Add Emojis/Icons for Categories (edited)

Options
MoneySkeets
MoneySkeets Member ✭✭✭
edited February 22 in Feature Requests

Hi Guys,

I ended up seeing and comparing Monarch Money to Simplifi, and there was one feature that I thought was really nice for visually seeing transactions. It was when you defined your categories they have the ability in front of each name to select one of the system wide Emojiis!

It made it more fun to use and much easier to quickly get a since of where money went.

2 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• random
    random Member ✭✭
    Options

Please consider adding Category icons - in the Transactions list and elsewhere.

I saw this UI element implemented in another accounting app that I was testing (that starts with an M…), and it makes it so much easier on the eyes when scanning through a long Transaction list!

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This is already supported. Just saying 😁

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@MoneySkeets and @random ,

Like Anthony said, you can add them to Categories. And not just Categories, but also Tags and even Account names!

The easiest way to do it is to edit the name of the Category/Tag/Account on the Mobile App and use your phones built in emojis when typing the word. An added bonus to this is that you’ll have LOTS more to choose from than if we relied on Simplifi to build them into the app proper. I’m sure there’s a way to do it on the Desktop App, but I haven’t found it yet.

Here’s what one of my recurring series looks like…

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • random
    random Member ✭✭
    Options

Well dang… VERY NICE, THX!!!
    Though are we limited to just regular emojis?
    Hmmm, what if we want to use a company's logo or an image?
    THX!

• random
    random Member ✭✭
    Options

BTW, as I add emoji icons, many dark ones blend into my Dark Mode background.. hmmm, wish we could control the background color, I'd make mine a little less dark so black icons would pop better. Wish the emoji icons were a little bigger too. Cheers! :)

• random
    random Member ✭✭
    Options

1 more thought, ideally sorting columns by Payee or Category on the transaction page would ignore the emoji's code name…

Basically, I discovered after entering a bunch of emojis at the BEGINNING of the Categories & Payee Rules names in Settings that on the Transaction page sorting was using the emoji's 'underlying code name'. So the sort order didn't make sense. I ended up editing them all to be after the name text.. This works ok but is less clean looking to the eye to glance down a long Transaction list. It'd be better at the beginning like the M app does. Just a suggestion for future updates… Thanks for listening. :)

• MoneySkeets
    MoneySkeets Member ✭✭✭
    Options

good to know all of the about and seeing especially how that would effect sort order on transactions which would not be good.