How to handle an insurance payout

Options
DannyB
DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2022 in Managing Your Transactions
A couple of months ago our e-bikes were stolen  :(  The thieves had to go to a lot of work since we had a high level security lock on them.  At least the batteries were not installed on the bikes.  Anyway, our home insurance covered the loss minus our deductible of course, but all-in-all we received about 2/3 of the loss. 

My question:  How would you handle a payout like this? 

In order to maximize the payout we have purchased replacement bikes and have purchased the various upgrades that we lost when our original bikes were stolen - upgraded seat posts, upgraded saddles, high security locks, pannier bags.... Again, about 2/3 of these expenses are covered by our insurance payout and the remaining will come out of the category for our recreation expenses. 

Any ideas on how to enter all this into Simplifi? 

Thanks
Danny
Simplifi user since 01/22
Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello @DannyB,

Great question, though I'm sorry to hear that your e-bikes were stolen! 😳

Personally, I'd use that same recreation expenses category to categorize everything. If you categorize the insurance payout using the same category, since it's an income transaction, it will offset the expense transactions of the same category. Then, you'll be dealing with the remaining 1/3 as leftover expenses that can be accounted for in the Spending Plan, etc. 

I hope this helps, but some other users may come along with additional suggestions!

-Coach Natalie
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Great idea!  My only other suggestion for @DannyB would be…get a guard dog…and charge it to the recreation expense category too!
    Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.

Answers

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks @Coach Natalie that works  :)
    Danny
  • DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    🤣 @Flopbot!  That ain’t gonna happen!  I’d rather just take the extra 15 minutes to unload and secure the bikes in the garage from now on!  
    Danny
This discussion has been closed.