The never ending refresh

RobWilk
RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 3 in Report a Bug

After 15 minutes, I recorded 5 minutes of it refreshing accounts, please add some kind of status so I know what account(s) is/are causing it. It never seems to finish.

Will send video link to coaches Jon and Natalie

It was doing this yesterday too, for me, Quicken Simplifi will not refresh any accounts anymore, because it never finishes. An hour later it is still going.

The most recent change I made was relinking Citi.

Rob Wilkens

Tagged:

Comments

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭

@RobWilk I've noticed that mine has been longer too, but nothing like yours. I too wondered which account(s) was (were) the holdup. It used to be about a minute; but seems much longer last few days. But shouldn't it time-out after a few minutes and give us the dreaded Exclamation Mark?

I am sure you tried it on the app and signed in / signed out, cleared data and did all the usual troubleshooting.

Steve
    Quicken Simplifi (Safari & iOS) Since 2021
    Quicken Classic (MacOS) Since 2009
    Microsoft Money (Windows) 1991-2009
    Dollars & Cents (DOS) 1987-1991

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3

I just tried on the web, and it finished and downloaded new transactions.

If the problem is the app, it may be the Apple Wallet support that is giving me issues (as the web doesn't touch that).

I will uninstall and reinstall the app (on Android, I would just delete app data, but that doesn't seem to be an option on iOS, which I'm new to).

-Rob

p.s. now apple card transactions are downloading after uninstalling and reinstalling and reconnecting apple wallet. I am considering that maybe accessing apple wallet on both iPhone and iPad is possible causing difficulties (??).

Rob Wilkens

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

p.s. Thanks @SRC54 for your help - "the usual troubleshooting steps" is what i wasn't doing because I was sitting there hoping it would "eventually finish". A timeout might be nice, like 10-30 minutes should be the absolute max.

Rob Wilkens

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3

@RobWilk I forget that there are people who use the app first and web second. I use the iPhone app on the go and the iPad app when on trips.

As for clearing data and cache on iOS, I think the only way is to delete the app and reinstall it. You could try signing out of the app and signing back in. That usually forces a new download of data (I think). I miss WindowsPhone, which was superior in most ways BUT MS was not interested in really marketing it and paying for people to develop apps (even with their billions). They then went on to work for a year on WindowsPhone running iOS apps, abandoned that and developed successfully a way to run Android apps but then decided to abandon that and just support Android Phones.

I got an iPhone, an iPad and an iMac, and I abandoned Windows and Microsoft FOREVER. I got rid of Outlook too. Oh, and MS had already abandoned Money and made us go to Quicken* too. How do I hate MS; let me count the ways.

*Money was slick but Quicken products have been well supported.

Steve

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't entirely given up on Microsoft. I have a Surface Pro (mostly unused), I have a desktop all-in-one from HP (thanks to best buy for both those free products), but my laptop is a macbook, we have about 5 apple tv's in the house, me and mom have an iPad now - I have the Pro 13" M4 model, she has my old 9th gen (we bought an iPad for my sister too, who was reluctant, but now uses it for everything), I now have an iPhone (about 1-2 weeks old). I'm coming, late, to realize Apple products are just more functional/usable.

I was an old Windows Phone / Windows Mobile user too. I think I switched to Android about the time they went to the tile layout (I never had a tile layout windows phone). I used to use a Microsoft Band too, but that was replaced with samsung watches, and now I have an Apple Watch Series 10 (bigger model).

-Rob

Rob Wilkens

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4

@RobWilk Is Surface Pro still a thing? I had a Windows 8 Pad and it was great. Worked fast, was intuitive, even had Mint and Banking Apps, but a few Windows people had a cow. We don't want apps or touch support! So they fired their CEO who was working on WindowsPhone and iPad competitors and hired that useless CEO they have now, or do they? Then they hurried out Windows 10, "the last version of Windows!". Yeah right, what's Windows 11? Whenever I see it, I think it's ugly. Of course, soon after Microsoft shot themselves in the foot, all the apps pulled their support. Yeah, Windows 10 and maybe even 11 support apps, but there ain't none.

My wife now has a Mac Mini, iPhone and iPad. She doesn't like Pages but is getting used to it. And soon her Outlook account will be no more!

Anyhow, back to the topic at hand, Simplifi Refresh this morning was super fast with the latest update (Web App). How was yours?

Steve

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't have a Windows 8 pad, but I did write an app for Windows 8 when they were pushihng their metro apps (touch friendly apps), which would've been tablet-compatible. I wrote this app called fMail for windows store (it doesn't exist anymore, this was 2012-2014) and it won an award from "Best Windows 8 Apps". I wrote it because the mail program built into Windows lacked POP3 e-mail support and I needed that, so I wrote an e-mail app that just supported POP3 e-mail. Sold a few thousand $$ worth of the app at the time, too. The app sucked, but it worked.

I don't like pages either, I use Microsoft Word on the mac still. i also use Outlook for e-mail on the Mac, I hate the default mail app.

As per the refresh, it's still and has always been slow for me, I would say it took around 3 minutes WITHOUT checking apple wallet (as I'm on the web). I expect that my PenFed account is the slowest account, as when I initially added that account (every time) it takes forever to add.

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Kristina
    Coach Kristina Moderator admin
    edited October 5

Hello @RobWilk,

I noticed similar behavior in my Quicken Simplifi this morning. For me, the account refresh/update is usually fairly quick, but this morning, it just kept on spinning until I cancelled it 45 minutes later. While I did not see the Care Code 503 error message, I suspect it may be related to this known issue:

I did notice that all except one of my connected accounts successfully updated.

Have any of your accounts managed to update, in spite of the eternal refresh?

-Coach Kristina

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭

@RobWilk Sorry it is still giving you trouble. Thanks for sharing in re Windows 8 and Outlook!

Steve

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coach Kristina Thanks for the heads up on the open issue. It is likely related. In the last day or two I only had 1 or 2 transactions, and since i tend to manually enter them (plus some accounts only download once cleared) I didn't notice if there were new transactions downloaded or not. I will keep an eye on it and report back if I notice longer term it's missing transactions (this is usually evident when my manually entered 'pending' transactions stay in the 'pending' state for too long).

Rob Wilkens

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭

@RobWilk This morning on iPhone app, the refresh thingy went around forever even if I closed the app and came back (I didn't time it be certainly 5 min). I finally sat the phone on the charge cradle and it stopped! Coincidence? I will check again later.

Steve

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

@SRC54 My iPhone that was spinning indefinitely, I noticed when I went into settings→Accounts, it was spinning specifically aorund my Apple Wallet. Also, there was a note about reconnecting to Apple Wallet, which I clicked. I don't remember for sure, but i may have temporarily disconnected and reconnected my Apple Wallet and then it seemed to work better. I guess the Apple Wallet connection might be the problem (maybe not perfectly stable yet, which may or may not be Quicken's fault, as this connection mechanism is new to Apple too).

Rob Wilkens