Mobile App - Upcoming Transaction Bug

Options
purdnost
purdnost Member ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2023 in Troubleshooting
A newly added upcoming transaction can’t be marked as a bill until the bill date has passed. Notes and tags also cannot be added until then.

But, I found a way around this, which actually does contain some unwanted bugs.

To replicate, go to Spending Plan, Other spending, open an upcoming transaction, enable “Is a Bill” toggle. In my case, I have a fresh account, so I scheduled all of my upcoming recurring bills.

This converts the transaction into a reminder which shows up in Settings > Recurring Series.

Bugs:

1. Settings > Recurring: Displays next bill date not as the next instance, but the one after. For example, I have a bill scheduled for September 16, but it says the next bill date is October 16. In other words, the app is seeing this bill as having been paid for the current cycle. Note that the reminder/bill is still in the Upcoming section and does not appear in the All Transactions list as the date is still forthcoming.

2. Spending Plan > Total to spend > Bills: Displays bills added this way as “Paid”.

3. When I attempt to delete the transaction (converted to a reminder using this method) from the Upcoming side scroll list by tapping on it and then tapping on “Edit Transaction”, I get the following error:

Error

Illegal Operation because
Cannot accept txn that is
not a pending schedule txn

I was, however, able to delete it by instead tapping on “Edit Transaction” and then “Delete Transaction” from that window. I then had to go to Settings > Recurring Series and delete the series to remove all future scheduled iterations.

Additional notes:

The Upcoming section shows the bill with the correct bill date.

Also, this seems to apply only to expenses and not income as the Other spending section within Spending Plan only accounts for expenses.

While I would like to preemptively mark upcoming transactions as bills, as well as add notes and tags, I will refrain from using this workaround to maintain overall accuracy across the app.

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Hello @purdnost,

Thanks for reporting this to the Community!

When attempting to replicate this behavior, it looks like when creating the Recurring Series from the Upcoming Transaction, you need to manually select the date of the next occurrence, as it looks like it automatically defaults to the following month. This is most likely due to already having an Upcoming Transaction set up for the item for the current month.

To clarify, the Recurring Series that you create from the existing Transaction doesn't change anything with that Transaction, it just creates a Series based on the details of the Transaction, and also links the Transaction to the Series. So the Upcoming Transaction would still appear in the Upcoming section as it originally did.

In regards to deleting the Transaction, I'm not sure where you're referring to when attempting to do so, as I didn't have any issues deleting the next Reminder instance, or the Recurring Series itself. It does, however, sound like the error may fall in line with the workaround that you used to create the Reminder to begin with, so I'm not sure that this is anything we'd be able to report since it wasn't an official/by design method. 

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any questions! :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • purdnost
    purdnost Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Coach Natalie,

Correction:

3. When I attempt to delete the transaction (converted to a reminder using this method) from the Upcoming side scroll list by tapping on it and then tapping on “Delete Transaction”, I get the following error:
  • Coach Natalie
    Options
    Hello @purdnost,

I'm not too sure what you're referring to by "the Upcoming side scroll list" -- would you mind clarifying, please? :smiley:

-Coach Natalie
  • purdnost
    purdnost Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Coach Natalie,

Sorry, it’s the Upcoming list at the top of All Transactions that scrolls horizontally.
  • Coach Natalie
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Hello @purdnost,

Thanks for confirming!

I was now able to replicate this error, and although it may be caused by performing an unintended function in the App, it's not occurring on the Web App, so I did go ahead and get it reported as a Mobile-specific bug. I'll be sure to post back as soon as I receive an update!

You may also consider creating an Idea post requesting the ability to create a Recurring Series from an Upcoming Transaction, as I'm not finding an existing one. :wink:

-Coach Natalie 

SIMPL-10556
  • Coach Natalie
    Options
    Hello @purdnost,

It's been a while, so I wanted to touch base with you on this issue -- it looks like you're no longer subscribed to Simplifi, however, since I am still able to reproduce this issue, I will continue to post back here with updates in case other users are watching for a resolution. 

For any other users that may be watching this issue, there is no ETA on a resolution as of yet. However, I did give the ticket a bump and will continue to post updates here. 

Let us know if anyone has any questions!

-Coach Natalie
  • Coach Natalie
    Options

Hello All,

For anyone who may have been watching this issue, it appears to now be resolved. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

This discussion has been closed.