Add option to create Planned Spending Expenses based on Tags (2 Merged Votes)

lost_references
lost_references Member ✭✭
edited June 2022 in Feature Requests
Please add the ability to create expenses based on a chosen tag, not just by category. Here's an example of why this is a good idea:

I am currently planning a wedding, which involves both saving and spending. My fiance and I decided that we would allot $300/month to spend on wedding stuff. I want to be able to create an expense in my planned spending for this so that I can see it in my spending plan, but I don't want to have to create a special category for "wedding" since I'd still like to know how much of my money is being spent in each category.
25 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Currently you can only use Categories in the Planned Spending feature. I would like to be able to setup a planned expense with a Tag. I understand you can use the watchlist to keep track of this but I prefer the planned spending feature for certain items that Im trying to budget for.
  • I agree with this feature request! The Spending Plan section would be so much useful for me if I could add items based on a Tag. In my case I would like to track how much I spend on dating, on a specific vacation or on a child for example. Setting a category for any of those items would not make sense, it needs to be done based on a tag.
  • 4alizer
    4alizer Member
    edited June 2022
    If I know I am marking a large, one-time purchase during a month, it would be great to link a transaction to that one-time expense using tags. Currently, I'd use the 'Shopping' category in my spending plan, but then all other shopping purchases would count towards that expense. Instead, I'd like to see additional categorization using tags for these expenses.

For example, if I'm planning on buying a $1000 TV this month, I'd like to further classify this expense/purchase using the tag 'New TV'. Of course, I could do this currently with Categories, but then my Category list would be filled with one-time-use items.
  • mblank78
    mblank78 Member ✭✭
    I realize this thread is a little old but could not find another one regarding this topic. The tag feature for planned spending would be super useful. Say you go on vacation; eat out, do some shopping, rent car, buy gas, etc.. It would be nice to be able to plan for a "vacay 2022" tag. Then you can plan based on the tag instead of adding every category to the planned spending. I don't want to create a category for "vacay 2022" because then I can't figure out what I spent on each category while on vacation.
  • evbot
    evbot Member

+2 from us on this! We are just getting into the spending plan part of this app, and the tags would make this usable for us.

• I 100% percent agree. I’m surprised this feature is not already implemented. I love the app but I am surprised I can’t track spending based on a tag.

I don’t want to have to make a category for allowances or events; doing so reduces the resolution at which I track my spending.

I want to be able to track family spending in the spending plan; set for example 500 dollars a month for an allowance, and then have transactions be added based on a tag.

This would allow me to have an allowance for my child for example and still track the categories they spent on.

@lost_references mentioned a wedding example, this is a great example.

This is the only feature missing for me to 100% replace EveryDollar, I find the 0 based budget essential - I want to assign and track every penny I spend.

Please devs add this!! As a developer myself I don’t think it can be that hard?

Also I want to compliment the app it’s beautiful! I believe it’s built with React Native right?

• Mark23
    Mark23 Member

YES PLEASE! Need this, for some things I want the granularity but I also want to make a few with a bunch lumped in

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭

Please add the ability to select multiple categories in Spending Plan within the Planned Spending group

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭

This will be nice to have in the spending plan to track vacation expenses with a vacation tag that fall into multiple categories.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭

It's not something I am likely to use (I only use two different tags), but it's this would be valuable to others so I upvoted it.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭

I'd like the ability to create a tag for Planned Spending items.

My use case is that I have Planned Spending items for things like Entertainment and Alcohol. I know that these are (almost) always going to get a specific tag ("Discretionary" in these cases).

If this were done, then it would also be possible to include Planned Spending items in the "Projected" field in Watchlists (this is assuming that field gets updated to actually include what is scheduled - and in this case, planned - to be spent in the Spending Plan).

Anthony Bopp

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1

I might vote for this, but in terms of reserving money in planned spending, if there were an entertainment category reserved and a discretionary tag reserved, which one (in your mind) would be assigned the expense first? i.e. You wouldn't want an expense to count twice.

Oops, I just saw I had already voted for the original idea on this (thanks @UrsulaA for posting the link to the soon to be merged topic)

Rob Wilkens

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1

Good news! This idea post already exists with 21 votes. Vote for it below.

[removed link to merged thread]

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭

LOL, I voted for this just last month. Are the coaches sure they want me as a super user?

Anthony Bopp