Spending Plan, Watchlists, & Reports - Amount Displayed on Transaction List for Splits (edited)

Options
Flopbot
Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2023 in Feature Requests

This is intended to reduce confusion.  When someone uses splits - which I do a lot - and then views either the Spending Plan and Watchlist, this is an area that has tripped me up frequently.

Using this one as an example.... 

I truly did spend $147 on Diapers & Wipes this month.  Eek!  When I look at the list of transactions, it shows the TOTAL Amount of the entire split.  My immediate reaction is that "oh, something is wrong".  When I view all the transactions and add up the specific splits, they all total up correctly.

It would be less confusing if this Amount column ONLY showed the total of the split assigned to this specific category.

Chris
Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
New to Simplifi in 2021.
16 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Suki
    Suki Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I totally agree this.  It is really confusing and I have to open each split transaction to see if it is correct.  Please change the how this is displayed and display every split amount that is in the category with the notes and tag fields. 
  • RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've been noticing this too...   let's say i split a cash withdrawal half and half between two purposes (today this example happened), in spending reports by category i see the total transaction rather than the category I'm looking at.

Rob Wilkens

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

Vote farming again, since I continue to get caught by surprise every stinkin' time I view transactions in Planned Spending.

Each time - someone - sees the transaction totals, - they - instantly jump to accusations of it's broken, or what are we doing spending so much on Diapers, or I'm confused, or how could we, and then we have to retrain ourselves on how Simplifi is displaying the wrong info on this screen.

Ideally, Simplifi would ONLY display the amount of the split - not the entire transaction amount in the Amount column in the original screenshot!

This way, a person can do the quick mental math to say 'yes, that looks about right' without having to find a calculator and open up each transaction!

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • KDC1996
    KDC1996 Member ✭✭
    Options

This should be a very simple view fix… why has this been open for a year? It's something that was incorrectly setup initially and just needs to be adjusted for the report view. Simple fix, not much work for developers. Where's the fix?

• Melisa
    Melisa Member
    Options

@KDC1996 I doubt this is a "simple fix". Most likely splits are tracked in a different table, while transactions are tracked in a main table. If this is the case the development team will have to join several tables and create new queries that most likely will slow down the app for people who have a lot of split transactions. That being said, would be nice to have an official reply from the Simplifi team.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks @Melisa - check out some words of wisdom on Simple Fixes below.

I would like this feature too, but from the feature request in progress list connectivity and rollover budgets are taking priority.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I noticed something interesting today - that when filtering on a tag or category, although the Amount column shows the full amount of a transaction that's been split, if I select the transaction (and others), the total displayed at the top of the list only includes the portions of the transaction that match the category/tag I've filtered for. Not sure if this is a new feature or if it's just something I never noticed, but it was pretty helpful!

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@EL1234 nice find, though I would still like the split in the line items to show only the filtered category or at worst show the split expanded so you can see the different line items. See this thread below

• EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree and have already voted for that idea :)