Ability to adjust column widths in account registers [edited] (11 Merged Votes)

RSKadish
RSKadish Member ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2022 in Feature Requests
Hi,

On a 1920x1080 resolution monitor, using Google Chrome at 100% zoom, I'm actually finding it difficult to identify payees on the Transactions screen. Blame it on the bank, but all of my debit card Apple Pay transactions start with "Mobile Purchase Sign Based." I have to hover over the payee field to see the rest. Also, if I expand the transaction, I lose the ability to hover over the payee field.

If I zoom Chrome out to about 65% I can see everything! Removing the Tags column also helps a bit, but there's no way to enter or see tags if you do that (they don't appear on the expanded view.)
46 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Coach Paco
    Coach Paco Moderator admin

@RSKadish, it sounds like having the ability to make your columns longer to fit your full payee name would help in this scenario. That is a wonderful suggestion and I hope we get more votes on this to make a change in the future!

• rickthau
    rickthau Member ✭✭

in the transaction list, would be great to be able to resize columns, and to sort on the different columns.

• System
    System Administrator admin
    edited September 2020

This discussion was created from comments split from: Improvement Suggestions.
  • Coach Tappan
    Coach Tappan Retired Coach ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

@rickthau Thanks very much for your suggestion! I'd also like the option to resize the columns on the Transactions page to emphasize what I'm looking for. It is possible to sort transactions on that page by clicking on the column headings. There's also an option to hide or show the columns you're most interested in by clicking on the Gear icon in the upper right corner of the Transactions list. (See image below.) Please keep the comments coming!

• tomlutz
    tomlutz Member ✭✭
    edited September 2020

I'm not a fan of the menus on the left expanding, I like to see everything in front of me, BUT, it is hopefully a minor adjustment to make the columns ADJUSTABLE. I hate the fact that the columns are CUTOFF in my TRANSACTION ACTIVITY page. I would love to be able to adjust the column to what I want to see, IN FULL, and what is less important and could be CUTOFF. You allow us to adjust the columns by DATE, by PAYEE, etc..... Please consider the ADJUSTABLE COLUMNS.

• Coach Tappan
    Coach Tappan Retired Coach ✭✭✭✭

@tomlutz I like this suggestion! I was happy to see that users can show or hide columns on the Transactions list by using the little "Gear" icon in at the upper right, but I'd also like to adjust the width of the remaining columns. You've got my vote!

• mjodotcom
    mjodotcom Member ✭✭

I would like to modify the default column widths in the web interface. This is a pretty standard feature of a spreadsheet type of data set, and would allow users to better optimize sizing for their liking. For example, the category field is very wide yet the payee and account ones tend to truncate information.

• akrho
    akrho Member
    Would like to show more of some columns, such as Payee, and less of others without totally hiding them
  • dl30
    dl30 Member ✭✭✭
    I am adding my vote to being able to adjust column widths. This is especially true with the Transaction Activity view redesign. There are large amounts of white space for columns that do not have much information and it is cutting off the size of the Payee field. 
  • RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You got my vote - I'd like to be able to resize AND ALSO change the order of columns.  This is not a high priority thing for me, but it would be 'nice to have' that.

Rob Wilkens

• JamesKB
    JamesKB Member
    It sure would be nice to be able to adjust individual column widths.
  • RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    You'll soon (Monday?) see this 'idea' merged with the existing idea here: [removed self-referencing link to merged thread]

I think your vote(s) will move with it.

Surprisingly, someone voted against this particular idea there.

Rob Wilkens

• ibu600
    ibu600 Member

i want adjustable column widths too

• asheroto
    asheroto Member ✭✭

Adding vote!

• roz22
    roz22 Unconfirmed, Member

Adding my vote as well. Honestly, its surprising that this thread is 4 years old and this hasn't been added yet. I even tried removing columns from my view, and instead of expanding the information in the "Payee" column, the price column expands… to a bunch of blank, empty space. No matter what I try, I can't get the full details of the Payee column, but the more columns i remove, the more blank empty space I can see.

At the very least the Payee column should be the default column that expands, when there is open space.

• brokenchord
    brokenchord Member
    edited December 2023

I agree that if the column widths cannot be adjusted, the Payee needs to be wider. On the web version, when I toggle off the display of columns that I don't need, there is a lot of empty unused space to the left of Amount column, and Payee column does not get much wider. Hiding the account bar does help some but I normally like to have it displayed. The Category column is about the same width as the Payee but it generally does not need to be as wide.

The default Payee names tend to be long, so a wider column would help identify/distinguish them and help when creating/verifying Payee rules.

• Adjust both column width and column order would be very helpful

• scotte
    scotte Member

For other columns added to the transaction view, there is so little space devoted to the field. I like to put notes in the Notes field, but there's so little real estate allotted. Not sure why? See all the blue space above between the note field and the $ field? Increasing would be splendid

• scotte
    scotte Member

Most other software allows resizing of column widths, so this is frustrating.

• Yes, please allow us to have the ability to make the "Payee" Column wider, on the Transactions page. Often the first word in the Payee Column is "Purchase" and I can see only two letters of the second word — which is the actual name of the Payee.

• taoman54
    taoman54 Member

Since this has been an issue for over 4 years I won't be holding my breath this ever gets fixed.

• +1 for allowing resizing of column widths. Please! This feels like something pretty basic.

• Being able to adjust column width is a standard feature in almost all accounting software. My dates are cut off. Does not matter what I do (unless I size it too small to be seen) when selecting or unselecting other columns, the date is the first thing to get truncated. Basic feature. Please fix this. Had I know that this was an issue before buying a year of Simplifi, I would have stayed with Quicken. Yes, that one feature is THAT important. I had to sacrifice so many other items to switch from Quicken to Simplifi, but did so knowingly and willingly. This is a basic feature. I want to quickly flip through items and when adding multiple years of data, this is really hanging me up…

PLEASE, please, please fix this!!!

• Adding my vote here too. Its crucial for me to be able to export the transactions and see the full descriptor. clicking into each transaction to see the full desciptor would take me way too much time. Would love to be able to adjust column widths or please just include the full descriptor!

• random
    random Member
    edited March 8

+1 on column width adjustment… at least as an option.

Also might help to be able to hide the Date in the gear area…

• votr
    votr Member

This is essential, I can't believe Quicken provides no solution yet