Three-part transaction?

Options
myllanac
myllanac Member
edited September 2022 in Managing Your Transactions
I spent $75 on my credit card. I transferred (in real life) $75 from savings directly to the credit card (e.g. payment). It is two transactions in Simplifi: charge to credit card (with proper category), and hidden/ignored internal transfer from savings to credit. Am I correct to make the original transaction also hidden? The credit ledger has one unhidden charge and one hidden credit. 
Tagged:

Best Answer

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @myllanac

It's not really a three-part transaction.  You have two separate things going on here.

On the one hand, you have the actual expense - your $75 purchase that you have categorized and Simplifi has accounted for that purchase in your spending plan.

On the other hand, you have a separate action going on "behind the scenes" which is moving money from your savings account to cover the expense charged to you cc.  This transaction which shows up as a debit in your savings account and a credit in your cc account is hidden because it isn't an actual expense - it's simply moving money around between "cash" accounts.

The way I look at it is this: I treat me cc's as "checking accounts" and my cc payments as simply transferring money between accounts - in this case from an actual checking or savings account to the cc account. It's the same as if I transferred money from a savings account to a checking account to cover an expenditure from my checking account that would overdraw that account if money isn't added.

So, no, don't hide the actual transaction.

Hope that helps! 
    Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
This discussion has been closed.