questions on what information I'm looking for! :smiley:

-Coach Natalie
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Coach Natalie,

Here's the screenshot from mobile of my "Diapers" spending plan.  As best I can tell, there doesn't appear to be a problem with the split transactions not showing up properly in the blue bar.  In this screenshot, Dollar General was $6.50 and Walmart was $59.35 totaling $65.85 so the blue bar is correct.

It also isn't a problem of something not being included on the mobile app; it's that the mobile app is including too much.  The problem appears to be that the "Other spending" bubbles on the mobile app show ALL spending (including Planned Spending) while the desktop's "Other spending" bubbles ONLY show "Other spending" as you would expect.

Let me know if you need anything else.
    Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    edited November 2021
    Hello @Flopbot,

Thank you for providing the additional screenshot!

I must have misunderstood -- I thought that the split transaction was being included in the 'Other spending' section instead of the 'Planned Spending' section, however, I do see from your screenshots that it's actually being allocated to both areas of the Spending Plan. 

I did go ahead and get this reported and will be sure to post back as soon as I receive an update. :smile:

-Coach Natalie

SIMPL-11053
  • ramza1011
    ramza1011 Member ✭✭
    Hi Natalie,
    I reported the bug further through a Help Center person, so hopefully they have all this logged now. The issue is happening only on the Mobile App; the Web App is working properly.
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @ramza1011,

Thanks for posting back!

I found the interaction that you had with our Support Team, as well as an existing Bug Ticket for this issue, so I made sure that your information was included on the Ticket. I will be sure to post back as soon as I receive an update. :smile:

-Coach Natalie

SIMPL-11053
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    For anyone following along, I believe this post is related to another post…

[removed self-referencing link to merged thread]

Thanks for turning in the bug report @ramza1011
    Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • leinhto
    leinhto Member
    I have having this same issue both on desktop and mobile. I categorize transactions and they still show up on Other Spending. The total of Other Spending does not change (should be lower).
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @leinhto,

Thank you for taking the time to report this to the Community, although I'm sorry to hear that you're also experiencing this issue in Simplifi.

To clarify, are you seeing the same exact behavior in Simplifi where Bills/Income and Planned Spending Items are being included in their proper place as well as Other Spending? If so, please let me know, and I can get your information added to the existing Ticket for this issue, and then you can follow along here for updates. :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • leinhto
    leinhto Member
    edited December 2021
    Hi @Coach Natalie

That is the issue. In the Spending Plan none of my Bills, Subscriptions and Savings Goals show up.

• Coach Natalie
    edited December 2021
    Hello @leinhto,

Thanks for confirming!

Based on your description, it sounds like you're experiencing an entirely different issue, and it appears that you've already posted about it here -- is that correct? If so, please look for a response from me there. :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @ramza1011 & @Flopbot,

Since we've had a lot of backend changes made with the Spending Plan recently, I just wanted to touch base to see if either of you are still experiencing this issue on the Simplifi Mobile App? If so, are you seeing the issue reoccur in current months, or are you just seeing it in past months?

Please let me know, thank you! :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Hey @Coach Natalie

Following up with your question.  With it being April 1st, I only have a couple transactions as of yet so it's easier to see the problem.

This is what shows up on the Desktop 3.44.2 (17376/f9132fe7d)...

And this is what shows up on the Mobile App 3.17.0 (38.26637.4012)...

The two circled in red shouldn't be displayed on the bubble since they are Planned Spending.

Thanks for following up.  Good hunting, I'm confident Simplifi will track it down!
    Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    Thanks for confirming @Flopbot! I gave the Ticket a bump. :wink:

-Coach Natalie
  • Coach Natalie

Hello @Flopbot & @ramza1011,

Thank you for your continued patience as this is being worked on!

It's been a while, so I wanted to follow up and see if either of you are still seeing this issue on the Mobile App. If so, please provide us with fresh examples, as well as submit your logs via the ‘Send Feedback’ option:

1. Log into the Simplifi Web App.
    2. Select Profile from the left-hand navigation bar.
    3. With the Profile menu open, hold down the Option key for Mac or the Alt key for Windows, and then click Send Feedback
    4. Leave all boxes checked, add a brief description of the issue, and then click Send

Please let us know, thank you!

-Coach Natalie

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coach Natalie well, I'm not sure. I suspect thre may be a problem with my Spending Plan>Planned Spending setup at this point. In trying to troubleshoot it…

Question: If you set a Planned Spending for the Parent Category (Home Goods), is it supposed to include ALL the spending in the Child Categories as well?

Home Goods

- Bathroom Stuff

- Kitchen Stuff

- Dinning Room Stuff

With my particular setup/example, I always apply categories at the Child-level and not the Parent-level.

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    edited March 2023

Hello @Flopbot,

When testing, it appears that yes, any spending in a Subcategory will apply to a Planned Spending expense for the Main Category.

When viewing the ticket for this issue, it appears that there were differences between the way Other Spending was displayed on Mobile vs Web, and the issue was just seen on the Mobile App (please see your comment here). I guess the best way to start testing this would be to compare your Other Spending on the Mobile App to the Web App to see if there are differences, such as what was outlined in your comment above. I'd also suggest comparing Planned Spending to be safe. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coach Natalie interesting, that's what I thought.

With this setup for Categories…

Which includes both the highlighted Child Categories (its a LONG list!)…

I tweaked my Planned Spending series…

Which resulted in this on Other Spending…

The only thing that should show up in Other Spending is the Sales Tax of .94 cents. Its already listed under the sales tax bubble, but the entire transaction is also showing up in the Home Goods bubble which should not be present at all.

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

And I turned in a report following your instructions above.

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie

Hello @Flopbot,

The original issue that we reported was occurring on the Mobile App specifically. Are you saying that you're now seeing the same exact issue on the Web App? Did you check the Mobile App and compare it to the Web App to see if the information is presented the same in both places? Did you check your Spending Plan totals between Mobile and Web to see if they match?

Since this thread is for a specific bug/behavior, we need to determine the following:

1. Is the bug that was already reported still occurring?
    2. If so, does that bug differ in any way than it did when originally reporting the issue (i.e. is it now occurring on Web as well as Mobile, etc.)?
    3. Is the issue an entirely new issue now, where the original issue may potentially be resolved?

The behavior as outlined in the existing bug ticket (as I understand it) is as follows:

• Planned Spending expenses were created for various Expense Categories.
    • Parts of split transactions used these Categories.
    • The splits were properly allocated to the appropriate Planned Spending expense.
    • The splits were also showing in Other Spending on Mobile only.
    • It appears that the amounts for Other Spending and Planned Spending seemed to match between Mobile and Web, so the Spending Plan totals were accurate in both locations (as far as I can tell). I see one set of screenshots that's a comparison between Mobile and Web where the totals match for Other Spending (this is in your comment here), but the bubbles on Mobile show the Categories in question.
    • The issue is that the Other Spending bubbles on Mobile included the split transactions — it seems this may have been more of a UI issue with the Other Spending bubbles on Mobile specifically.

Please let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coach Natalie I'm including this screenshot from mobile. It does appear that the problem is with the Desktop App. Feel free to split off my last post and this one to a new post if that makes more sense.

I'll have to address your specific questions at a later time.

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coach Natalie

Answers to your questions as best I understand this issue:

1. Is the bug that was already reported still occurring?
      1. I THINK that the bug is no longer occuring on the Mobile App.😀 However, it is now occuring on the Desktop App.😒
    2. If so, does that bug differ in any way than it did when originally reporting the issue (i.e. is it now occurring on Web as well as Mobile, etc.)?
      1. The orriginal bug differs in a good way - it is fixed!
    3. Is the issue an entirely new issue now, where the original issue may potentially be resolved?
      1. Yes, this is an entirely new issue.

For the NEW bug…

• Planned Spending expenses were created for various Expense Categories.
    • Parts of split transactions used these Categories.
    • The splits were properly allocated to the appropriate Planned Spending expense.
    • The splits were also showing in Other Spending on DESKTOP only.
    • It appears that the amounts for Other Spending and Planned Spending seemed to match between Mobile and Web, so the Spending Plan totals were accurate in both locations (as far as I can tell). I see one set of screenshots that's a comparison between Mobile and Web where the totals match for Other Spending (this is in your comment ?? here ??), but the bubbles on DESKTOP show the Categories in question.
    • The issue is that the Other Spending bubbles on DESKTOP included the split transactions — ?? it seems this may have been more of a UI issue with the Other Spending bubbles on DESKTOP specifically. ?? < Don't know about this last statment.

Thanks Natalie!

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
This discussion has been closed.