Why does payee get changed to something illogical instead of just matching the statement?

Options
quick username
quick username Member
edited March 5 in Report a Bug

I don't understand the logic that would change the payee from the statement value of THE UNIVERSITY OF NEW MEX and show the payee as THE UNIVERSITY OF IOWA? It's pretty annoying to have to go manually correct things like this or waste time to set rules to undo illogical behavior.

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@quick username, thanks for posting!

Although I can't speak for the renaming that occurred or why, I do know that Quicken Simplifi applies a logic to rename your transactions to something simpler and may have gotten it wrong in this instance. To clarify, is this the only transaction/Payee that you've seen this with, or does the issue appear to be widespread?

Please let us know so we can best assist!

-Coach Natalie

• quick username
    quick username Member
    edited January 3
    Options

It happens occasionally, I guess I can post the other examples here when they pop up again; however, would this example not be considered substantial enough to track as an official bug? It seems like a blatant error in the renaming programming.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@quick username, we'd need some additional examples to show the product team it's an actual issue and not a one-off situation. Let us know if it pops up again with different Payees, etc.

Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

• quick username
    Options

Here's one that's not as ridiculous as changing "New Mexico" to "Iowa" but I don't need "Debit" shortened to "De ##bit". I get shortening the statement description, but can words like Debit just remain unchanged?

• EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I've seen wrong renames like this as well. Sometimes it even renames to match a different transaction, and I need to open up this transaction to figure out why I spent an unexpected amount this time, and then I see the details on the statement were quite different. I'll try and post here next time I see it.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7
    Options

Here are some wrong renames from my Mint import showing examples of the behavior pointed out on this post. I imported 2,749 transactions into a Mint Debt account and 44 transactions show payee names like the screenshots.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Coach Natalie
    edited January 9
    Options

@quick username, @EL1234, & @UrsulaA, since Quicken Simplifi is designed to learn over time, I'd suggest renaming the incorrect Payees to help teach the program in hopes of better results in the future. A renaming logic is used to rename Payees to something simpler, but there does appear to be one-off situations where it renames to something weird (I see this from time to time as well). At this point, I think you will all see the quickest solution with some manual intervention when these items occasionally pop up.

Please let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks @Coach Natalie - I went in Simplifi and updated the names with some bulk edits.

Minter 2014-2023

• EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yup - that's what I do, but only when I notice that there's a mistake :)

• Phemfrog
    Options

This has happened to me twice this week. This morning I found this one. Not even remotely correct or related. It linked a $200 transfer to my car payment recurring series, which is $413 every month. The thing is that I have a recurring series set up for this $200 transfer every month. Unlinking it and relinking it fixes the problem, but I cannot understand why it mislabeled it in the first place. The only information that is the same in the two transfers is our last name, C****s. The other example this week I don't remember the details, but it mislabeled a paycheck from my husband's company to mine. I have recurring income series for both jobs. His company name is not similar to mine.

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I skimmed this post and didn’t see any mention of using Settings > Payee Renaming Rules to help guide Simplifi to renames your payees as you wish. Payee Renaming Rules offer a really simple way to control the Payee name and override Simplifi’s underlying auto adjustments. Given a little time and work in setting up renaming rules will go a long way towards making things download as you wish.

There are some instances when these rules get tripped up - with payees who use Square for example (sq*name_of_shop), but by-and-large they cover most instances. Simplifi doesn’t play well with the asterisk.

There’s just no way that Simplifi can account for the millions upon millions of constantly changing potential payee names out there so this process is just the reality of that situation. Yes, it’s odd/funny that it changed the state.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • quick username
    Options

And how about this one? Made a payment to capital one? no no - you must have paid Kohls $1000!

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

From your screenshot, looks like you had a manual transaction that was matched against the payment. I can tell from the "a manual and bank transaction were combined…" Can you unmerge the transaction and share what you see? That will help with troubleshooting.

Minter 2014-2023

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Agree - fortunately with some rules my payees come down OK. I have corrected few downloaded transactions in the past month or so since joining Simplifi.

Minter 2014-2023

• quick username
    Options

@UrsulaA, I went to go investigate the merge… and it appears this was how Simplifi shows things when the other "matching transfer" is still pending. SInce both are cleared now, it doesn't show the merged/combined note anymore, but I had already set yet another rule to overrule yet another completely illogical payee renaming. Capital One changed to Kohls!? @Coach Natalie , can you reconsider opening a bug report to address these illogical occurrences?

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@quick username, I think in order to report this as a bug, we'd have to show that it's a reoccurring issue and not just one-off situations. Since Quicken Simplifi is designed to learn over time, we'd want to first try renaming the Payees to correct the name to try and teach the program. If the issue continues to persist for that particular Payee, or if a pattern can be identified such as the Payee being renamed to something weird while pending, but then correcting when cleared (or something along those lines), we can look at the behavior.

Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

• EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I just found one last night when I was reviewing pending checks (that I wrote out and were not yet deposited). I found an "ATM Debit Transaction" for the same amount and when I opened the transaction, the fine print said "Appeared on your bank statement as Check # 832".

For some reason I couldn't merge them, the button didn't show up, so I renamed and categorized the debit transaction and deleted the pending one that I had created manually (months ago).

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I know someone else was talking about this recently, but this is the first time i saw it and i couldn't locate the original post with search.

Please note here how costco was renamed - doesn't look right. You can see the original at the top. I later hand-edited it to fix it.

This was my citi costco anywhere visa where this renaming error occured, if that matters.

Rob Wilkens

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have seen this too. Special characters in original statement do not play well with Simplifi.

Minter 2014-2023

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24
    Options

Here is the related discussion.

[removed link to merged thread]

Minter 2014-2023

• Siggy
    Siggy Member
    Options

I made a transaction at a paint store that was labeled on my statement as "JC LICHT - 1221 - CLARK S."
    The statement name includes the street the store is on (Clark). Simplifi changed the name to "Clark Oil."

Is there a way to dial down or turn off this logic? It continually mislabels my transaction and forces me to manually update and review my transactions. This aggressive logic also creates havoc on my recurring bills and payments.

I hope the logic gets better or improvements are made to the platform because this is causing me headaches and not making it easy for me to trust my data.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@RobWilk & @Siggy, thanks for posting on this topic!

Please take a look at my comment here for how to proceed:

Let us know how things go!

-Coach Natalie

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Understood— in my case, I usually manually enter transactions, but i was running behind that day (bunch of medical tests/appointments)… So it got entered in simplifi automatically. Usually, I won't see this unless maybe i go out of my way to delay entry.

Rob Wilkens

• quick username
    Options

Here's another example of (ridiculous) renaming behavior.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@quick username - Your screenshots keep showing "a manual and bank transaction were combined" - Can you unmerge the transactions and see what happens? The downloaded transaction has Simplifi's adjusted name and the manual transaction has what you previously entered by hand or via a recurring reminder.

This still sounds like a bug.

Minter 2014-2023

• quick username
    Options

Payee does not change when I click unmerge. As a separate issue, I do not create manual entries, I only use simplify to aggregate account transactions, so I don't know why it keeps saying it's merged with a manual transaction.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

It is strange, you should get two transactions when unmerging - one hopefully has the correct payee name. Merging and unmerging transactions is a web app only feature.

Is your credit card payment a recurring transfer? If so, that creates a pending transaction before posting that is a manual transaction. I have Capital One cards too and do not see this behavior.

Minter 2014-2023

• quick username
    Options

It's not a recurring transfer. These were adhoc payments.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@quick username, thanks for posting!

Please see my comment here for how to proceed with this issue:

-Coach Natalie

• quick username
    quick username Member
    edited January 31
    Options

I'm renaming them manually, behavior keeps occurring as I'm trying to show with continued examples. I also now have missing transactions, and no obvious way to un-delete (if i accidentally deleted) and no obvious way to know how many may also be missing beyond the ones i caught manually. As other's have mentioned… I'm really starting to develop some trust issues w/ this platform. I have to assume your legacy platforms are more robust, probably past time to explore those.

This discussion has been closed.