Payee rename rules ignore "Appears on statement"

randominseattle
edited September 2022 in Report a Bug
For some reason, during the import process, *some* transactions that appear on my Amex statement as "GIG CAR SHARE BERKELEY CA" are being renamed to "Jonathans". (Jonathan being my first name.) I have no payee rules set up that would create transactions named "Jonathans". Example:

When I try to set up a payee rename rule (from settings|payee rules) with "gig" as a keyword, it does not find these transactions (only other transactions that I have already manually renamed to "Gig Car Share"). If I use "jonathans" as the keyword, it does find these transactions, but that's not a good rule to have since I have no idea what other transactions might get renamed in this way.

It appears that there is some auto-renaming going on, and the manual rename rule is ignoring the "appears on statement" text and looking only at the result of that auto-renaming.

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Hello @randominseattle,

Thank you for visiting the Community and posting about this issue, although I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing difficulties with your transactions in Simplifi. 

To clarify, is the primary issue that the transactions are being renamed to "Jonathans", or that you're unable to apply a Rule to existing transactions using the "Appears on your statement as..." info? Do you ultimately want a Rule created for this Payee, or are you trying to determine/resolve the auto-renaming to "Jonathans"?

Also, what is the name of the financial institution in question? And is this occurring on a connected account, or when importing transactions using a CSV file?

Please let us know so we can best assist!

-Coach Natalie
  • If I had to pick one issue to be fixed, it's being unable to apply a rule to existing transactions using "Appears on your statement as". I can live with the auto-renaming being buggy in this case as long as I can override it with a rule, which I can't today.

The financial institution is American Express, using a connected account.
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @randominseattle,

Thanks for posting back and confirming the bank!

I think what's going on here is we have a known issue with American Express where transactions are downloading with the wrong Payee name, typically something that includes the cardholder's name. With that said, using the screenshot that you provided above, I went ahead and got this escalated and will be sure to post back as soon as an update is received.

Hopefully resolving this matter will also fix the issue that you're seeing with creating a Payee Rule for these transactions. :smile:

-Coach Natalie

CTP-4068
  • Coach Natalie
    edited July 2022
    Hello @randominseattle,

Thank you for your patience as this was being worked on!

I've received an update from my Team stating that the renaming should no longer be occurring. Would you mind taking a look at your newly downloaded transactions to confirm, please? If the issue is indeed no longer occurring, please note that the fix will only be applied to new transactions and that any existing transactions will need to be manually corrected.

Please let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello again @randominseattle,

Have you been able to take a look at this, by chance? Please let us know!

-Coach Natalie
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @randominseattle,

I just wanted to reach out one last time before closing out the escalation -- please let us know if you're still seeing an issue.

-Coach Natalie
  • Hey Natalie, I’ve only had a couple transactions since July 27 with the payee that was previously causing problems, but those transactions came in as I would want them to.
  • Coach Natalie
    That's great, @randominseattle!

I went ahead and got the ticket closed out as resolved, however, please be sure to let us know if the issue ends up popping back up. Please also let us know if you continue to experience an issue with creating Payee Rules and we'll do our best to assist.

Otherwise, I'm glad we were able to get things working properly for you! :smile:

-Coach Natalie
This discussion has been closed.