Transfers Bucket - Confusing Display

Options
RobWilk
RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2023 in Feedback

This Transaction is a transfer from Checking to Savings for $100

This is how it shows in the Transfers Bucket:

The "problem" :

-Where it says "TOTAL CHECKING" it also says +$100 —- which to me means total checking is getting $100 but here $100 was leaving total checking. It's actually the other account that is getting +$100.

It's backwards.

Rob Wilkens

Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @RobWilk,

Thanks for posting your inquiry to the Community!

It's not backwards — as mentioned by @ajbopp here, what you're seeing is the Category, not the Account. This is the same for all other areas of the Bills & Income section of the Spending Plan; e.g. my Netflix Subscription shows the Category of "Entertainment", and my Power Bill shows the Category of "Gas & Electric".

In the case of Linked Transfers, you'd see the other account listed as the Category in the Transfers bucket. Using your example, I see that Total Checking sent $100 to Chase Savings; the income side isn't showing that Total Checking received $100, it's showing that Total Checking sent $100, since Total Checking is the Category and not the Account.

If you want to include just the expense side of the Transfer in the Spending Plan, you'd want to reverse your ignore settings so the expense side is being included and the income side is being ignored. Here's an example of a Linked Transfer from my checking account to my credit card account where only the expense side (the payment) is being included in the Spending Plan:

I hope this helps clarify!

-Coach Natalie

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It does seem backwards to me, the "category" will always be an account, but the account mention does not match the positive/negative sign associated with the account. If not a bug, should this be an idea?

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hello @RobWilk,

I agree that it's confusing, but it does match the design for the rest of Bills & Income where the Category is displayed. If you select the three dots at the end of the Transfer and then click "Edit Transaction", you'll be able to see the Account and the Category. Using my example from above, here's the income side of the Transfer showing that the money is coming from ICCU Checking and is going to Shell Fuel Rewards MC:

With that said, if you'd like to, I'd personally suggest creating an Idea post requesting that an 'Account' field be added to the items displayed in the Bills & Income section of the Spending Plan. Requesting that the Account be displayed in place of the Category for Transfers only may be a little harder to accomplish since it goes against the design for the rest of Bills & Income.

Additionally, you can leave your feedback regarding this experience on our Transfers bucket feedback post so it can be reviewed by our Product Team:

-Coach Natalie

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

For no other type of transaction is the category an account, that's the difference.

Rob Wilkens

This discussion has been closed.