Coming from another budgeting program

enigmon
enigmon Member
edited October 14 in Introduce yourself!

Hello everyone,

I am excited to be here. I have been using Everydollar for several years now. I need something like Quicken Simplfi to meet my needs. I signed up for a coaching session tomorrow.

Question:

I am used to the mechanics of everydollar and always have used zero-based budgeting….however, I hhave to change the budget quite often and find it to be not-so-dynamic. I have used Quickbooks before and have a decent grasp on it. Will I like Quicken Simplifi?

Brian

Aspiring personal finance manager on my life

Tagged:

Comments

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to Quicken Simplifi, @enigmon !

I’ve been using QS for almost 3 years now and have found it to be an excellent personal finance app.

You have certainly already noticed the difference from your former personal finance app especially that this is not a zero based app.

For me the Spending Plan is the chief difference and my favorite tool in the QS tool box. A lot of users find the Watchlist feature to be critical to their success with QS.

Your coaching session should be most helpful, but you’ll find this forum to also be a great resource for support.

Will you like it? I hope so, a lot of folks do and trust you will become a fan also.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14

@enigmon Welcome to the community! I think you will like Simplifi, but it will be different. It took me a while to get the hang of the Spending Plan but it is so much easier than using a budget. You named an app I've never heard of and I've used most of them, so I will check that out! (Just for fun, not to switch!)

I like the recurring bills as they are outside planned spending, and like death and taxes, they cannot be avoided.. Think of planned spending as budgeting categories. For the most part, I keep planned spending for categories, but I do use Watch Lists for Sub-Categories I want to keep an eye on.

And best of all you can use Simplifi your way. It is up to you what categories you use, how you "budget" them, or whether you want to plan them or not! Have fun learning the app!

P.S. Now I know why I hadn't heard of your former app (or didn't remember it). It's primarily a budget app and I was always more interested from the viewpoint of bookkeeping/accounting!

Steve
    Quicken Simplifi (Safari & iOS) Since 2021
    Quicken Classic (MacOS) Since 2009
    Microsoft Money (Windows) 1991-2009
    Dollars & Cents (DOS) 1987-1991

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭

Welcome! I used Mint before Simplifi and I find the spending plan module provides a simpler budget. I budget by parent category groups and use an approach like @SRC54 - add required recurring expenses as bills like rent and taxes. I use a watchlist with a target to track all expense categories and ensure that income is more than expenses on any given month. Hope you enjoy Simplifi.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• enigmon
    enigmon Member

Thank you all! I just had a conservation I guess with technical support. I can't seem to get my mortgage connected and she wasn't able to help me. I use Shellpoint Mortgage Servicing. Anyone else have any issues?

I really like Simplifi quite a bit because it is dynamic, feature rich. I guess I need to keep going forward and learn as much as I can.

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @enigmon

One idea would be to set up a manual account for your mortgage and if your mortgage company has the means, you can download your account transactions in a .csv file and import them into your QS manual account.

If you can't download a .csv file from the Shellpoint, then you would have to make any past transactions you may want to enter or just start with your current balance and go from there.

Do you have an escrow account?

Danny
  • enigmon
    enigmon Member

That's a very good idea. However, I do not see where they have that option to download a .csv file. I guess I will figure out how to manually do this….no better time to learn than now.

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15

@enigmon

once you have created the manual mortgage account, go to the Transactions page and scroll down to the Mortgage account listing - if you created it as a Mortgage account it will appear under Liabilities - and click to select and open the Mortgage account register.

In the title bar at the top on the right you will see some icons. the Cloud icon with an up arrow will open the import menu and you can select to import a CSV file.

Danny