Include checking account balance in Spending Plan (3 Merged Votes)

HQ2
HQ2 Member
edited December 2023 in Feature Requests

Ability to rollover remaining checking account balance to the next month's Spending Plan would provide a true picture of Available funds for spending or saving.

50 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin

Hello @hwalseth2,

Thanks for the suggestion; please be sure to add your vote! :wink:

-Coach Natalie

• HQ2
    HQ2 Member

Where do I add a vote for this or similar request?

• asubbaiyanprof
    asubbaiyanprof Member ✭✭✭✭

click the up arrow like the one above

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited May 2021
    Hello @HQ2,

Thanks again for the suggestion!

Would you mind clarifying your request a bit, please? Are you looking to add the balance of your checking account at the end of each month to the next month's Spending Plan, or are you looking to roll over the remaining "available" amount from your Spending Plan at the end of each month to the next month's Spending Plan?

If the latter, we do have an existing request for rollover abilities with the Spending Plan, that I'd be happy to merge this post and votes with -- https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/114/add-budget-spending-plan-start-each-new-month-with-the-previous-months-leftover-amount-option

Please let me know, thanks! :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • chouser10
    chouser10 Member
    Be nice if your checking account balance (or any chosen account balance) would add to your next month’s spending plan income.
  • I posted a comment and voted already on the link you provided, however, for me, if you just added the option to manually add the remaining balance from checking without overriding any incoming income for that month (which is what the current “custom income” option does), it would work for me. I don’t have income some months and other months have large amounts coming in (which is not set amounts), so, I really need to be able to have both. 
  • chouser10
    chouser10 Member
    How about an option to add your end of month checking or spending balance to your spending plan as income? 
  • mrzoops
    mrzoops Member
    Yeah you just have to do it manually as of now but I agree, it should be automatic
  • DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I added my vote for this option.  Moving remaining account balances forward month by month will make that money available to the spending plan in each new month.  The way I'm reading this particular request differs from the other request @Coach Natalie links to above but the two may dovetail together in some ways.

In my mind, rolling over amounts, + or-, in the spending plan that has been designated for a specific planned spending category would be different from rolling over unspent and undesignated funds that are left at end of month.
    Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • The entire "Spending Plan" tool results in things being completely wrong (and useless) because it fails to provide the ability to include current funds available - actually available - in the bank account and elsewhere (credit cards, etc). Sure, if the money is chosen to be kept from being available, then the result is fine, but if a person wants to spend savings or whatnot, then that's their right, and that means that the "available to spend" amount needs to include those reserves and available credit.

For now, this tool and the results are absolutely meaningless and actually destructive to any value it might have intended to present, because it tells a person that they don't have money when, in fact, they do.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

The point of a spending plan is to not spend more than you take in in a month, not to spend every last penny you have or can borrow (perhaps at a high interest rate).

Rob Wilkens

• Yup, Mint had a Monthly Rollover feature. Would be great to have it here