My Investments tab summary Total gain does not equal the sum of the individual holdings’ Total gain
I was asked by the "Ask AI" tool to report this to Simplifi Support. Not sure if the issue is just for me or if it affects others as well.
Hi @Oogway,
Thanks for bringing this to our attention! I can see how it would be confusing if the Total Gain shown in the Investments summary doesn't match the sum of the Total Gain amounts for the individual holdings.
Could you please provide screenshots showing the Investments summary and the individual holdings where you're seeing the discrepancy? Please be sure to cover any personal or account information before posting them.
Once we can see the specific values involved, we can take a closer look at what may be causing the difference.
Thanks!
Above is the screenshot requested.
Thanks for providing the screenshot! To rule out any connection-related issues, please try the following:
Once you've completed the steps, please check the Investments tab again and let us know if the Total Gain still doesn’t match the individual holdings.
[Removed - Duplicate Post]
I completed all these steps and it made absolutely no difference.
Thank you for your reply,
I tested in my Quicken Simplifi, but I was not able to replicate what you're seeing. I noticed that some of your holdings have an * next to the number of shares. Have you manually edited those holdings?
To confirm whether those holdings are causing the discrepancy, have you tried excluding the accounts they're in to see whether the values match when you don't factor those holdings in?
I look forward to your response!
I'm also not sure how the * got there. At some point in the past I was manually maintaining the cost basis for the constituent accounts underneath those investments. But now I don't see any feature / ability to keep the cost basis updated. Even though I have accounts in the breakdown of for example the QTUM investment, that are indicating that the cost needs to be updated. When I ask Quicken AI about it, it says the cost comes from the brokerage account as the source and I don't have a way to update it.
Also can you provide the steps to exclude the accounts from the investments view, to try to find which account is causing the discrepancy? I haven't tried that and I'm not sure how to.
@Oogway, thanks for the reply!
I don't see anything in our help center that says whether cost basis is locked in by what the bank sends for connected accounts. What happens when you click the little triangle with an exclamation point? Does that allow you to add/edit the cost basis? Since gain is calculated using cost basis, that's the only potential culprit I can think of, based on the data shown in your screenshot.
You can also try temporarily disconnecting from the bank to see whether the data then displays correctly, or whether you can edit the cost basis to correct it manually. This could help us determine whether the issue is connection-related or if something is going on with the Quicken Simplifi Portfolio itself.
Here are the steps to make an account manual: https://support.simplifi.quicken.com/en/articles/5321064-switch-a-connected-account-to-manual-mode#h_d9c41566d8
The steps further down in that article go over re-linking the account to the bank: https://support.simplifi.quicken.com/en/articles/5321064-switch-a-connected-account-to-manual-mode#h_5efd942482
As for excluding accounts from the Portfolio view, there is an account filter at the top of the page:
I also noticed that you have Fidelity holdings. Do any of them show an incorrect cost basis? I ask because this is a known issue that may be impacting you:
Let us know if this helps you narrow things down!
Hi I don't want to make the accounts manual and re-link. Don't want to break anything. If there is an ongoing issue with Fidelity, I'll wait till that is resolved, as that could be my problem as well, as the majority of my stuff is there.
Even after resolving all the incomplete gain errors by clicking the little triangles with the exclamation marks on each individual line item, the total gain at the top is still marked incomplete, and clicking on the little triangle on the Total Gain at the top does nothing.
Absolutely, you can wait for the known Fidelity issue to be resolved before making any changes to your accounts. Since you’ve already seen the alert, that may be the best option if you’d prefer not to risk disrupting anything.
Alternatively, you’re welcome to reach out to our Support team directly so they can review your specific case and check what’s happening with your Fidelity connections. You can find the contact options here:
https://support.simplifi.quicken.com/en/articles/5077917-how-to-contact-support?