Ability to reconcile accounts [edited] (1 Merged Vote)

Options
2»

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Options

@KimH CPA Simplifi starts with some balance from the bank (with or without pending) then includes pending (if needed) then includes manual (not yet pending, like checks or payments which are outstanding) to get a balance that includes everything. Simplifi never looks at cleared transactions to affect the balance, they're historical only.

Rob Wilkens

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@KimH CPA, I found a workable work-around that works for me. Maybe it would work for you?

Each month, when I receive my statement, I simply use the green “Reviewed” column (on desktop) to do a reconciliation of sorts.  I check off each transaction on my statement with pen and then mark it as reviewed in Simplifi.  Once an entire month has been turned green, I minimize it by hiding all the individual transactions.

This process HAS found errors which - in my mind - is one of the main reasons for doing a reconciliation.

Yes, it’s a workaround and yes, Simplifi should create an actual reconciliation process, but in the meantime, I’m happy enough with this general process.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

One of the reasons I dropped Quicken in favor of Simplifi is the absolute lack of necessity to do reconciliation. I've lost soooo many hours of my life trying to reconcile with Quicken, usually ending up with a meaningless "balance adjustment" that does nothing at all to identify the real source of the error.

With Simplifi I cannot imagine a case where I would need to reconcile accounts, and it would be a huge letdown for me if the app ever got so convoluted that it becomes necessary - or even possible.

In my experience, if Simplifi is used the way it's intended, instead of trying to twist it into a cloud-based Quicken, reconciling becomes totally moot.

That check that never got cashed? Happens to me all the time. I have a kid who scoops snow for me and he will wait weeks or sometimes months before cashing the check. I just keep moving the due date of the check out a week, and when it finally does get cashed Simplifi handles it effortlessly. Quicken would pitch all manner of fits.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• GreenSpring
    GreenSpring Member
    Options

What is the point if I cannot reconcile?

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options

@GreenSpring What is the point of rreconciling?

Rob Wilkens

• MMC
    MMC Member
    Options

Please add a way to reconcile accounts. It doesn't have to be a traditional method. I just need a means to verify transactions aren't missed, incorrect, outstanding etc.

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@MMC , the process explained in my post above from March 13th does exactly what your asking for - verifying that no transactions are missed. I’ve done it for long enough now that I know it works and, honestly, it doesn’t feel like a workaround although technically you could say it is. To me it’s just Simplifies ‘untraditional’ method of account reconciliation.

I voted for this post, but at this point, it would just be to have Simplifi improve on what they already have.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Please give us the ability to Reconsile within Simplifi. As a long term Quickbooks user I really miss it and it gives closure to the account and a way to double check everything.

• Cats1055
    Options

I need to reconcile to make sure everything is accounted for and correct. Otherwise it is not accounting and you don’t know if you numbers are correct.

• jeffsgirl
    Options

If Simplifi had a reconcile feature, I would pay full price for it. As it is, I have decided to stick to a program that allows me to reconcile each month's statement. Some of us are old school (not old people, but old school) and like to be thorough in our finances. Of course, having the feature available wouldn't keep any non-reconcilers from using the program as usual, but having a reconcile feature would accommodate current and potential users who believe this is a MUST HAVE.

• Crownmountain
    Crownmountain Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

Wrong thread

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree with @ajbopp - I enjoy the reviewed capability and do not want to reconcile the accounts either. If this feature is implemented, please make it optional for the user to turn on. I do not want to be forced to reconcile.

I imported transactions to Simplifi since 2021, which is what Wells Fargo downloaded. Having reconciliation turned on will force me to find an opening balance from two years ago and to fix the register, which can be time consuming.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• pdflint
    Options

Until recently, I used to reconcile an account by clicking on the "Not Reviewed" filter to only show the transactions that were added since the account was last reconciled. I could then select each transaction against the corresponding transaction on a monthly statement. A box would appear next to "Search Transactions" that would indicate the quantity and total value of selected transactions. If everything was correct, the amount shown in the box would equal the amount on the billing statement. Clicking on the "Mark Reviewed" box at the top would check all the selected transactions and the account would be reconciled. Just recently, a different box appears next to "Search Transactions" that now indicates the number of transactions that have not been reviewed since a specific point in time (beginning of the year, beginning of the previous year, etc.) and the total value for those transactions. Selecting an individual transaction does not alter the number of unreviewed transactions or the total value. I am not sure what I am supposed to do with this information as it appears to be useless. Please fix whatever was changed.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@pdflint, it sounds like you're being impacted by the known issue here:

If so, please be sure to follow along there for updates.

-Coach Natalie

• jaburo
    jaburo Unconfirmed, Member
    Options

please create an account reconciliation. Basic part of accounting and managing your money.