Thrift Savings Plan MFA Issue

Options
lambda379
lambda379 Member ✭✭

I had been able to connect to the Thrift Savings Plan until recently. Now after I request a code through SMS for MFA I never receive any code on my phone.

Comments

• jenmurphy8
    jenmurphy8 Unconfirmed, Member
    Options

I am attempting to add my tsp.gov account to my Simplifi account. It says an SMS has been sent with an OTP code, but I have not received one. Is there a fix for this?

• aef
    Options

I am having the same issue - my TSP used to reliably sync, but now when I enter the appropriate credentials and it claims to send the SMS code, I never receive the code

Please help!

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hey everyone, thanks for reaching out regarding this issue!

To better understand what's going on, please provide some additional details:

1. Are you able to change your MFA method on the bank's website (i.e., use email instead of text)?
    2. Have you tried changing the method of how to receive the code when prompted in Quicken Simplifi?
    3. Are you using the Quicken Simplifi Web App or Mobile App?
    4. Have you tried disabling MFA with the bank temporarily just to connect in Quicken Simplifi? If you're able to get connected this way, you can immediately re-enable MFA and we'd want to wait and see if the account continues to update.

Please let us know so we can best assist!

-Coach Natalie

• lambda379
    lambda379 Member ✭✭
    Options
    1. Yes. Added email and Okta Verify.
    2. Yes. Selected each of the available methods and did not receive a code from any method.
    3. Both. Same issue on both.
    4. MFA is required on TSP.

• aef
    Options

I tried as well

1. Same result
    2. No code either way
    3. Also both web page and app, same result
    4. Like the other commenter said MFA is required

• Dave_833
    Options

Same issue, but found a way that worked. I never got an SMS or email verification code. But if I set up a security question, I was able to answer the prompt and authenticate the connection. Try logging into your account options (https://www.tsp.gov/oam/) and setting up a security question option for multi-factor authentication.

• lambda379
    lambda379 Member ✭✭
    Options

Setting up a security question worked for me as well but I don't think this is true MFA and would prefer to receive a code for security reasons.

• aef
    Options

ok tried that and it worked! Seems that setting up the question on their website wasn’t straightforward, but synced up to Simplifi again! Thanks for looking into it

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hey everyone, it sounds like setting up a security question is allowing the connection to work in Quicken Simplifi, but SMS and email codes should work as well unless the bank changed something on their end. Has anyone been able to get this to work with SMS and/or email?

Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

• lambda379
    lambda379 Member ✭✭
    Options

Both SMS and email work now but only after deleting the security question option on the TSP website. With the security question turned on, I could log into Simplifi the first time by answering the security question. After that I never needed to provide answer the security question or provide a code to update the data. I turned the security question off permanently.

• lambda379
    lambda379 Member ✭✭
    Options

This isn't working again. I select either SMS or email for MFA but I receive no code.

• Coach Kristina
    Coach Kristina Moderator admin
    edited January 28
    Options

Hello @lambda379,

I'm sorry to hear it's giving you trouble again. To better understand what's going on, please provide some additional details:

1. Are you able to change your MFA method on the bank's website (i.e., use email instead of text)?
    2. Have you tried changing the method of how to receive the code when prompted in Quicken Simplifi?
    3. Are you using the Quicken Simplifi Web App or Mobile App?
    4. Have you tried disabling MFA with the bank temporarily just to connect in Quicken Simplifi? If you're able to get connected this way, you can immediately re-enable MFA and we'd want to wait and see if the account continues to update.

Please let us know so we can further assist with this issue!

-Coach Kristina

This discussion has been closed.