Mobile app's delayed response to input

Options
2»

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hey everyone!

We've started releasing 4.0.0 to 10% of Android users. If you have this update available, please be sure to update the Simplifi Mobile App and let us know of any issues. If things go well, the plan is to then release 4.0.0 to 10% of iOS users, and then continue staging the release from there until it's fully live.

Please let us know how things are working once you have 4.0.0!

-Coach Natalie

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I might have 4.0.0 on android, looks a little different, notably on entering transactions. Unsure how to check version.

The number entry keyboard, if you have control over that, lacks a decimal point button without going into the extra keys (2nd set of keys for symbols).

Rob Wilkens

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Options

Also, would be nice if when adding a transaction within an account it would fill in that acount in account field.

Rob Wilkens

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Overall, though, 4.0.0 is less frustrating, for example touch responsiveness is better on menus.

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Natalie
    Options

Thanks, @RobWilk!

The older versions of the Mobile App don't have a decimal point on the keyboard either, so it sounds like this hasn't changed. If you want to see this added to the numerical keyboard on the Mobile App, I'd suggest creating an Idea post to request it.

The only significant structural/UI changes that I'm aware of with 4.0.0 is the Upcoming section, the Upcoming card on the Dashboard, and the create and edit transaction modal. Sadly, I was not in the 10% percent of Android users for 4.0.0, so I haven't been able to check out these changes yet. Some of them may be coming with 4.1.0 as well (I'll know more when I dig into the Release Notes).

As for the account not being filled in when entering a transaction from the account directly, I passed this feedback along, as this has never been the case prior, and it makes no sense to remove this functionality. Hopefully they get that coded back in. 🤞

Otherwise, I'm glad to hear that things seem to be responding better and running faster! That was the goal! 🥳

-Coach Natalie

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Coach Natalie The older versions (from muscle memory, maybe not reality) auto-filled the decimal point (as you typed, it placed the numbers around the decimal point) the new one doesn't do that, so the decimal point on the keyboard is a littlte more important.

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@RobWilk, that's right — the current version I have (3.28.1) has an automatic decimal place, which is why there's no decimal on the numerical keyboard. What do you have to do now to enter the decimals? Can you upload a video perhaps so I can check it out and see if there's a functionality loss/pass it along?

Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Rob Wilkens

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Separate from the amount field entry in that video (The Decimal Point Issue), you'll notice "Account" is not filled in even though i started from an account page (I started the video a couple screens back on purpose for that).

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Natalie
    Options

Thanks for the video, @RobWilk — that helped a lot!

I'm not sure why they'd remove the automatic decimal place, or why they'd bury the decimal in the 2nd layer of the keyboard. A decimal is literally required for every transaction entry! 😓

Let's do this — I'd like to have you create an Idea post for each of the items you've mentioned. One should request that the 'Account' field be automatically filled in when creating a new transaction from the account directly. The other one should be to add an automatic decimal place when entering a new transaction or to move the decimal to the main keyboard. Please specify that both of these requests are for the Mobile App and that the behavior changed after the 4.0.0 release.

Once these are submitted, I will forward both of them to our Product Team so they're aware, and I will try to get some tickets pushed through on them (hopefully these changes were oversights and not intentional). At any rate, this will at least get these behaviors in front of the Team, help make them aware of how these changes have degraded the user experience, and will allow me to continue updating the Community via the Idea posts, as I'm sure you won't be the only one that notices or is impacted by these changes.

Much appreciated!

-Coach Natalie

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I will do it when i get home.. probably around 2 hours.

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Natalie
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hello everyone!

Mobile version 4.0.0 has now been released to 100% of Android users and is being released in stages to iOS users. For anyone who's had the opportunity to upgrade to 4.0.0, what do you think?! I'm personally noticing that it's much faster!

We'd love to hear feedback from users who have reported issues in this thread. @josh_shannon @mjn1979 @spyderdan @MinB @ijac

Much appreciated!

-Coach Natalie

• mjn1979
    mjn1979 Member ✭✭
    Options

Hey Coach Natalie, 4.0 is waaaay better on my Pixel. Thanks team

• josh_shannon
    josh_shannon Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Coach Natalie I have been using v4.0.0 for a few days now on my Pixel 4a. The navigation performance is significantly better. I can click around the application, open and close the menu, and navigate to new screens with it hanging on each touch input. Additionally, opening the view/edit transaction screen is much faster. It used to take 5-10 seconds to click into a transaction. Now it loads in 1-2 seconds the first time and then almost instantly after that.

I do have a few performance related complaints. The app takes a very long time start. From the time I launch the application to the time I see the home screen, it takes nearly 20 seconds. I don't see this type of problem with other apps on my phone. Also, saving/updating a transaction still takes over 5 seconds to see the "Transaction Updates" notification and to see the updates in the table of transactions. I completely understand peformance of applications will vary from phone to phone, this is just what I'm seeing on my 3 year old Pixel 4a.

Finally, one other thing I noticed from v4 that isn't really performance related is Account View screen has some strange scrolling behavior. Only the Recent Activity section scrolls at the bottom. This means that if you have any Upcoming transactions for that account, the window is extremely small. On my phone, I can only see 3.5 transactions at a time, making it very difficult to manage an account's transactions. I'm attaching a screenshot. The area I drew in red is the only area that actually scrolls.

In general, this is a massive step in the right direction. I can actually use this app on my phone now. Over the last few months I've just stopped trying to use Simplifi on my phone and always pull up the website on my laptop. Please express my thanks to the team for this big improvement. Hopefully they are able to keep iterating and making more changes that help the usability of the application.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Options

After reading that it took 20 seconds, I just checked my simplifi app load time twice (fully exiting in between) and for me, on a Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra, the load time is 4 seconds to get to home screen. Someone may have a suggestion like clearing app cache or reinstalling the app, presuming there is not a 5x difference in speed between the phones.

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@mjn1979 @josh_shannon @RobWilk , thank you for the feedback! I'm glad to hear the Mobile App is working better for our users. 🥳

@josh_shannon I shared your comment with our Product Team and discovered that there is a change planned for scrolling the Transaction Activity screens where the only data that will stick to the top is the Search bar. This should clear up some room and make the scrollable transaction list a lot bigger.

-Coach Natalie

• josh_shannon
    josh_shannon Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@RobWilk thanks for the suggestion. I thought about doing that myself and hadn't tried it yet. I cleared User Data and Cache. Then signed into the app and waited for the initial download. After exiting the app and launching, it's still taking 18-20 seconds from launch to home screen. I have all my financial data going back to 2008 (imported from Mint.com when I switched over to Simplifi). Maybe the amount of transaction data has something to do with the slow launch time? I'm not sure how the application is designed to know if that makes sense or not.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@josh_shannon, it is most likely your transaction history, as we have an ongoing topic for that here. That issue is affecting both Mobile and Web and the ticket for it is still open and being worked on.

It's possible that version 4.0.0 may help with that issue on the Mobile App, however, as far as I'm aware, 4.0.0 was more geared toward the touch response issues, latency when navigating around, and some users were completely unable to use it due to a continuous spinning icon.

Since you have extensive transaction history, I'd suggest following along with the other thread to keep an eye out for a solution, and then let us know if you're still experiencing slow loading after that. I don't think a 3-year-old phone is old enough to cause issues (I'm still using a Galaxy S10). 🙂

-Coach Natalie

• spyderdan
    spyderdan Member ✭✭
    Options

Version 4.0 has completely fixed all issues i have had. No complaints from me anymore!

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.