Web: Auto complete on category a little messed up

RobWilk
RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 4 in Troubleshooting

This is a relatively new behavior (less than about a month old) but if no one else reported it I finally wanted to….

See this image:

As I start to type in the category field (here, I'm starting to type "Chase Savings") auto completion happens in two separate places, one is the grey background list, one is the black background list, if I use a cursor to autocomplete, the grey background is what is used to select from. It would be preferable if the black background (or white in light mode) list would be the one used to respond to cursor presses.

I think this might've happened when they worked on the tags field recently.

Rob Wilkens

Tagged:

Comments

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭

I am using Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge and do not see that behavior. What browser are you using? Also, do you have a password manager active? Maybe the auto fill function of the extension is interfering with the category auto fill.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin

Hello @RobWilk,

Thanks for reaching out. I am pretty sure that the grey listing seen in your screenshot is from your device or browser itself. If you use another browser, does it show up?

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30

Doesn't seem to happen in Safari, but it happens in Chrome, even in "Incognito Mode" (where cookies are cleared, and every extension is turned off i believe). Is chrome no longer supported?

-Rob

edit: Adding MacOS if it wasn't obvious by the Safari comment.

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Jon

Hello @RobWilk,

Chrome is supported. @UrsulaA did bring up a great point, however, so I would check to see if you have an extension interfering with the auto-fill, or maybe it is your browser settings themselves.

-Coach Jon

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭

I tested the category creation in Google Chrome and I do not see the behavior you see. I wonder if the category field is being seen in your browser as a form field with the options above saved somewhere. Can you clear your cache, cookies, and form entries in browsing history and try again?

Minter 2014-2023

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coach Jon As I mentioned, incognito mode disables all extensions.

Rob Wilkens

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30

@RobWilk I tested it on Chromium and it worked fine, but it is an older version. Check to see if you have the latest version of Chrome. I find these glitches happen from time to time and often go away. If you haven't rebooted the computer lately, you might want to do so. I've seen this glitch of yours before but not sure when.

Right now I am having a problem again with my bank downloading duplicate pending transactions (not matching them with previous downloaded transactions) and it won't let me merge them. This has been happening since 220 at least. If it persists I will make a report. Right now, I just delete the duplicates. It usually works right when the final cleared transaction comes in.

Going to go see if there is a newer version of Chromium. You made me think of it. 😀

Steve
    Quicken Simplifi (Safari & iOS) Since 2021
    Quicken Classic (MacOS) Since 2009
    Microsoft Money (Windows) 1991-2009
    Dollars & Cents (DOS) 1987-1991

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

@UrsulaA Incognito mode serves the purpose of virtually clearing cache, cookies, and browsing history.

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Jon

Hello @RobWilk,

I would still suggest checking your browser autofill settings. Since it worked fine in another browser, I would not consider this a bug on Quicken Simplifi's side.

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coach Jon Checked autofill settings, nothing there was different/changed. It's ONLY this field that this happened, and it started about the time that the tags field autocomplete was modified. If it were an autocomplete setting, you think it would affect every field.

It's not that big of a deal, though. It's just more of an annoyance. If you don't want to get it fixed, i understand.

Rob Wilkens

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭

This is true unless you allow certain extensions to run in incognito mode. I allow LastPass to run in incognito mode, for example.

Minter 2014-2023

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not allow any to.

Also, I tried manually disabling all my extensions. Same result. The only two extensions I had on (which i temporarily disabled) were "Microsoft Editor" and "O'Reilly". Microsoft editor would've been a good candidate to guess, but I had disabled it and no difference.

-Rob

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Kristina
    Coach Kristina Moderator admin

Hello @RobWilk,

Maybe this is being caused by the autofill feature built into Chrome. To check for this, you can click the 3 dots at the upper right of the browser window, then hover over Passwords and Autofill and click on the Addresses and More option.

Once you're in that section, check to see if the option is turned on. If it is, try turning it off and see if the issue in your Quicken Simplifi persists.

I hope this helps!

-Coach Kristina

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

i started writing earlier…. Yes, this fixed it… but i would prefer to leave address auto completion on.. i suggest the simplifi bug might be that the field is being marked as an address field for chrome autocomplete.

Also, your chrome says passwords and autofill, my chrome says Autofill and passwords.. small but interesting difference.

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Kristina
    Coach Kristina Moderator admin

Thank you for your reply,

The difference in display may have to do with which version of Chrome you're running. As @SRC54 mentioned earlier, if you haven't already done so, please make sure your Chrome browser is up to date. If it's a glitch in Chrome, updating your browser may correct it.

Thank you!

-Coach Kristina

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4

I updated to the latest chrome as suggested, and turned back on address auto completion, and the problem came back. It would seem the field is tagged wrong as to what is supposed to be in the field. This is not happening on every field, just the category.

EDIT: Is it possible most people use the pull down? I typically type in that field.

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Jon

Hello @RobWilk,

If turning off the Chrome Autofill setting resolves the issue, and the issue is not present in another browser, I would assume this is a browser-based issue you are experiencing. You may try uninstalling and reinstalling the browser to see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried it and it is happening on 2 different computers, mac and windows.

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Jon

Hello @RobWilk,

Are you signed into the browser on both computers? I myself use Chrome and am not experiencing this issue. It may be that it is tied to your user profile for Chrome.

-Coach Jon

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

You can just say you're not interested in fixing it if that's the case. However, I might agree with your assessment, except earlier I said it happened in incognito mode which is equivalent to having no account signede in in chrome.

Part of the reason I've gottento be a superuser is because I have a history of being persistent about getting attention to bugs and resulting in getting them fixed. :-)

-Rob

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Jon

Hello @RobWilk,

Ultimately, we would not consider this a bug on Quicken Simplifi's side since the category list can be used regardless of the Chrome autofill pop-up. To better clarify, what specifically is the issue with the workflow you are experiencing and why do you think it is a bug?

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4

@Coach Jon As seen in my first screenshot, when i start typing, and use the arrows (up/down) to select, it selects from the wrong list frequently. This is an accessibility issue for keyboard users.

EDIT: When your application requires chrome, making your app work properly in chrome is important.

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin

@RobWilk, to make sure I understand what you're reporting here, the issue is not with a cursor click as you first described, but with a keyboard selection, correct? If so, I think I see the same thing — when the autofill form pops up and I use the arrows on my keyboard to navigate through the Quicken Simplifi Category list, it instead navigates through the autofill form, preventing me from using my keyboard to actually select a Category in the program. Does that sound about right?

Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4

@Coach Natalie Yes, Exactly, and thanks for confirming.

EDIT: I apologize for not being clear if i wasn't in the original post - I naturally type in that field.

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin

@RobWilk, thanks for confirming!

It looks like you can select from the autofill list using the keyboard, and then you'll be able to use the Quicken Simplifi list to select the Category with your keyboard. Here's a video:

Since the autofill is a browser setting, I'd say this is your best bet to be able to use your keyboard for selecting a Category. I know it's an extra click, but it works!

-Coach Natalie

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a workaround, but it's still a bug.

Rob Wilkens

This discussion has been closed.