Toggle between multiple accounts (newlyweds)

Options
ahumphreys
ahumphreys Member
edited February 23 in Feedback

Newlywed here! My husband and I are combining finances and would like to better understand our collective spending, duplicative subscriptions and areas we can each improve. I'd love the option of adding all of our accounts but the ability to toggle between accounts & pull reports to identify categories we can each improve.

Comments

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @DannyB - could you help with this question? I read in some of your posts that you manage expenses for the household using Simplifi. Will space sharing help this scenario?

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/6443103-how-to-share-your-quicken-simplifi-data

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25
    Options

@UrsulaA

I can’t say how space sharing works.

My wife and I combined our lives 50 years ago when neither of us had any real financial resources and it’s been a joint effort ever since. We have not taken advantage of Simplifi’s shared space feature since neither of us sees any additional advantage in our case. My wife has full access to all our financials, but rarely takes time to peruse our various accounts. She gets email or text notifications about balances on our most active accounts and we talk openly about our money stuff… she just doesn’t want to have much to do with the “nitty gritty” of it.

@Flopbot might have more insight as I think he might use the shared space feature.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @ahumphreys

First, Congratulations 🍾🥂

As I already said above my wife and I are celebrating our 50th this year. I believe Simplifi can be an excellent tool for you two as you go about the combining of your lives and finances. As you have specific questions don’t hesitate to ask here in the Simplifi forum.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@ahumphreys

I have made use of shared spaces for a situation where a parent was in the hospital for an extended period of time and really like it - the Shared Spaces, not the parent in the hospital thing! The one caveat is that each person must have a separate paid Simplifi account. Once both accounts are set up, it really is pretty easy to link them together with the Shared Spaces feature. If I understand correctly, you’re basically wanting the ability to set up two separate accounts/budgets/spaces for the cost of one. I believe Quicken Desktop can do that, but unfortunately Simplifi can’t. Starting an Idea Post is the best you can do at this time although I think there might be another one already out there…not sure.

P.S. Congrats on getting married! Do combine your finances and - among other benefits - you won’t need to worry about paying for two separate accounts. In setting up your one account, you’ll really quickly find those duplicate subscriptions!

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@ahumphreys, thanks for posting your request to the Community!

Based on your description, it sounds like Quicken Simplifi already offers what you're looking for. If you add both of your accounts in Quicken Simplifi, the program will detect recurring bills. You can then navigate to the Recurring list under Settings and locate any duplicate subscriptions, etc.

As for toggling which accounts are being viewed, you can easily do this for pretty much any area of the program. In addition to being able to exclude entire accounts from Reports, the Spending Plan, and Watchlists, you can filter Reports to specific accounts, view specific accounts in the Projected Cash Flow, etc.

Additionally, with Space Sharing, you can both have your own credentials to sign into Quicken Simplifi to access your shared data: https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/6443103-how-to-share-your-quicken-simplifi-data

With that, we do also have some existing requests you may be interested in checking out, however, these are more for abilities that would keep finances separate:

If the current design or the existing requests don't meet your needs, I'd suggest providing more details for your request so we can get a clearer picture of what you're looking for. Is there a specific area of the program that's been difficult to use when combining your finances or something along those lines? Were there duplicate subscriptions that weren't detected during the Getting Started Flow? Or what and where exactly would you like to see the toggling of accounts added, and how does this differ from what's currently offered?

Please let us know so we can best assist!

-Coach Natalie

This discussion has been closed.