"Overspending" on Mobile App

DannyB
DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2023 in Report a Bug
In the Mobile App I am shown to have overspent my spending plan for January, February, March and April on the Spending Plan view.  But when I click on the "Planned spending" tab where I'm supposed to have overspent, the overspent amount goes form an actual amount (in screen shot below $1,021.61),  to $0.00 overspent on the next page (screen shot below).   In addition, none of my planned spending categories show overspent.  In fact one or two may even still show "unused funds" which shouldn't be there either. The Web app shows that I have no overspending for each month and doesn't show any "unused funds".  I suspect this is s bug in the mobile app... and I suspect this is why I only have one "Savvy Spender" badge and a current streak of ZERO months! :wink::blush:

Screen shots of Mobile app:

[edited images to reduce size]
Danny
Simplifi user since 01/22
Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Hello @DannyB,

Thank you for taking the time to report this to the Community, although I'm sorry to hear that you're seeing this issue on the Simplifi Mobile App.

Since you're just seeing this on the Mobile App, let's start by fully uninstalling and then reinstalling the App while performing a device reboot in between. If the issue persists, please provide a screenshot of the same Planned Spending month from the Web App so that we can see a comparison. 

Let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie
  • DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Greetings @Coach Natalie
    I uninstalled Simplifi from both my iPad and Samsung phone.  I turned both off waited a few minutes, turned them both on and reinstalled Simplifi on both and signed back in.  Here are screen shots from my phone, the iPad and from the web app.  This is for the month of April.  January - March are showing the same problem.  If you want screen shots of each month just let me know.

My mobile gadgets: Samsung S21 Ultra SM-G998U, Android 12.  Apple iPad Air (4th generation) software version 15.4.1
    1st image is web view on a Dell running Windows 10 and using Chrome.
    2nd image is from my iPad
    3rd image is from my Samsung

Danny
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @DannyB,

Thank you for attempting the steps and posting back, although I'm sorry to hear that the trouble persists. 

Sadly, I am seeing similar issues on the Mobile App for past month's Spending Plans. I went ahead and got everything reported and will be sure to post back as soon as an update is received.

-Coach Natalie 

SIMPL-12649
  • DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you!
    Danny
  • DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Hello @Coach Natalie.  You may remember or conversation here [removed self-referencing link]. It looks like I'll miss out on the the Savvy Spender badge for May and my "streak" will remain at zero  :'(  When I closed out May, on the mobile app Simplifi is showing that I over spent my planned spending by $1517!  When I click on "Planned Spending and scroll through my planned spending all categories show no over spending.  There is a ~red !~ icon indicating overspending somewhere, but the amount overspent displays as $0.00 over spent.  On top of that after squaring each category by releasing remaining money, Simplifi indicates I have $2300.00 available at the end of May.  On the mobile I continue to show being over spent although in the Web app all is peachy.

I know you have already reported this and will let me know when an update but just want to let you know I'm still seeing this.   Wonder is anyone else has reported this issue?

Thanks.
    Danny
  • Coach Natalie
    edited June 2022
    Hello @DannyB,

I'm sorry to hear of the issue with your Savvy Spender badge and streak due to this issue. 

I went ahead and added this information to the existing ticket and have expressed your concern to the Product Team. I'm not sure if they have the ability to manually reset the streak, or how they would go about resolving this matter, but I will be sure to let you know as soon as I receive any news.

Thank you for your patience as this is being worked on!

-Coach Natalie
  • DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Coach Natalie, I'm not really all that concerned with the badges... but they are part of Simplifi and I believe they are meant to be a bit of a motivator to encourage and reward sound personal financial practices.  Also, my kids would probably tell you I'm a bit "anal" (their word not mine!) and I can get a bit antsy over stuff like this.  Still, I'm really just joking (at least a little) with regard to the badges and don't need any special fiddling around to get them to show up.  If I'm meeting the thresholds to earn a badge, great.  If not and what the badge represent is important to me then I need to make some changes so that I do meet the threshold.

Instead what I wonder is if this is an issue unique to me or if others have reported the problem. If this is unique to me I'm wondering if there is some explanation for what I'm seeing and why the mobile and web apps are reporting different results.

I can say that I have overspent in at least one category during any given month.  What I have done each time I am over spent is to adjust the amount up to cover the extra spending either using money that Simplifi designates as "Available" or by reducing the amount set aside for another planned spending category equal to what I have adjusted the overspent category. 

I have wondered if Simplifi mobile is not acknowledging these adjustments (in which case neither should the web app) and thus it is seeing and reports over spending based on the amount in the series rather than the adjusted amount for a particular month even though when you go to Planned spending for a given month none of the planned spending categories show being over spent since they had been adjusted earlier in the month.  (Wow, take a deep breath for that is a looooonnnnngggg sentence.)

In any case, if that is what is happening, why is it happening in the mobile app but not in the web app.

All that to say, don't bother the developers with trying to force the badges... rather is there something I need to do so that the web app and mobile app report the same or if there is a bug in one or the other apps that is causing the discontinuity.

Thanks for your support and for this lively community.
    Danny
  • Coach Natalie
    edited June 2022
    Great questions, @DannyB!

Although I'm not sure what's causing the issue, I am personally seeing this issue and it appears to be Mobile App-specific; I believe we've had a few other users report the issue as well.

Personally, I'm not seeing the issue on the Mobile App until I go back to March, and since I actually did overspend in March in general, it's hard for me to tell if the issue is impacting my Savvy Spender streak. Additionally, the streak on the Mobile App seems to match what I'm seeing on the Web App. 

At any rate, I think it was a good point to mention to the Team since other users are also being impacted by this issue, and some may really want to keep their streak. :wink:

-Coach Natalie
  • DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Oh, don't get me wrong... I love getting those Achievement badges 😃🎉.  Here is an oddity for further  consideration.  In the screen shots below, Mobile app on Samsung S21 you will notice I do have a 1 month Savvy Spender badge awarded 2/7 I guess for January.  But you will also notice the mobile app reports I over spent in January.  I seem to remember that this problem didn't  crop up until a couple of months into this year.  It may have cropped up when other problems were being addressed since I remember having to release unused funds a couple of times for past months.

Danny
  • Coach Natalie
    edited June 2022
    Thanks for the additional info, @DannyB!

I'd definitely suggest keeping an eye on it and then creating a separate post if you're seeing any issues with your Achievements outside of this reported issue. :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • LWrathBudget
    LWrathBudget Member ✭✭
    I'm seeing this issue as well. I've chatted with the Help Center on this extensively, so there should be some awareness. It has to do with the amount you originally set as your Planned Spending on recurring categories. I would rather just not have the alert at all rather than it be incorrect. I end up just deleting all of my Planned Spending from past months because it drives me crazy!
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @LWrathBudget,

Thanks for sharing your feedback with the Community, although I'm sorry to hear that you're also seeing this issue on the Simplifi Mobile App.

It looks like the issue that you reported to Chat Support has been escalated; I'm not seeing an ETA on a fix as of yet, however, the original Agent that you worked with will be back in touch as soon as any updates become available.

Otherwise, you are also more than welcome to follow this post for any updates on the other tickets that have been opened for this same issue in hopes that it's resolved for everyone at the same time. :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Coach Natalie  It’s me again  :) squeaky wheeling it on this minor but persistent issue… Planned Spending over spending warning in the mobile app.  Here are screen shots for June.  As noted this is only happening in the mobile app.  

Danny
  • Coach Natalie
    Thanks, @DannyB!

Yes, it looks like the issue is still ongoing, however, the Team is hard at work on a fix. I'm not seeing an expected fix version as of yet, but we should have this issue resolved fairly soon.

We appreciate your continued patience!

-Coach Natalie
  • Coach Natalie
    Great news, @DannyB! It looks like a fix for this issue is expected with the 3.22.0 Mobile Release. :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pass along my thanks to the development team, @Coach Natalie for resolving the overspending problem in the mobile app in v. 3.22.0.  The new version is live on Android but still waiting for the new version in the Apple App Store.  Great work, team!
    Danny
  • Coach Natalie
    Will do, @DannyB! :blush:

-Coach Natalie
This discussion has been closed.