Set Recurring Series Amounts Based on Time of Year, etc.

Options
Flopbot
Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2022 in Feature Requests
Greetings,

Please consider giving us several options for how to set the Recurring Amount in our series.  Ideally, I'd love to be able to choose between:
  1. Enter Your Own Amount
  2. Running Average Based on Last 12 Months
  3. Running Average Based on Time of Year (Month)
  4. Running Highest Amount Based on Last 12 Months
I was always very impressed with Quicken Desktop because it could do #3.  This was so convenient when it came to bills like Electric & Gas which fluctuate based on time of year.

As an added bonus, this auto generated guessed amount would have a red asterisk or something beside it to warn the user that it needs replaced once the actual bill arrives.

Chris
Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
New to Simplifi in 2021.
19 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Great idea!  Hope a lot of Simplifiers jump on board with this idea.  To have Simplifi guestimate based on time of year would be so cool.  And with bill connect you wouldn't even need to worry about adjusting the amount as that will be done automatically when the monthly bill is posted.
    Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • JDNYUS
    JDNYUS Member
    Options
    Late joining but I think this would be a great idea.
  • Kanda
    Kanda Member ✭✭
    Options
    Fantastic idea, utility bills in particular swing wildly over the year due to the need for climate control in the temperate parts of the world, but this is at least somewhat predictable.
  • Mrsterry
    Mrsterry Member ✭✭
    Options
    Love this idea!
  • RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Does annual recurring transactions not let you do this now?

Rob Wilkens

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @RobWilk, no.  Right now, when creating a recurring annual/monthly transaction, there is no way to set the “Recurring Amount” to anything other than a hand-keyed number.  The number you enter doesn’t adjust up/down based on time of year.  If you set it to $100, it will always be $100 until you change it.
    Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Flopbot you missed my point -- if every January it's a certain amount, you set that amount annually in January - as opposed to consistent monthly.  You can set 12 annual amounts which are all different based on time of year.

Rob Wilkens

• dlince
    Options

Not sure if this has been implemented somewhere, but +1 to this idea! My energy bill varies every month, and it's frustrating to see "is this a recurring bill?" for each month's different amount.

• Hover2mach
    Hover2mach Member
    Options

This is mainly for variable bills, such as home electricity. Where I live it can range from $70 to $230 depending on the season. Averaging the "last 6 months" doesn't do it justice. I would like my August bill to automatically adjust for the higher bill that month.

Perhaps when programming the bill there could be a slider that asks "variable" or "seasonal" and you turn it on/off. Even more advanced would be an option of adding a ___% annually to account for rising costs.

Probably lots of ideas. Another option would be "Does this change monthly?". Then if you select "YES", it opens a table to manually type January, February, etc… Helpful, would be for it to see last years fee, that month, from that biller.

Open to other ideas. But for certain bills, the average just doesn't work.

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken has a configuration where you can set a planned expense as "approximate." I'm not sure what the algorithm is, but it works well for groceries and utility bills (at least, it did when I was using Quicken).

I've often thought this would be a great addition to Q-Simplifi

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye