Import from credit card company gives positive and negative matching transactions

lsitongia
lsitongia Member
edited October 16 in Troubleshooting

After importing data from the credit card company (CCC) I find that all transactions are duplicate except that the sign is reversed. In other words, every imported transaction has a matching green positive transaction.

I've looked at the CSV files I downloaded from the CCC and each transaction is in there only once. So, Simplifi is creating the matching green positive transaction.

Why?

At first, I thought that Simpifi is smart enough to zero out transactions after a credit card payment has gone in. But, since importing, it has automatically downloaded more transactions from the CCC AND an automatic payment has gone from out bank to the CCC AND there are no matching green positive transactions for the recent use of the CC prior to the automatic payment to the CCC.

So, I take it that credit card transactions (and maybe bank transactions) are not meant to be like a ledger and showing the current balance. I don't see that anywhere. So, I'm completely wrong about that explanation.

So, what's going on here?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭

There seems to be an epidemic of this happening to people. I haven't seen it except sometimes in Investment accounts. If you are sure that the green ones are erroneous, you can just delete them. Are these pending or cleared? It shouldn't make any big difference in your register if you delete the wrong ones; the pending ones will clear at some point and you might have to fix them.

In the meantime, you can report the name of the Credit Card to the coaches here and they can try to get the downloads fixed. You can try resetting the account but that doesn't usually fix it. And yes, credit card downloads should accurately reflect how much you owe (your balance in other words). @lsitongia Good luck.

Steve
    Quicken Simplifi (Safari & iOS) Since 2021
    Quicken Classic (MacOS) Since 2009
    Microsoft Money (Windows) 1991-2009
    Dollars & Cents (DOS) 1987-1991

• I talked with a Coach over the phone and they suggest importing the CVS with a test manual account to see if there are duplicates. Also, there's a problem with the sign of the dollar amounts. The download from USAA has the sign reversed. Credits are negative and transactions using the card are positive. So, I need to reverse the sign of a couple thousand transactions. :-(