Link Part of a Split Transaction to a Recurring Bill [edited] (1 Merged Vote)

ccrawford
ccrawford Member ✭✭
edited January 2022 in Feature Requests
Please allow us to link part of a split transaction to a recurring bill/subscription. 
54 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Hello @ccrawford,

Thanks for posting your suggestion to the Community; you've got my vote!

I have gone ahead and turned this into an Idea post so that other Users can vote on it. Please be sure to add your vote as well! :)

-Coach Natalie
  • mverbree
    mverbree Member ✭✭✭
    Yes, I just ran across this and it would be great, Verizon and most of the cellular media companies are starting to combine cellular bills with discovery+ and disney+.  I would like have the cellular bill stand as part of my utility category and the others be part of enterntainment subscriptions.  I am sure there are countless other examples out there.  So right now this is reporting somewhat incorrectly because of the single bill.
  • This is one major deficiency keeping me from moving from Quicken to Simplifi.
  • bowgy4
    bowgy4 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Added my vote - this has become one of those routine "maintenance" tasks to edit recurring transactions to add splits.
  • It would be nice to have the possibility to assign a recurring bill to a split trasactioon. In my case the insurance company debited my bank account with my half-yearly car insurance premium together with my monthly home insurance premium. So I split the transaction into car insurance and home insurance. I was able to assign the car insurance to my recurring bill but not the premium for the home insurance.
  • SalC
    SalC Member

I have had the same problem and would like to see split transactions automatically updated in a recurring bill. Home/auto insurance is the reason I need this as well.

• EDR
    EDR Member

Allow splits within a transaction to be treated as separate transactions, specifically so I can link each of them to a recurring reminder.
    For example, I have a check that consists of three components: Salary, Commission, and Wellness Allowance. I'd like to manage them separately for reporting purposes, so I split them. However, I also want to list each of them as recurring individually.

• EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to do this with recurring income as well. If I deposit multiple checks at once, my bank combines them into one transaction and I split them up in Simplifi. Ideally I would like to link any of the checks to a recurring paycheck.

As a workaround, meanwhile, I've been processing separate deposits for each check. It works but it's not quite ideal.

• BeanCounter
    BeanCounter Member ✭✭

Noticed this weakness soon after settling in. Finally added my vote…

Spitting car & life insurance on a single recurring payment. Must manually correct each month. I'd rather not think about it. Manual is irritating.

Would be nice to get feedback why this hasn't been done considering lots of upvotes and so much time on the list.

• Jerrod
    Jerrod Member

Adding my vote to this. I just switched from Mint and am liking Simplifi so far, but I do think the way Mint handled splits (just making them separate transactions) is more intuitive, allows for greater transparency (e.g. when you search a category, the transaction appears only as "split"), and would solve this issue. My current work around is to just delete the transaction and add back the transactions as I would like them split and then add a note about the original amount on my statement.

• Often my Apple.com bills are combined, so that for instance, the bill for monthly subscription and an app purchase are combined into one charge on my credit card. In Simplifi, I then split the transaction but there's no way to link the subscription payment to my recurring reminder.

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭

Bundling is becoming more commonplace, and I think this suggestion has more and more merit as time goes on.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• Voting for this one as well! Another example - my monthly recurring mortgage payment includes, mortgage payment, home insurance, property tax and mortgage insurance. If the app could auto-assign/split the transaction into these categories, it would be ideal. I have it set currently as a recurring bill, but need to edit each time to assign to multiple categories each time. Same with my T-Mobile bill with includes both my cell phone service and broadband internet service.

• I just had this come up where one of my monthly subscriptions got lumped together with other single charges from Apple and I can’t link just the bill part to my recurring transaction. It would be very helpful to be able to assign splits to their own bills

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭

@Michael Q my mortgage statement includes all of those things plus interest, and that seems to me to be the sticking point. How to separate the principle from the interest payment, both of which change every month.

A possible workaround is to allow the user to input their interest rate and the app calculate it for you, but that seems like it would be prone to inconsistency between QS and the bank.

Another possible solution depends on whether the bank actually sends principle vs interest on these sorts of connections. I don't know, but I could suppose it would vary from one bank to another.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• RiversideKid
    RiversideKid Member ✭✭

As a workaround I leave the series as uncategorized and when the transaction posts I edit to reflect the actuals. I would LOVE to have this 'automated' even if it isn't accurate to the penny. For example for my insurance draft I would love the series to reflect Auto: 80% and Home: 20% so that when the actual transaction posts Simplifi would record the nearly correct amounts for reporting. I believe there should be split options for recurring transactions like split by percent, split by exact amount, etc.

Insurance Draft
    Category Split By Percent:
    Home: 20%
    Auto: 80%

Quicken for Windows user since 1994 (After MYM for DOS)
    Simplifi by Quicken since 2023

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present