Newbie!

Ghern99
Ghern99 Member
edited October 8 in Introduce yourself!

Hello All,

I just started using Quicken to have more control of my expenses and spending habits. I find that I have to carefully categorize expenses and income entries, but it is working pretty well for me. I can run reports on certain expenses and plan and track certain entries. I have to tackle the spending plan module to see how that works. Has anyone started using it?

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

The 'spending module' aka 'spending plan' gives you a per-calendar month summary of income (subtracting known bills and savings goals and partially hidden transfers if any) and expenses (planned and other), it gives you a per day amount that you can spend without going over your plan. Basically, if you don't want to spend more than you take in in a given month, this is a useful tool. Just realize, for the most part it will ignore credit card payments (for example) and only deduct the actual spending.

Rob Wilkens

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8

Welcome to Quicken Simplifi @Ghern99

Been using the Spending Plan from the start over 2 years ago… this will get you on your way…

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭

Welcome @Ghern99 You'll like the Spending Plan once you get the hang of it; it took me a while. and I started using it November 2021.

One thing I will say is that your recurring bills and subscriptions are put in a separate list in the Spending Plan and don't affect the Planned Spending bars. However, in reports, all spending is placed together in their categories. That took me a few months to get used to. Other Spending is anything not recurring or in the "budgeted" Planned Spending.

Enjoy getting to know QS.

Steve
    Quicken Simplifi (Safari & iOS) Since 2021
    Quicken Classic (MacOS) Since 2009
    Microsoft Money (Windows) 1991-2009
    Dollars & Cents (DOS) 1987-1991

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8

Check out some posts about the spending plan in the FAQ section. The post below may help. Welcome @Ghern99 !

Spending Plan Versus Budget — Simplifi (simplifimoney.com)

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Coach Kristina
    Coach Kristina Moderator admin

Hello @Ghern99,

Welcome to the Community!

If you need assistance, please feel free to post!

-Coach Kristina

This discussion has been closed.