Ability to optionally disable Pending transactions from downloading (edited)

Options
shuruev
shuruev Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2022 in Feature Requests

Hi all,

As confirmed in this thread: https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/comment/11472, there might be a Service Provider issue that results in some transactions being duplicated. [removed - inaccurate]

If that is hard for Simplifi to manage (due to external dependencies), maybe another way to solve it would be to allow optionally opt-out for the pending transactions download? For example, a given account/institution could have a checkbox saying, "Do not download pending transactions". In this case, people could manually enable this setting for the problematic accounts/institutions and download posted/cleared transactions only, which are believed to be more accurate.

Thank you!

13 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @shuruev

At first I thought this might be addressed by selecting "Balance with Pending: Do not subtract pending transactions when calculating the balance with pending for this account, they are already subtracted." in the Edit account screen.  But after reading the linked discussion I see this is a separate issue.  Added my vote. 
    Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Anonymous_Stranger
    Options
    Pending transactions are pretty much always irrelevant and sometimes completely inaccurate.

Simplifi competitor PocketSmith allows each feed to choose whether to show or hide pending transactions. This would be useful in Simplifi.

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I've found that I can just delete pending transaction if I don't need it. For example, when wife is on a trip and the hotel sends in a pending transaction. It is usually just a dummy amount. I delete it and when she checks out, they send in the real transaction. It downloads when it clears just fine. This is a credit card.

I haven't tried it with my checking account, but it probably would work. What I do there is just merge my downloaded pending transactions with my manual one. The next day the bank replaces the first pending transaction with an identical one (but today's date) and I have to remerge them again. The next day, I get the cleared transaction and it usually correctly matches it.

Steve
    Quicken Simplifi Since 2021
    MS Money/Quicken Classic Since 1991

• thaJack
    thaJack Member ✭✭
    Options

My issue is that the amount changes before it posts, then I get the final posted one, and the pending one never goes away, though it's no longer in my transaction list at the bank.

• shuruev
    shuruev Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@thaJack this is the same issue I had, what I described as "results in some transactions being duplicated". Yes, once that happens I have to remove the old transaction manually, and yes this is frustrating.

I would mention though, it doesn't happen for all providers but only for certain ones (PayPal Mastercard in my case)