Reports Mess Up Payee Names

SRC54
SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2022 in Report a Bug
I know this is a minor thing, but something that should be fixed.  Simplifi mangles certain payee names in Reports.  To be clear, these show correctly in transactions lists and everywhere else that I have seen so far.

When you want to view a Spending Report by Payees, you get this:

Cvs instead of CVS
Att instead of AT&T
Winndixie instead of Winn-Dixie
Burnumhahn instead of Burnum-Hahn
Adt instead of ADT

The programming hates ampersands, hyphens and acronyms.

Steve
Quicken Simplifi Since 2021
MS Money/Quicken Classic Since 1991

Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Hello @SRC54,

Thank you for reporting this to the Community!

To confirm, you're referring to the graph at the top of the Report, correct? If so, I'm not finding any existing Bug Tickets for this, but I definitely think it's worth reporting to our Product Team as a visual/UI issue.

I'm only seeing one instance of this in my Spending by Payee Report (the ampersand was excluded from the name), so would you mind providing me with some screenshots of what you're seeing so I can share more examples with my Team? If so, please be sure to also include the transaction(s) themselves so we can see a comparison.

Much appreciated! :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Here's two.  PEEHIP and AT&T.  You can see in the screen captures that the Report says Peehip and Att but the transaction list has it correct.  I also found that ALFA Insurance is listed in reports as Alfa.

Steve

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Coach Natalie This error is on the web app. It works correctly in iPhone. 

Steve

• Coach Natalie
    Hello @SRC54,

Thank you for the examples!

I have gone ahead and gotten this reported and will be sure to post back as soon as I receive an update. :blush:

-Coach Natalie

SIMPL-11415
  • SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Coach Natalie This still hasn't been fixed. FYI

Steve

• Coach Natalie
    Hello @SRC54,

Thanks for letting us know!

Yes, the ticket for this issue is still open and being worked on. There's currently no ETA to provide on a resolution, however, I will be sure to let you know as soon as that changes.

-Coach Natalie
  • SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Coach Natalie
    Well, ok, I am back here where I reported this issue almost one year ago.  It seems Reports is not an area of concern for Simplifi.  

Steve

• Coach Natalie
    edited October 2022
    Hello @SRC54,

This issue is still being worked on and there's currently no ETA on a resolution. It looks like a code was written to resolve the matter, however, the code has been put on hold while our Product Team decides how to proceed, as the change will affect many other areas of the program. 

That's all the info I have for now, but I will be sure to post back as soon as I see anything new on the ticket. We appreciate your patience!

-Coach Natalie
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @SRC54,

I just wanted to touch base with you, as I reached out to the Product Team requesting an update on this. They stated that fixing this bug will require an entire refactoring of Reports; apparently, it's a pretty complex issue. Sadly, the issue has been placed on hold for now, so we still don't have an ETA to provide on a resolution.

We appreciate your continued patience!

-Coach Natalie
  • SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    @Coach Natalie

Well, I am disappointed that it takes years to fix something.  I suggest they rewrite the entire reports section as it really is a mess.

You can see why I almost didn't re-up.  As I said in my critique a few weeks ago, there must be just one coder working on this.  It is an error that never should have happened to begin with.  There are plenty of payees with two word names, ampersands, and hyphens.  It was sloppy coding.  Period.

And not to fix it after 14 months is plain unforgivable. It makes one feel that one might as well not point out bugs.  What good does it do?

When I renewed Simplifi, I got a survey.  I filled out the survey and then I got a message to please contact Quicken as they really, really want to fix things.  I just laughed.  I've been contacting Quicken for years.

Steve

• Coach Natalie

Hello @SRC54,

Thank you for your continued patience!

It looks like they put a fix version of 3.76.0 for the Web App on the ticket for this issue. Fingers crossed that they're able to get a fix in!

-Coach Natalie

• Coach Natalie

Hello again @SRC54,

The fix for this issue was moved to the 3.75.0 Web Release! 🥳

-Coach Natalie

• Coach Natalie

@SRC54, is this issue resolved for you now?

-Coach Natalie

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

@Coach Natalie

Sadly no. The ampersand is now right and perhaps the hyphens too, but the capitalizations are wrong. I now get at&t for AT&T, Cvs for CVS, Atm for ATM, Alfa for ALFA and Burnum-hahn for Burnum-Hahn. All of these are correct in the register and the rules, i.e., AT&T, ATM, CVS and Burnum-Hahn but they are wrong in Reports.

I now just type Winn Dixie and Burnum Hahn so that fixes the capitalization because if the letters aren't connected, Simplifi handles it correctly in Reports.

Anyhow, maybe next time they'll get the capitalization fixed. :)

Steve

• Coach Natalie

Hello @SRC54,

Thanks for posting back, although I'm sorry to hear that the trouble persists.

I'm not sure where the Product Team's focus was as far as capitalization versus actual missing characters, as I know the fix for this required a complete refactoring of how Payee Names are displayed in Reports. At any rate, I can certainly reopen the ticket and provide your feedback to see what they say.

To do so, please provide some screenshots of fresh examples. Seeing how the example transactions are displayed in the account registers with a comparison of how the same transactions look in Reports would be wonderful to have to show them.

-Coach Natalie

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

@Coach Natalie

Here you go. One screenshot that shows it perfectly. This is a payee report. At the top, you see the totals for the month with the payees incorrectly displayed.

Below it in the register list, you see how they are supposed to be. The only thing fixed is that At&t used to be Att. But it is supposed to be AT&T. Note: I merely use the acronyms that the businesses themselves use. If CVS signage and receipts said Cvs, I would use that, but they don't.

So the problem is this: The Payee Report will show the capitalization wrong if there is only one word and a letter or letters other than the first letter is capitalized. So ADT will be Adt, CVS will be Cvs, NorthRiver will be Northriver, Burnum-Hahn will be Burnum-hahn, Winn-Dixie will be Winn-dixie. If I change to two words as in Burnum Hahn and Winn Dixie (as I have), it will display correctly.

So the programming in that part of the Report screen is to capitalize first letter of every word and ignore whatever is in the register.

Steve

• Coach Natalie

Thanks, @SRC54!

I reopened the ticket and will let you know as soon as I hear back.

-Coach Natalie

SIMPL-11415

• Coach Natalie

@SRC54, it looks like this one slipped through the cracks for me to follow up with you on, but this should have been fixed as of last November.

Let me know if not and I'll take a closer look. Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Coach Natalie But on mine, it is still not fixed. It looks right on the graphic you have. But when I do a report on payees, it shows Cvs, Att and Atm instead of CVS, AT&T and ATM. I'll send you a screenshot.

Steve

• Coach Natalie

@SRC54, thanks for the screenshots!

I'll try reopening the ticket to see what they say. I do need to gather fresh logs from you first, though:

1. Log into the Quicken Simplifi Web App.
    2. Select Profile from the left-hand navigation bar.
    3. With the Profile menu open, hold down the Option key for Mac or the Alt key for Windows, and then click Send Feedback
    4. Leave all boxes checked, add a brief description of the issue, and then click Send.

Can you also provide a screenshot that shows an AT&T transaction in the register so it can be compared to the graph legend, please? I see one "NorthRiver", but no AT&T transaction is displayed.

-Coach Natalie

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Coach Natalie Done. I sent you the screenshot via Feedback and also via private message to you. Thanks.

Steve

• Coach Natalie

@SRC54, thanks!

I went ahead and reopened the ticket and provided your fresh screenshots and logs. I'll let you know when I hear back.

-Coach Natalie

SIMPL-11415

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.