Add additional Frequency options for Recurring Transactions [edited] (26 Merged Votes)

mazar1977
mazar1977 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited March 7 in Feature Requests

I actually have 2 suggestions regarding recurring transactions.

1) The location to find recurring transaction list is a little cumbersome. It would be helpful if instead of having to go to your settings for the whole program and select RECURRING, if when you added a transaction in the register, you had a button that said "Recurring" and it would open up the setup to make that transaction recurring right there during entry.

2) In addition to current time frames, it would be helpful if you could select "On the X day of every month". Example, I have a deposit from Social Security that is always on the 3rd Wednesday of every month but the actual day and date is different each month. So if I were to set this up in Simplify, it would be "Recurring every month on the 3rd Wednesday"

12 votes

Completed · Last Updated

Custom Frequency options are now available for Recurring Transactions!

Comments

• Coach Tappan
    Coach Tappan Retired Coach ✭✭✭✭

Hi! Coach Tappan here! Those are terrific suggestions! I really like the "On the X day of every month" idea. That would work well for me, too! There is a slightly quicker way to get from an individual transaction to the Recurring dialog, by clicking the little down arrow on the right side of the listing to bring up the Details dropdown. From there you can edit an existing transaction, or make a transaction recurring. (See the image below.) But I'll pass your suggestion for a more visible Recurring button on to our development team. Please keep the comments and suggestions coming!

• hikerspath
    hikerspath Member ✭✭

First, was going to provide same screenshot, but for the second part, I wouldn't want to loose the additional reoccurrence frequencies. In addition to times of the month (which you seem to figure out with looking at transaction history, there is no way to account for quarterly payments or every 6 months. These would be SUPER additions.

--
    macOS: 10.15.1
    iOS: 13.1.2
    AppVersion: 4.0

• Coach Tappan
    edited November 2019

@ hikerspath We appreciate the feedback! The idea of adding other frequencies for Recurring payments, like bimonthly, quarterly, and six months, is one of the most frequently requested features other users have given us. I know our development team is considering this for a future update, but you add your "vote" to move it up our priority list by checking the box in this topic: Recurring Transaction Times

• Coach Paco
    Coach Paco Moderator admin

@hikerspath we have a vote going on in our community regarding changing the timeframe of recurring payments. I suggest casting a vote so we can possibly see a change in the future :) !

• memorycard_j
    memorycard_j Member
    edited January 2020
    I noticed tonight when I was given a suggested list of bills that when imported in the dates were wrong. When I went to correct the date the frequency was listed as "Custom" but when I clicked on it the "Custom" prompt went away and I was left with the preset list of Frequencies. I'm looking for a frequency of every 4 weeks so I got excited when i saw the "Custom" prompt. Is there an option for setting truly "Custom" frequencies coming? Every 4 weeks would be a killer choice for those of us who are paid bi-weekly.
  • Coach Tappan

@memorycard_j I noticed the same thing a week or so ago. I believe the "Custom" frequency option isn't fully implemented yet, though I know it's being worked on for a future update. But I'm not sure what causes an imported transaction to come in with the "Custom" option if it can't be used. There is an "Every two weeks" option for people who are paid biweekly on the same day of the week, but not one for every four weeks. Thanks for your suggestion.
    You can click the "star" icon at the upper right if you want to "follow" this discussion to keep track of this issue.

• mazar1977
    mazar1977 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

@Coach Tappan @Coach Paco I like the changes you have done to recurring transactions and being able to adjust them on the fly for 1 off instances. I noticed the discussion you mention above for Recurring Transaction Times is closed as I was going to add my comment there.

Any word on adding "On the X day of each month"?

• Coach Tappan

@mazar1977 We haven't been able to implement that option yet. The closest option we currently have is the "Every Two Weeks" frequency, which does set up a payment on a specific date each month. But it also sets up a second payment 15 days later! I'll mention your request again to our development team since it seems to me it would be fairly easy to implement. We'll post an update in this topic if we're able to get it set up.

• jdbabish
    jdbabish Unconfirmed, Member
    edited May 2020

What happens if you have recurring income for two household individuals from the same source: social security and a pension are my examples? It seems as if simplifi doesn't recognize the second person's social security payment or pension as separate. The pension is from the same source and of course so is social security.

• Coach Tappan

@jdbabish Thanks for your question! That issue can usually be solved by changing the "Payer name" on one of the deposits -- for example "SSI #1" and "SSI #2." That also works for expenses like gym memberships for several family members. If any of the details for those credits are different -- the bank memo, the deposit date, or the amount, for instance -- Simplifi should be able to learn to tell them apart and match them correctly the next time they come in.

• mljshield3
    mljshield3 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

Love to see an option to make income "Every 4 weeks". My wife gets paid every two weeks, and every other check has our health insurance come out. So she gets the same check every 4th week. Let's assume we're talking about March and April for example. March 10th she gets check #1 - $1400. March 24th she gets check #2, $1250. April 7th $1400 again, April 21st $1250 again. I'd set it for monthly but that throws off my OCD...:)

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin

Hello @mljshield3,

Thanks for posting this to the Community!

I have gone ahead and turned this into an Idea post so that other Users can vote on it. Please be sure to add your vote as well! :smile:

-Coach Natalie

• pawayne
    pawayne Member ✭✭
    I would like to suggest an additional one. My wife and I receive Social Security payment each month. One being the second Wednesday of the month and mine the 4th Wednesday of each month.
    Thanks
  • mkld123
    mkld123 Unconfirmed, Member

This is definitely a issue as Social security deposits are all done by day not date. So the app reminds you incorrectly and with seniors it’s easy to get confused.

• TVee54
    TVee54 Member ✭✭
    I have to pay multiple bills every four weeks. This means every few months, I pay twice a month. Right now, there is no way to add this as a recurring bill within Simplifi, a month would be inaccurate for my budget.
  • purdnost
    purdnost Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    I have a couple of recurring bills that occur on the last day of every month. I can schedule a recurring bill for the 30th of this month (last day in September), but the last day of next month (October) is the 31st.

In this case, I would like the ability to specify the last day of the month, whatever day that lands on.

Other examples: First Friday, third day, fifth weekday, last weekend day, etc.
  • gt7599a
    gt7599a Member
    edited September 2021
    Some software as a service subscriptions grant a discount if you pay every two years.  I'd like to not be surprised by these fees but can only set a bill to be longest annual.

It appears this feature request would also address my need.
    [removed self-referencing link to merged thread]
  • Coach Natalie
    edited September 2021
    Hello @gt7599a,

Thank you for taking the time to post your suggestion to the Community!

I have gone ahead and merged your Idea post with the existing Idea post requesting additional Reminder Frequencies in Simplifi -- please be sure to follow along here for updates! :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • G33k
    G33k Member
    I just installed the product today (trial) and, coming from Quicken, was disappointed by the lack of options on recurring.  'Every 4 weeks' is not an option (as mentioned above)   :(     I have multiple recurring things that happen every 4 weeks vs. same date every 1 month.
  • I currently have some recurring items through Amazon and that I keep track of through the subscriptions section of Simplifi. I have one subscription that is every 3 weeks and another that is every 6 weeks. I also visit the chiropractor every 3 weeks as well, which I keep up with as a bill. These frequency options don't seem to be available currently. I currently just continue to keep up with these things monthly, which is less than ideal. Would be nice to see a larger selection of frequency options for those items. 
  • Vinifinpro
    Vinifinpro Member
    edited January 2022
    Custom recurring dates, similar to iOS calendar. Example in the video attached:

Option to create a “planned spending” for everything else not yet planned.
    - For example: I planned out for for groceries and Auto expenses. Now I want to put a limit on my monthly expenses for everything else besides “groceries and auto expenses”. But I realized that I can only do that for one category at a time.
  • Coach Natalie
    edited January 2022
    Hello @Vinifinpro,

Thanks for posting your suggestions to the Community!

I have gone ahead and turned this Idea post into a request for a custom date range in Recurring items specifically. For your other suggestion, you'll want to go ahead and create a separate Idea post for this, as each Idea post should contain just one request. That way, each suggestion can receive the individual attention that it deserves, as well as be voted on accordingly. :smile:

https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/998/creating-and-voting-for-ideas-in-the-community

-Coach Natalie
  • Mrluke
    Mrluke Member
    When's scheduling a repeating reminder or upcoming transaction  We need more flexibility with scheduling.

It allows for every week,every day, every month,every year But we need a customizable Repeating transaction.

I guess what I'm saying is I would like to schedule events for the fourth thursday of every month.

Or the last Thursday of every month which is not necessarily the 4th one.

Right now there is no good work around.

I am navigating here from quicken and I realize it's not the same program and there's going to be adjustments And I can learn new work around but this is just flat out unavailable

• volchic16
    volchic16 Member
    Please add this functionality ASAP.
  • Mrluke
    Mrluke Member
    Absolutely.  A NEED.

Must have custom date range 

I pay my bills on my payday which is a Thursday. 

I have manual transaction that I enter on those days.

I have every manual bill set up to pay ahead of time on certain Thursdays of the month. The date changes on those constantly but they are.always paid on the first through 4th Thursdays 
  • Mrluke
    Mrluke Member
    https://youtu.be/vbqY8V69s8w

From another user
  • I get paid on the third Wednesday of the month. There is no option for this!
  • Doug
    Doug Member
    My Social Security payment arrives every month on the fourth Wednesday. EVERYONE on SS needs this functionality. Please implement.
  • RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me too

Rob Wilkens

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed it said the feature change was underway as of April 2021.  It's now March 2022.   I get that software is complicated, but can someone confirm any progress in the last 11 months?

Rob Wilkens

This discussion has been closed.