Web App: Ability to Group Tags like the Mobile App (edited)

Options
Flopbot
Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Feature Requests

Greetings,

I have A LOT of tags and this list is only going to grow!

From what I can tell, some of these tags were created by me (like any of the "TEST" or "For" ones) and others were auto generated by Simplifi based on my Savings Goals (all the ones that start with " ~ ").  Also, from what I can tell on this screen, these are listed in the order in which they were created which is exceedingly un-useful.

It would be very helpful if Simplifi would group these into subcategories based on their source.  This would help us to more quickly - and visually - understand where they came from and what work Simplifi is doing in the background.  It would also help to speed up onboarding...I know this was one point of confusion for me and it took me a while to work out what Simplifi was doing.

These would be the two groups I'd recommend:

1. My Tags - Sorted alphabetically.
  2. My Savings Goals - Sorted alphabetically.

Ideally, I'd want them presented in this same order both under Simplifi > Settings > Categories & tags and when you go to apply them in the transaction register.  Right now, they're alphabetical in the transaction register...which is at least a start.

If nothing else, I'd like to see the above section organized alphabetically to reduce confusion and time spent searching the list tag by tag by tag by tag by tag by ...

Thanks for considering this.

Chris
Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
New to Simplifi in 2021.
6 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't really use tags, but this sounds quite reasonable
    Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

For a related Post about the Mobile App's sort order for tags when entering them in transactions (click here). The above post was more intended to sort and group them in Settings > Categories & Tags.

[edited]

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Adding a great idea from @pawebb to this idea! While I'd still like a way to sort these, you can - in mobile - add emojis to the name of your Saving Goals which makes easier to spot them when looking at that very looooong list of Tags at Settings>Categories & Tags.

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

On this topic, it would be really helpful if there was a way to see unused tags - and delete them easily. Unused tags could have been created by accident, via typo, when trying to choose a category and the cursor in the wrong place, or just that I changed my mind. From the Tags list it's hard to know which can be deleted without going back and forth to the transaction list and running a new filter for each.

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Looks like this on is partially implemented - and it’s even alphabetical! I just found this on the Mobile App…

However, this isn’t reflected in the Desktop App yes - at least it wasn’t as of a few days ago.

@Coach Natalie , perhaps the title of this Idea Post should be updated to include “on Desktop”.

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Flopbot is full of good ideas. I will love to see this on the web app and upvoted this.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If no one suggested this already:

-They shouldn't allow manual creation of tags starting with "~" if they do

-The tags that start with "~" should be hidden from that tags list, because we don't otherwise see them.

Rob Wilkens

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I can see tags with ~ as options in transaction tags and tag list. Looks like this has been fixed if it was an issue.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present