Itemizing Paycheck - Improve "Spending Plan"

Options
kevlar68
kevlar68 Member
edited March 2023 in Feedback
When I receive a paycheck, I don't just categorize as "Paycheck". I itemize to make sure I capture all the taxes and insurance:
+Salary (gross)
-Taxes (US, Medicare, SS)
-Insurance (Med, Vision, Dental, Life)
-a couple others.
------------------------------
=Paycheck

BUT, the number used in "Spending Plan" is the net "Paycheck" and NOT the "Salary". This means that the taxes and insurance are calculated TWICE--once in the net paycheck, and again in "Other Spending".  To fix this, the "Income after bills & saving" needs to be based on (how I am using it, gross) "Salary", OR Taxes and Insurance(s) (and a couple other, but they are small) need to be removed from "Other Spending".

Thanks,Kevlar68
Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options
    Hello @kevlar68,

Thanks for posting your inquiry to the Community!

When it comes to tracking paycheck deductions in Simplifi, we do recommend splitting the transaction accordingly as it sounds like you're doing. However, doing so can look deceiving in the Spending Plan, as it makes it seem like the net amount of your paycheck is being counted towards Income instead of the gross amount, but you'll see the deductions in Other Spending.

Rest assured that the Total amount for the Income section will actually be updated to reflect the gross amount of your paycheck, so everything ends up being calculated properly when the deductions appear in Other Spending. We have a Support Article available here that goes over this in more detail that I'd definitely suggest checking out.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns!

-Coach Natalie
  • kevlar68
    kevlar68 Member
    Options
    Thanks, this is great Support Article.  I've run across this problem a few other places as well; where a TOTAL transaction will show up and freak me out, but I ultimately recall/discover that it is reflecting an itemization. Thanks,Kevlar
This discussion has been closed.