Running balance column (edited)

in2ndo
in2ndo Member
edited September 3 in Bills and Income

Hi All,

I'm not a Simplifi user yet. but looking into the features. to see if I take the huge jump.

The one feature that has had me stuck on Classic, is the ability to see the running balance that shows on the account register with the upcoming and scheduled recurring transactions.

It looks like Simplifi doesn't have this feature. any idea if it might be coming in the near future? I like the ability to see where I'll be in a month, 6 months or up to a year later. right on the register of the paying account.

TIA

Tagged:

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

Simplifi has upcoming/scheduled recurring transactions ... and it plots them with the balances in the future on a cash flow chart up to, i think it's now, 12 months in the future. You can move the mouse to a particular day to see that days balance. On mobile, it's more like a table than a graph.

Rob Wilkens

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 3

@in2ndo I don't think you'll see the running balance in Simplifi because the philosophy in the two are so different.

Quicken Classic adds everything up and shows you the current balance as well as a running balance in each account. It actually makes you balance your account either using the Bank's downloaded balance or a statement. If you cannot figure out a problem, you have to add a balance adjustment.

In Simplifi, your balance is generally what the bank says minus any pending transactions. Simplifi just ignores cleared transactions. You can add any of those you want and it won't affect the balance at all! If you want to check to see whether you are missing cleared transactions, you can choose all transactions and Simplifi will give you a total and you can confirm if it matches the downloaded balance. You also would need to add a cleared opening balance for the account if it was different from $0.00 when you started with Simplifi.

It would be pretty simple I think for Simplifi to add a running balance for manual accounts because those do work like Classic as Simplifi does just add the totals up. I think this is why sometimes my manual accounts don't add up right because they go against Simplifi's philosophy to begin with. Come to think of it, Simplifi should just add a way for the user to set the balance of manual accounts since this is exactly what it does automatically with connected accounts. Indeed, when you disconnect an account and make it manual, you may run into trouble with the balance at some point especially if you have missing cleared transactions!

I hope this makes sense and will give you some understanding of the underlying difference in the two apps.

Steve
    Quicken Simplifi (Safari & iOS) Since 2021
    Quicken Classic (iMac) Since 2009
    Microsoft Money (Windows) 1991-2009
    Dollars & Cents (DOS) 1987-1991

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the explanation. This will help me troubleshoot manual accounts when needed.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭

@UrsulaA Thanks. I too like the Running Balance but I understand why Simplifi doesn't use it. Another thing is the order that the bank uses will be different from the user depending on the date it clears and how their software orders it so running balance is nice mainly for troubleshooting missing transactions in Quicken Classic.

I am interested in the user who has reported problems with the balance of the Manual Account b/c I have this problem periodically and writing this explanation made me think of something. If his problem didn't resolve by itself, as mine do, then it is probably some other problem he is having.

Finally, I do think I hit on something about Simplifi letting the user set the current balance of manual accounts b/c that would make them work like the connected accounts except that in one case the Bank does it and in your Manual Accounts you do it!

Steve
    Quicken Simplifi (Safari & iOS) Since 2021
    Quicken Classic (iMac) Since 2009
    Microsoft Money (Windows) 1991-2009
    Dollars & Cents (DOS) 1987-1991

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭

On the last point, I like the fact that the transactions add up to the balance of the manual account. I am not opposed on having the user set a balance but I will like the option to have the manual account calculate its balance from transactions as well. Let the user choose the approach.

I track cash in Simplifi and prefer to have the transactions add up to the account balance.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present