Why does the Simplifi app cut off long characters? I can't make the correct rule when it does.

Options
jlmess77
jlmess77 Member
edited August 2022 in Managing Your Transactions
I am having a difficult time making the rules with Google and a few others because the Simplifi app cut off the long characters.

For example, in my actually bank statement shows "Debit Card Purchase GOOGLE*GOOGLE FI SUPPORT.GOOGL CA" .... While in the Simplifi app only can showing "Debit Card Purchase GOOGLE*GOOG".

Google has some separate branches of business. How can I make a rule with this limited "Debit Card Purchase GOOGLE*GOOG"?

The Simplifi app shouldn't cut off the characters what it was actually showing in my bank statement.

I like the Simplifi app but it kind of affects my decision to pay Simplifi app because it messed up my display of bills or income or others.

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Hello @jlmess77,

Thank you for taking the time to report this behavior to the Community, although I apologize that you're experiencing difficulties with how your Payees are downloading in Simplifi.

The best way to determine where the issue lies is to download your transactions from the bank directly to a QFX file, and then open the file in a word doc. You'll then want to compare the Payee names in the QFX file to the "Appears on your statement as..." info for the transactions in Simplifi to see if the Payee name matches. 

Please let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie
  • jlmess77
    Options
    Ah I see... It explains. My bank does cut off the characters in the <NAME> but not on the <MEMO>. I guess the Simplifi app reads the <NAME> tag. I have so many names cut off. Do you have any solution for my issue? Oh by the way, it's from Commerce Bank (commercebank.com).

<STMTTRN>
    						<TRNTYPE>DEBIT
    						<DTPOSTED>....
    						<TRNAMT>-51.65
    						<FITID>...
    						<NAME>Debit Card Purchase  GOOGLE*GOOG
    						<MEMO>Debit Card Purchase  GOOGLE*GOOGLE FI  SUPPORT.GOOGL CA
    					</STMTTRN>
    					<STMTTRN>
    						<TRNTYPE>DEBIT
    						<DTPOSTED>...
    						<TRNAMT>-14.99
    						<FITID>...
    						<NAME>Debit Card Purchase  GOOGLE *GOO
    						<MEMO>Debit Card Purchase  GOOGLE *GOOGLE PLAY  G.CO/HELPPAY# CA
    					</STMTTRN>
    					<STMTTRN>
    						<TRNTYPE>DEBIT
    						<DTPOSTED>...
    						<TRNAMT>-4.99
    						<FITID>...
    						<NAME>Debit Card Purchase  GOOGLE *DIS
    						<MEMO>Debit Card Purchase  GOOGLE *DISCOVERY PLUS  G.CO/HELPPAY# CA
    					</STMTTRN>
    					<STMTTRN>
    						<TRNTYPE>DEBIT
    						<DTPOSTED>...
    						<TRNAMT>-51.29
    						<FITID>...
    						<NAME>Debit Card Purchase  MARY STREET
    						<MEMO>Debit Card Purchase  MARY STREET ICEHOUSE
    					</STMTTRN>

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options
    Hello @jlmess77,

Unfortunately, since the bank is providing the Payee name that way, there's nothing further that can be done from our end. You can, however, contact the bank directly to see if they're able to do anything from their end. 

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you!

-Coach Natalie
  • jlmess77
    Options
    Thanks. I doubt they will change but I will try to contact my bank about it.
This discussion has been closed.