Reports: Add "All Time" range and "By Year" display option for annual comparison in all reports

Options
jsy42
jsy42 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2023 in Feature Requests

The longest range option in all of the reports is "Last Year", and you can only display by month. For year-over-year comparisons, it would be nice to have a range option to display all available data with the ability to display by year instead of by month. For example: income, spending, or net income by year for the last 5 years.

76 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Deg
    Deg Member
    Options

100 agree. Isn't one of the main purposes of budget softare to be able to compare to years past?

• chadv
    chadv Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

There is currently a limit on how far back you can go date-wise when generating reports.

You should absolutely be able to select whatever date range you want in Reports. An "all time" button would also be an nice feature. [removed]

Being able to see reports ranging further out than 5 years is key for some of us in understanding the broader trends. I think this is an absolute must.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@chadv, thanks for posting your suggestion to the Community!

I have gone ahead and turned this into an Idea post requesting an "All Time" Date Range option for Reports so other users can vote on it and our product team can review it.

-Coach Natalie

• bcrossman
    bcrossman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I just discovered this restriction, as well. I'm not sure when it was introduced, but I'm certain that simplifi used to allow custom reports beyond 5 years in the past. One of the attractive features of Simplifi for me is that I could upload years of transaction history from M-i-n-t, but this features is much less useful if I can't run reports on a significant portion of that history.

As a threshold issue, Simplifi should allow custom reports based on ANY period, but I also wholly support an "All Time" option that would presumably run the report based on the individual's entire account history.

• chadv
    chadv Member
    Options

Yes I agree that just adding "All Time" doesn't really address the need. Custom reports are fundamental and, as you mentioned, available with other platforms.

Thank you Natalie for passing along my suggestion. I do hope they consider it in full.

• OverdoingIt
    Options

1000000% this is a must-have! I'm surprised it hasn't been added!

• captainjman2
    Options

Love this!

• ClaireD
    ClaireD Member ✭✭
    Options

in addition to "all time" option, it would be really useful to have unlimited flexibility in the date ranges. I hope if the "all time" feature is implemented that it would also include fully customize-able range options. Or does that need to be a separate feature request?

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@ClaireD You can now select custom and enter any date range unless I misunderstand what you mean. If you want to be able to customize the pre-set date ranges, that's a new-to-me idea and I don't know whether anyone else has suggested that.

Rob Wilkens

• ClaireD
    ClaireD Member ✭✭
    Options

@RobWilk you can do a custom range but only back 5 years. But I'd like to be able to do custom beyond 5 years. So like if I wanted to look at what my spending was like during my daughter's daycare years, I'd need to see 2015 to 2020, but I can't do anything further than 2018. This is more specific than a general "all time" drop down, and is currently not possible.

• Da007
    Da007 Member
    Options

Only being able to go back 5 years is very limiting. Please consider expanding this out to cover all date rangers that the customer currently has transactions for.

• JHSea
    Options

Agree. Was a big fan of Mint's "Trends" report that compared time periods this year versus the same time period last year. This was super helpful to see what progress I'd made in each category from last year to this year. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to add this comparison feature?

• Tom B
    Tom B Member
    Options

New User 11/16 and have come over from Mint . I have a hard time believing that a budgeting app doesn't include a comparison feature. I was told that it did by one of the 'coaches". Also, the marketing material specifically states that one can import their Mint historical data . When mine didn't work (10K) I was told that I had to do it in 300 increments. That's 33 separate CSV files ! Now I am concerned about doing it because of what I have read here regarding slow response time. Has anyone done the hard labor on the 300 transaction limit to see if the response time is satisfactory?

Definitely a need to hire Mint programmers in my view.

• bcrossman
    bcrossman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Does anyone else remember Simplifi allowing reports that go back beyond 5 years? When I first joined Simplifi a few years ago, I imported several years worth of Mint data and I'm pretty sure I was able to run reports on the entire data set, including transactions older than 5 years. I'm troubled that that is no longer an option, as it really diminishes the value of joining Simplifi with an established set of data to import. I think it is essential to be able to run reports over ANY period.

If I'm right that this changed at some point, could one of the mods provide an explanation why? And are there plans to change it back?

• Another Stephen
    Options

Also just coming from mint and was very disappointed to see that I can only run reports 5 years back. Would very much like to see what everyone else also is wanting to see. All times, comparison by year, etc,

• flintster_99
    flintster_99 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

Agree that 5 years is too limiting (coming from Quicken classic, used since 1991 and even then there wasn't a limitation…)

My real-world use case is tracking of kids college costs to see when they run out of their allowance :) my daughter is about to go to grad school and may work for a year so costs will be spread out for 7,8,9 years..

Still wouldn't be tons of data, but need to go back further…

Even if it wasn't an 'all time', but removing the UI restriction that forces a start date no longer than 5 years ago…

I do have to say though I just started using Simplifi in preparation for my Quicken subscription running out, determining if I should renew… and I'm really impressed with Simplifi. Just a couple warts (and some omissions and limitations in investments… but the brokerage platforms have so much in that area it's not as much of an issue as it would have been 20 years ago :)

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

When a long time range (over 2 years) is entered, the report needs to aggregate the data by year. That will be helpful. I agree with comments above regarding the all time toggle.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Sharonben
    Options

I was shocked to discover that comparison reports by category aren't possible. I cancelled my subscription because of it. I want to be able to compare how much I spent on x last year vs this year, or ytd, etc

• Eltay
    Eltay Member
    Options

Reports should include any date range not just a few years. Also the calendar in reports needs a lot of work. Choosing a date range is difficult. Should be more like the calendar for creating a manual transaction which has a year picker. It should also have a month picker.

• khorner
    khorner Member
    Options

I agree with a previous poster that I would really like to have the ability to compare my category spending this year to the previous year. Mint has this and I use it a lot. But even more important to me, and it's been mentioned many, many times before, is the option to rollover category budget spend to the next month rather than the monthly zero based budgeting.

• khorner
    khorner Member
    edited January 7
    Options

One feature I really miss from Mint is the ability to see data from a selected time period compared to another selected time period's data.

[Merged Post]

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7
    Options

Here is an existing feature request that is like what you outlined. Vote for it. The more votes, the merrier 😊

[Merged Post]

Minter 2014-2023

• Wedo778
    Wedo778 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Adding that when doing a custom date range, especially a long range, I would still want monthly data points and not annual data points. A long list of data points should be doable.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5
    Options

The mobile app, interestingly enough, does give me a long list of monthly data points for the net worth, spending, and net income reports for a date range longer than 5 years. The web app needs this feature as well.

Minter 2014-2023

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

I'd suggest having one of you create a separate Idea post asking for a monthly breakdown in Reports with extended date ranges, or even the option to switch between a monthly and yearly breakdown in general. I'm not finding an existing Idea post for this, so let's get some votes!

-Coach Natalie

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • DavidB
    DavidB Member ✭✭
    Options

What we need is a CUSTOM DATE RANGE. Any dates we want. I have worked with many reporting tools and this is the first one that does not let the user put in a custom range. You're forcing me to go to the

And what's with the talk about going back 5 years - I don't see that option anywhere. The only thing I see is "Last Year." You're forcing me to export the data and doing it in Excel.

• Eltay
    Eltay Member
    Options

Just select the dates in the calendar or enter the dates manually in each box. I think now you can search back more than 5 years.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can type the needed dates on the start and end date. I am able to go back to the beginning of my history in September 2014.

Minter 2014-2023