Workflow for processing new transactions

prat0088
prat0088 Member ✭✭✭
edited December 2021 in Feature Requests

I want to inspect every transaction that comes in to make sure it wasn’t fraudulent, then to add a memo and verify the category is correct.

There is no way to do this now. I go to transactions and just get one long list. I can’t tell what is new and what I’ve seen.

YNAB does an excellent job with this. It makes it super easy:

1) New transactions have a blue dot.
2) There is a dedicated “New Transactions” tab that behaves like an inbox.
3) When you open a transaction and close it the blue dot goes away.

A filter option isn’t enough because you are doing this every. Single. Day. It needs to be a separate tab with an indicator of the number of new transactions. Then you souls be able to swipe and mark reviewed.

16 votes

Completed · Last Updated

Added "Reviewed" Column

Comments

• GaryG
    GaryG Member

I would find it very helpful if there were a way to flag that a transaction has been reviewed. This would save me time when I am verifying new transactions for accuracy.

• Coach Paco
    Coach Paco Moderator admin

We appreciate the feedback!!! I can definitely submit that suggestion for you and hopefully we will have something in the works to make it easier to identify new transactions!

• bcrossman
    bcrossman Member ✭✭✭✭

I haven’t used YNAB, but I have a similar workflow and this would be a VERY helpful feature. I’m always afraid I’ve overlooked a transaction because it sits pending for a while and/or shows up buried too far down my transactions list. A simple indicator, like a blue dot, would help me quickly identify transactions that still require my review. Great suggestion!

• Coach Nicole
    Coach Nicole Administrator, Moderator admin

Welcome, @prat0088! This is great feedback, thank you. I hope others vote to see this feature added. I’ve added my vote! ;) Thanks again!

• prat0088
    prat0088 Member ✭✭✭
    Exactly what @bcrossman said.

But I’m thinking one step further, too. Add a badge to the home screen add on to show you how many new transactions you have without opening the app! And within the app maybe display a red number or some sort of counter next to the transactions menu item to indicate there are new transactions needing your attention.

I feel that’s the difference between good enough (a blue dot) and excellent (notification numbers to prompt the user to open the app and review transactions, and a one-tap way to see all of the new transactions for processing)
  • paleosteve
    paleosteve Member ✭✭

Excellent suggestion. In designing this, perhaps the workflow should be optional so no one needs to be forced into one track every time.

• bowgy4
    bowgy4 Member ✭✭✭✭

For me, it's less about fraudulent transactions and more about just making sure that the categories are correct. I like this idea a lot.

@prat0088 For now, I'd suggest using the tags feature and create a "reviewed" tag. You can't sort or filter by tags yet, but I'm sure a filter on tags feature is coming soon and at least you can get an "at-a-glance" indicator similar to a blue dot this way with relatively little effort.

• bcrossman
    bcrossman Member ✭✭✭✭

As I use Simplifi to review more and more accounts, I realize how important this feature will be. I already find that I am “losing” transactions that go from pending to cleared, but do not appear at the top of my transactions list. Some way to easily and quickly identify newly cleared transactions so they can be appropriately categorized is essential to adequately monitoring transactions.

• As a former mint user I had a workaround. I had a tag names “reviewed” and could exclude it with the search “-tag:reviewed” showing the transactions I haven’t looked over. In Simplifi you exclude tags in search, so sadly it doesn’t work. Would love to see a feature that solves this problem, definitely a must

• Coach Nicole
    Coach Nicole Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited February 2020

Hi All,

We're happy to announce that we've added a Reviewed column so you can track new transactions and ones you've reviewed. You can enable the column by following the below steps:

1. Click on the Gear icon above the register in the Transaction Activity to show the display options.
    2. Select the Show/Hide Columns submenu at the bottom of the dropdown list.
    3. Click on Reviewed.

Thank you all for your feedback!

• bcrossman
    bcrossman Member ✭✭✭✭

This is a really nice feature! Are there plans to incorporate it into the iOS app?

• Coach Paco
    Coach Paco Moderator admin

@bcrossman Right now, our team is looking into it but there is no eta for when that will be available.

This discussion has been closed.