Unable to edit Payee Rule on the Mobile App - Duplicate Created (edited)

Options
kidd
kidd Member
edited January 29 in Feedback

Please add a way to edit the rule names on iOS. When I click on the rule name, I can change the category rule and payee rule, but I can't change the name of the rule. This is important because it's also the name that the transaction gets updated to when the payee rule gets applied.

Rule names can be updated on web, but it would be handy to be able to make the change on mobile also.

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@kidd, thanks for posting to the Community!

I'm not sure that I'm following the issue, as you should be able to edit Transaction Rules, both Payee and Category, on the Quicken Simplifi Mobile App. Can you be more specific by providing a step-by-step process to reproduce what you're seeing, or share a video of the behavior, please?

We look forward to your reply!

-Coach Natalie

• kidd
    kidd Member
    Options

@Coach Natalie, on mobile I'm not able to edit the transaction rule name. In the screenshot below, this rule is named "Ting". This is the Payee Name that is applied to transactions that meet the "If payee contains" requirement. However, there's no way for me to change the rule name to "Ting Internet". I can do it on the website, but not on iOS.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@kidd, thanks for confirming!

You can edit the name of a Payee Rule on the Quicken Simplifi Mobile App by following the steps here: https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/4792734-using-transaction-rules-on-the-mobile-app#h_566b877093

However, when attempting to do so now, it looks like a new Payee Rule is created instead of original one being updated. Is this what you're seeing as well when following the steps? Please let me know so I can get the issue reported.

-Coach Natalie

• kidd
    kidd Member
    Options

@Coach Natalie,

Thanks for the info. I had tried this before and ran into the same issue you experienced where it duplicated the Payee rule. However, when I tried again after reading your response, it didn't create a duplicate. After some experimentation, I figured out what the difference is:

If the Rule contains both a Payee rule and Category rule → When the payee name is changed in the payee rule → A new Rule is created.

If the Rule contains only a Payee rule and no Category rule → When the payee name is changed in the payee rule → The current Rule is updated.

The rule change I attempted today didn't have a Category rule attached to it, so when I updated the name in the Payee rule, it changed as expected and there was no duplicate. Doing the same for a rule that had an existing Category rule created a new rule with the new name but no Category rule.

I think I understand why it's doing this, but it demonstrates how weird the relationship between Category Rule and Payee Rules are. The request for my initial suggestion, it seems, it to be able to change the Payee Name for all rules (Category and Payee) within the parent rule.

Using my previous screenshot as an example: If I had a way to change "Ting" to "Ting Internet", and that change would update the Payee Name for the Category Rule and all the Payee Rules to "Ting Internet".

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@kidd, thanks for confirming the behavior!

What you're seeing is a bug. You should be able to update the Payee Name by editing the Payee Rule and have the original item updated to the new name; having a Category Rule also assigned should not impact anything. With that, I am seeing the same exact thing and have gotten it reported. I'll let you know when we receive an update. In the meantime, this ability does seem to work properly from the Quicken Simplifi Web App.

-Coach Natalie

SIMPL-19426