Budgeted vs. Actual Report for the Spending Plan [edited] (1 Merged Vote)

chiefplt
chiefplt Member ✭✭
edited July 2023 in Feature Requests
Hello, 

Is it possible to view a budget vs actual report based on your spending plan? I can't seem to find that in the reports. It'd be nice to see it for different time periods -- current month, YTD, etc. Is that functionality available? If not, does anyone know if it is in the roadmap to be included later? 

Thanks.
60 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited August 2021
    Hello @chiefplt,

Thank you for posting this to the Community!

I'm not aware of any plans to add a budgeted vs. actual report in Simplifi, nor am I finding an existing Idea post requesting one, so I have gone ahead and turned this into an Idea post so that other Users can add their votes. Please be sure to add your vote as well! :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • I would love to have such a report so I can see how my spending compared to my planned budget and know if I'm about to go over budget or already blew it.

• YES- this should be very simple!
  • This would be very useful for fine-tuning my budgeting process. It would also assist with identifying frivolous spending and other saving opportunities. The Projected Cash flow is interesting, but seeing an actual time-based (say, first of the month) snapshot will provide insight into how to make the appropriate adjustments to my budget or spending habits.
  • RichD
    RichD Member ✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Now that you can put a spending plan out to the future, it would be good to have a report that shows you your spending plan at 1 month, 3 month, 6 month, etc so you can see what you are going to spend over that period.
  • ffurja
    ffurja Member
    I would like to see this in a grid or spreadsheet type view for future months.  This is basic budget 101.

• For sure would be interested in this. I had it in the desktop version (and I know this isn't the same intention) but I used it monthly and annually with my financial planners to review and make adjustments. Strong request.
  • All these votes should be merged into the Annual Spending Plan request (and/or vice versa).  While there is definitely more development work required to add in functionality to see different time views, agree that after creating the standard annualized view, flexibility to see views for other time period would be a plus.
  • bbgirl
    bbgirl Member
    edited October 2022
    I'd like to run reports to view my spending plan for the full year and for 3-6 month time periods as well. 
  • drlegran
    drlegran Member
    Hi Simplifi Team and Community —

I would like to request the ability to visualize projected Spending Plan income, bills, subscriptions, planned spending, and savings within the Reports tab. With the newly added capability of the 12-month outlook under Spending Plan, it would be helpful to see that projection summarized under Reporting. 

For example, it would be helpful to get a 12-month outlook on Spending, Income, Net Income, etc., for planning purposes and to view projected annual income, expenses, and cash flow.

Please let me know if I can provide additional information for this idea to be considered.
  • Almost three years later and still no progress on this… I'm late to the game, just considering switching over from Mint, which is dying soon. What's the point of having a Spending Plan (budget) view if you can't compare it to your actual spending? Only limiting it to show what you plan on spending lets you live in a dream world, but for those of us who actually want to know how we're doing in sticking to our plan, and make adjustments when we're consistently over or under in certain categories, this is a complete show stopper.

• The ability to report on how one is performing against the Spending Plan for a specified period of time is really important. Currently, all we can see is if we did ok with the income/expenses spending plan in a one-month period of time. We have no ability to run a report that shows how we performed against our plan for the last 6 months or 12 months as an example. This would be a REALLY helpful feature.

• Ed Rizzolo
    Ed Rizzolo Member ✭✭

A Spending Plan report tab in the Reports section with the following views:

• For past months, compare planned spending to actual spending based on a selected period. This would be very similar to the Net Income Report, but would be comparing planned income/spending to actual income/spending. Could select month ranges, custom dates, or even a year as can do with the Net Income report.
    • Have a view for future months, showing planned income v. planned spending. Could see by month or in total for the year.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16

It is better to start with more than one vote as it increases the chance of consideration. Here is the existing idea that matches yours, vote for it.

[removed link to merged thread]

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• ainchns
    ainchns Member

Definitely a needed feature, I am currently using the reports feature to look at actual spending and then trying to remember what I used to have as an annual budget number from Mint.

• DavidB
    DavidB Member ✭✭
    edited February 24

I honestly can't think of a feature that would be more important to me than a Budget vs Actual report. The Spending Plan does nothing for me, I already know I have enough money to cover the items, I just want to know if I'm over budget or under budget and if so, by how much.

I am doing this in a spreadsheet now and it's a huge pain, I have to export out all of Simplifi's transactions, build a pivot table by Category & Subgategory, etc. I am surprised this is not built into Simplifi.

• Wahoo
    Wahoo Member

I understand that Simplify does not calculate year to date planned expenses/budget vs actual expenses, by category, only monthly. I previously used this feature in Quicken and Mint, and most people look at a yearly budget. Can you add this?

Thanks.

• Read
    Read Member

i concur - a budget to actual report would be extremely helpful. I assumed this type of report would be included when i signed up.

How does Quicken keep track of these types of requests - do they survey their customers?