Unknown/NA tags previously removed still show in reports and transaction activity (edited)

UrsulaA
UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
edited August 28 in Report a Bug

After the split transaction report enhancement, I saw that the unknown tags that I previously removed via the transaction list appear again as NA in the report area. Select examples are below.

Imported transactions in transaction list

No NA/unknown tags for Uber $3.0, Boca Auto Service $99.14, and Whole Green Café $42.87

Imported transactions in report transaction view

Unknown tags still show for the three transactions above. The examples are a subset of the Mint imported data with this issue.

Other than myself going on transaction by transaction to re-delete the unknown tags (which I did before during my Mint import cleanup), can someone please look into this issue and resolve it?

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin
    edited August 27

Hello @UrsulaA,

Thanks for reaching out! To help clarify your situation, can you let us know if the transactions are displayed this way in any other reports, features, registers, etc? Additionally, did the file you imported have the tags in it, and did you remove the tags by editing the file before importing if it did? This information would be helpful in determining a solution!

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27

The tags show like displayed above in the reports area only. I imported a file with tags in it when the Mint categories did not come in consistently back about January 5, 2024. I then deleted the tags under settings in Simplifi after completing the categorization of transactions. It is strange that the NA marks only show on the reports area and not the transaction list.

Minter 2014-2023

• Coach Jon

Hello @UrsulaA,

Thanks for the quick reply! Can you let us know the exact steps you took so that we may try reproducing this issue on our side?

Thank you,

Coach Jon

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭

I used the Mint import option, available in January 2024.

Used a Mint file with tags like ZGroceries or ZRestaurants&Dining. This was to assign categories to match my Mint file as the categories were not coming in properly/consistently from the Mint import.

When the transactions made it to Simplifi, I deleted the tags from settings as there is no way to mass remove tags.

More detail on my import process below.

Import Tip: Put Your Category in the Tag Column (it doesn't always load category from the CSV) — Simplifi (simplifimoney.com)

Minter 2014-2023

• Coach Jon

Hello @UrsulaA,

Thank you for the information. I would suggest to manually remove the tags from the report section in Quicken Simplifi, as this would be the quickest solution to the issue seen here, and it seems to be relegated to that single area of the application.

-Coach Jon

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭

I have over 1,000 transactions to clean up. This solution will be slow.

Minter 2014-2023

• Coach Jon

Hello @UrsulaA,

Thanks for the reply. I definitely understand that would take a while. I know we do have an idea post for the ability to mass-remove tags that you can vote for here:

If you would like to continue with escalation instead of the former solution offered, we can definitely continue, however, I must warn you that an escalation for this issue may be slow in returning a solution as well.

Please let us know!

-Coach Jon

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27

You can close the escalation. The feature request if implemented will solve my issue. I upvoted the idea already.

Minter 2014-2023

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27

It is disappointing that an enhancement makes phantom tags re-appear after being cleaned up via the transaction list. I started getting rid of the extra tags manually, row by row. I have over 700 transactions to process in 2015 alone. I imported transactions from 2014 to 2021 mostly with some transactions imported for 2022 and 2023.

Minter 2014-2023

• Coach Jon

Hello @UrsulaA,

I am sorry that happened in that way. The idea post I shared does look promising though, so hopefully it will be implemented soon.

-Coach Jon

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to think you could DELETE A TAG from the list of tags, and have that removed from all transactions that use it, and would think that would fix this if it worked — or am I misunderstanding the issue?

Rob Wilkens

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27

This is precisely what I did and the unknown NA tags still show up for multiple years in the reports area and when you open the transaction itself. Seems like a bug to me but I got directed to vote for the idea.

Minter 2014-2023

• Coach Jon

Hello @UrsulaA,

I did state earlier that we could continue with this escalation if this is what you wanted to do. I also provided the idea post as it is relevant to the thread. You stated that we did not need to proceed. If you would like to proceed with the escalation after all, be sure to let us know so we can gather the necessary information from you.

Thanks!

-Coach Jon

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭

Thanks, do not need the escalation now. However, from another post, I am not the only user with this issue. If someone else reports this issue, then I can be added to their ticket.

Minter 2014-2023

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28

Ok, I'll bite and follow up on reporting the bug. What do you need to know?

Steps to reproduce:

-On an (in this case) pending account transfer("Linked Transfer"), I created and added the tag "Test123" and saved it

-I went to settings→categories&tags and deleted the "Test123" tag

-Went back to transaction, and now it had an "Unknown" tag. Previously, it had no tags, which should've been the state it returned to.

It appears deleting tags results in tags assignments being changed to unknown.

Try reproducing this before you ask me to submit more information please.

Rob Wilkens

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭

I got the same results as @RobWilk with my import. Let's continue the escalation.

Minter 2014-2023

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28

Steps to reproduce:

Tag a transaction with a new tag - test

Delete the test tag from Settings>Categories & Tags

Result

Open transaction

Income report section

The expected behavior for me as a user is for the test tag to be gone after deletion from settings from the transaction and the reports area instead of showing unknown within the transaction and NA within the reports area. The blank tag on the transaction list is expected behavior.

Minter 2014-2023

• Coach Jon

Hello @UrsulaA and @RobWilk,

Thanks for all the help! I went to go get this reported when I noticed that we already have a bug report for this issue. We will be sure to post updates for this issue here as we receive them going forward.

Thank you,

Coach Jon

SIMPL-21971

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Coach Jon - FYI @DiZzyDMon - I saw you had this same issue. Hope the bug gets fixed soon.

Minter 2014-2023

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29

Per the support article below, the NA issue definitely is a bug. I emphasize the note below.

Using Tags to Organize Transactions in Quicken Simplifi | Quicken Simplifi Help Center (simplifimoney.com)

From link:

Delete a Tag

Excluding Tags associated with Savings Goals, you can easily delete tags you don't need!

1. Hover over the panel on the left-hand side and select Settings.
    2. Select Categories & tags.
    3. Hover over the Tag you'd like to delete and click the X at the end of it.
    4. Click Delete to confirm.

Note: When you delete a Tag, it will be removed from any transactions it was used on, but the transactions themselves will still exist.

Minter 2014-2023