Ability to group Categories under Settings>Categories page (edited)

Options
Chrobrego
Chrobrego Member ✭✭✭
edited January 16 in Feature Requests

I'd like to divide my categories into FIXED, NONFIXED, and SAVINGS.  Simplify only allows one level of subcategories, so an AREAS grouping would allow me to place all of my fixed expenses into a separate category and vice-versa for the NONFIXED. 

The way this would work is that under the category page, you'd not only have categories and tags listed, but you could have the option of assigning AREAS as well.  For example, I'd create an AREA called 'Fixed.'  It would be another color and I could then maybe drag and drop categories into it.   When I run a report, I can then get info as to these areas in the reports and my spending plan could also have an option to list the categories by AREAS. 

The benefit of doing this would be to allow for greater customization of our budgets and it would make former YNAB users very happy as this is how many of us budget using the envelope system.

4 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options
    Hello @Chrobrego,

Thanks for posting your request to the Community!

I have gone ahead and turned this into an Idea post so other users can vote on it and our Product Team can review it. 

-Coach Natalie
  • Ed Rizzolo
    Ed Rizzolo Member ✭✭
    edited January 15
    Options

In addition to having just a Category Type per category (income or expense), have a user defined Category Group. That way could organize categories by discretionary/non-discretionary or whatever the user wants. Would want to add Category Group to the filters on reports as well.