Why is the mobile Spending Plan category cloud so awful?

Options
lanewinfield
lanewinfield Member
edited February 2023 in Feedback
Hi there,

Generally I'm a big fan of this app and use it on the regular.

But one thing has completely confounded me recently... why is the mobile breakdown of my spending lumping almost all the largest categories into "Other?" 

Here is what it looks like on mobile:

Here is what it looks like on desktop:

Clearly, as seen on desktop, there is a much better way to break the spending down. It makes absolutely no sense why 63% of my transactions end up in "Other" and categories like "Utilities" which make up 0% are being shown instead of, say, Dining & Drinks, as shown above.

This makes the mobile app far less useable as it's much harder to figure out a breakdown on spending there.

Any ways to fix?

Thanks!

Best Answers

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello @lanewinfield,

Thank you for posting to the Community regarding this issue, although I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this behavior in Other Spending on the Simplifi Mobile App. 

It is my understanding that the Other Spending bubbles on the Mobile App should match the Web App. Since you're just seeing the issue on the Mobile App, I'd suggest first fully signing out and back in to see if doing so helps to clear things up. If the issue persists, you'll next want to perform a full uninstall/reinstall of the Mobile App, while rebooting your device in between. 

Please let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie
  • lanewinfield
    lanewinfield Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I’d suggest first fully signing out and back in to see if doing so helps to clear things up.
    That worked! Thanks so much!

Answers

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @lanewinfield

This looks like a screenshot of the "Other spending" screen in the Spending plan.  I have no idea why Simplifi is breaking down you other spending differently in the mobile app compared to the mobile app.  I have heard from a reliable source that the development team is doing an extensive overhaul of the mobile app but I doubt that is what is affecting what you're seeing if I were to guess.

But, my question is, if what you are showing here is from your "Other spending," why is so much of your spending showing up here?  I don't see this much of my spending in these categories in Other spending since pretty much all my spending falls under Bills/Subscriptions/Savings or in Planned spending categories.  Just courious.
    Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • lanewinfield
    Options
    I guess what it comes down to is... I use Simplifi a little differently. I have some bills/planned, but not everything. I use it a bit more to track what I am spending versus planning everything to a T.
  • DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Got it.
    Danny
  • DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @lanewinfield just a couple more thoughts.. first, I imagine one difference and the reason the mobile app lumps a number of categories together is because of the amount of real estate in a mobile device compared to a desktop screen where one would usually view the web app.  Second, you can tap on the Other balloon and see all the categories included there in detail.
    Danny
This discussion has been closed.