"Cash flow" investment transactions NOT reflected in Spending Plan

Options
MrGood
MrGood Member ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2022 in Using the Spending Plan
I itemize my paycheck and one of the deductions is for 401k-related transfers.  I can successfully split my paycheck and do a "linked transfer" to my 401k account (which now supports investing transactions under Early Access).  

However, when I do this, my spending plan is now off because it ONLY shows the "debit" side of the transfer (from my checking account's paycheck transaction), but it does not show the "credit" side on the 401k investment account despite the Account = checking account AND transaction type = payment/deposit (which is a 'cash flow' transaction, per the Help docs).

Figure 1 - Itemized paycheck showing 401k linked transfer

Figure 2 - showing the linked transaction on the 401k account

Figure 3 - Shows Spending Plan
(note that the "Ally" entry in the Other spending bubble only reflects another paycheck-related linked transfer for an HSA account.  But it is not the 401k-related one.

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options
    Hello @MrGood,

Thank you for reporting this issue to the Community, although I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing an issue with Transfers to your investment account in Simplifi.

At this time, Investment Transactions are automatically ignored from the Spending Plan and Reports. The only exception is "cash flow" type Investment Transactions in Reports, as there is a bug that is including these transaction types in Reports, so they have to be manually ignored at this time; these transaction types will not show in the Spending Plan, however. 

With that said, I'd suggest ignoring the other side of the Transfer from the Spending Plan as well since there is not currently a way to include the Investment Transaction side of the Transfer in the Spending Plan. Taking this step should ensure that both sides of the Transfer are ignored from the Spending Plan, which should balance everything out.

For more details on using Investment Transactions, please see our Support Article here.

Please let us know if this helps to resolve this matter for you! 

-Coach Natalie
  • MrGood
    MrGood Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Coach Natalie -- Thank you for the added information.

To clarify, your suggestion of ignoring the other side of the transfer, you mean to say to check the "Ignore" checkboxes?

If that's the case, I wouldn't be able to do that in this situation because the ignore flag would apply to the entire paycheck, so it would throw off my income and all the other deductions as part of the "splits" from the paycheck.
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options
    Hello @MrGood,

Thanks for posting back!

That's right -- ignoring the other side of the Transfer would result in the entire transaction being ignored. And, sadly, the ability to ignore just part of a split transaction is currently not supported in Simplifi (though we have an Idea post requesting this ability that you may be interested in voting on). 

I'm not sure how you handled this situation prior to Investment Transactions becoming available, however, you may consider going back to that method until the ability to include Investment Transactions in the Spending Plan becomes available. 

Sorry for not having a better suggestion/solution for you!

-Coach Natalie
  • MrGood
    MrGood Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My previous approach was to have a separate category (vs. the transfer) but it gets marked as an expense.  Which is fine, I can revert to that method.

Regarding the idea post, I was all over that when I saw it before.  I upvoted it back in May.  I’ll keep on the lookout to see if it makes it into a future product enhancement.

Thanks… 
  • MoneyGirl
    MoneyGirl Unconfirmed, Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing
This discussion has been closed.