Monthly Recurring Visa Payoff - Amount varies each month

VermillionSands
VermillionSands Member
edited October 16 in Bills and Income

Hello,

I have a Visa I pay off every month.

It is currently setup as a recurring Bill with amount that does not reflect true balance on card.

Desired: The bill reminder to check balance on card, and use that value for the next [recurring] bill.

Is this possible (all amounts where I can change it in the series reminder are just to match the transaction entry, but not (from what I can tell), used to alter the recurring series itself.

Right now, the balance in the reminder will reserve an amount well-over what is owed, so painting a picture of future debt greater than what is…

I may be misunderstanding this as well so looking for clarification to help me understand how this works to best model what I'm after.

Thanks!

John

Tagged:

Comments

• I should add that I attempted to attach the "biller" to this card but that fails to go through - not sure how to get a new biller identity added.

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

@VermillionSands

I'm not sure the following addresses your question but here are some of my thoughts.

This is an issue that is discussed regularly in this forum especially when someone first starts using QS and what you are looking for is not currently available in QS. You will have to manually update the amount due each month when the current billing period closes and your statement is issued.

You are perhaps already aware that by default, QS is set up to exclude credit card payments from the Spending Plan and Reports and by default, recurring credit card payments will show up in the Spending Plan in the Transfers & Credit Card Payments section as greyed out (excluded) entries. The Credit Cards Support Article gives you the details.

There is a feature request to have credit card amounts due and due dates downloaded and available in QS for example HERE that might echo what you are asking for.

Personally, I stick with QS's default and leave my credit card payments as excluded from my Spending Plan and Reports. The expenses charged against my CCs are already accounted for in my Spending plan, so these payments are not additional expenses. You do have the option to change the visibility of these payments so that one or both sides of the payment are included in the Spending Plan and/or Reports by editing the recurring series.

As for Bill Connect and credit cards there is this disclaimer in the Bill Connect support article, "Note: Some credit card companies are not currently available via Bill Connect, including Capital One, Citi, Chase, Bank of America, and Wells Fargo."

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Perfect - thanks for the links - all helpful.

I agree, as long as it is not included, I reason it out the same as you and it's just extra noise for no benefit. I think I need to create a flowchart to show how all this is used and what is enabled by default and not - a visual representation might be helpful (had to do that to talk myself through how the debits and credits line-up from a venmo to one account to another! I felt silly, but it helped me see exactly what is going on and a visual is worth a th…well, you get the idea :-)

Again - thanks for the helpful pointers and explanation. I appreciate the kind and thoughtful effort.

John