Save Button Deactivated with Editing Splits on Desktop App

Flopbot
Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2022 in Report a Bug
Greetings,

I think - finally - I noticed a pattern on this one.  I do A LOT of splits and usually enter them from the Mobile App...they just seem to work better that way.  However, occasionally, I'd try entering or editing them from the Desktop App (Windows Chrome, Up-To-Date) and always ran into glitches.

At this point, I THINK that when you have a split, it deactivates (or more specifically doesn't activate) the "Update" button not allowing you to make changes to the transaction screen (Payee, Amount, Category, Tags, Amount, Visibility, Notes, etc.).  I believe this only applies to editing existing splits.

When you don't have a split, or when you're creating a new split with the Desktop App, everything works normally.

Chris
Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
New to Simplifi in 2021.
Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Hello @Flopbot,

Thank you for reporting this issue to the Community, although I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this behavior on the Simplifi Web App.

I haven't personally noticed any issues with the Update button when splitting transactions in Simplifi, and I also just successfully edited an existing split with no issue. With that said, I'd like to see if this may be browser-specific. Have you tried any other browsers, by chance? If not, I'd definitely suggest attempting to edit the same example that you provided above to see if you're able to save it from another browser. You can also test this by using incognito or private mode instead of another browser.

Please let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Coach Natalie

Okay, while working from an HP laptop, using the same transaction as above - this time in MS Edge (Version 101.0.1210.53 (Official build) (64-bit)) - I opened up the same pre-existing split transaction and tried adjusting these two fields.  Neither adjustment activated the Update button.

Also, I tried it in Incogneto Mode in Google Chrome (Version 101.0.4951.67 (Official Build) (64-bit)) and it had the same issue.

When I use the Mobile App, it functions properly.
    Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @Flopbot,

Thanks for trying different browsers and posting back!

I have gone ahead and gotten this escalated and will be sure to post back as soon as I receive an update. 

-Coach Natalie

SIMPL-12634
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @Flopbot,

Thank you for your patience as this is being worked on!

The Product Team is having a hard time finding the root of the problem, and, like myself, they are unable to reproduce it. They asked me to check with you to see if you're still seeing this issue.

Please let us know, thank you!

-Coach Natalie
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello again @Flopbot,

Were you able to take a look at this, by chance? Please let us know, thank you! 

-Coach Natalie
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    @Coach Natalie

Yes, I confirm that I am still seeing this problem on an HP laptop running Windows and using Google Chrome Version 106.0.5249.62 (Official Build) (64-bit).  Also seeing it in Chrome Incognito Mode.

Steps to Repeat:
    1. Using Mobile App, enter a split transaction.
    2. Save & close Mobile App.
    3. Open Desktop App, find transaction, and edit using Three Dots > Edit Transaction.
    4. Change category or amount of one of the splits.
    5. Note that the Update button stays greyed out.
    6. The only way to proceed is to close the pop up edit window using the X in the upper right hand corner.
    7. When doing this, any changes are not saved.
    8. Return to Mobile App, where changes can be made just fine.
    Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    Thanks for getting back to me, @Flopbot!

To confirm, does the issue only occur when entering the split transaction from the Mobile App, and then editing it on the Web App? 

Please let me know so I can let the Team know! 

-Coach Natalie
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Coach Natalie

I just checked and - yes - the Update button is only greyed out when the transaction is created starting on Mobile App and then I go to edit it on the Desktop App.

When the transaction is created starting on the Desktop App and then I go back to edit it on the Desktop App, the button functions as expected...

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    Thanks for confirming, @Flopbot!

I'll let you know once an update is received on the escalation. :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @Flopbot,

Thank you for your continued patience!

The Team is still having a hard time reproducing this issue, and they're wondering if it's occurring on just one specific transaction, or if you're seeing it with any transaction that was added and split via the Mobile App, and then edited via the Web App.

If you're still able to reproduce the behavior, please provide us with an example transaction or two that the issue is occurring with that includes the Date, Payee, and Amount. The Team has also requested that you submit your data file and logs via the 'Send Feedback' option. You may do so by following these steps:
    1. Log into the Simplifi Web App.
    2. Select Profile from the left-hand navigation bar.
    3. With the Profile menu open, hold down the Option key for Mac or the Alt key for Windows, and then click Send Feedback
    4. Leave all boxes checked, add a brief description of the issue, and then click Send
    We look forward to hearing back from you with some example transactions, and please let me know once you've submitted feedback. Thanks in advance!

-Coach Natalie
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    @Coach Natalie, well, that was interesting.  Yes, I confirm that I am still seeing this problem on an HP laptop running Windows and using Google Chrome Version 106.0.5249.62 (Official Build) (64-bit).  Also seeing it in Chrome Incognito Mode.

This is happening on with multiple transactions.  However, after much testing, I'm adding one critical step to my notes (Step #2).

Steps to Repeat:
    1. Using Mobile App, enter a split transaction.
    2. Using Mobile App, add an attachment!
    3. Save & close Mobile App.
    4. Open Desktop App, find transaction, and edit using Three Dots > Edit Transaction.
    5. Change category or amount of one of the splits.
    6. Note that the Update button stays greyed out.
    7. Option A to Proceed - Close the pop up edit window using the X in the upper right hand corner.
    8. When doing this, any changes are not saved.
    9. Return to Mobile App, where changes can be made just fine.
    10. Option B to Proceed - Delete the attachment!  Then, the Save button becomes selectable.
    Here is an example transaction...

If your team is still having a hard time replicating the error after adding Step #2, let me know and I'll submit my data file and logs.  However, I think this step might be unnecessary after adding Step #2.

Let me know if you need more info.  Thanks for following up on it!

[edited image to reduce size]
    Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    edited October 2022
    I think the attachment is the key, @Flopbot!

When following your latest steps by adding an attachment to a split transaction via the Mobile App, I am now personally able to reproduce this behavior. In fact, the transaction doesn't even need to be split -- I think the issue is just when adding an attachment via the Mobile App and then trying to edit the transaction on the Web App. I added a regular (non-split) transaction with an attachment on the Mobile App and then tried to split the transaction on the Web App and the 'Update' button did not activate. 

I let the Team know what's going on, and I will let you know if they'd still like for you to send your logs and file, or if they need any further info from you. Otherwise, I will be in touch as soon as an update is received. :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @Flopbot,

Great news! Now that we've identified the root cause, a fix for this issue is expected with the 3.68.0 Web Release. Please let us know if you see an issue after that time.

-Coach Natalie
This discussion has been closed.