Spending Plan: Income should be separate from bills and saving

Options
Chrobrego
Chrobrego Member ✭✭✭
edited February 2023 in Feature Requests
I think it's more intuitive to have income separate, create a separate bubble just for bills/savings, planned spending, then create another bubble for paying off credit card debt and loans. 
2 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Chrobrego, could you please include a screenshot of which’ bubbles’ you’re referring to. That would help us get a clearer idea of what you’re asking for.

Then maybe one of the coaches can turn this into an “Idea Post” so people can vote on it.  Idea Posts help Simplifi know what to prioritize next.
    Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Flopbot , if I read it right what I think @Chrobrego is suggesting is to add an income only section to the Spending Plan.  That is, instead of showing total recurring income in the "Income after Bills & Savings" we would see an "Income" section showing Income only on the Spending Plan landing page either in addition to what already is there or separating out income from the "Income after..." section. 

In the web app, total income is more clearly available when you go to the Spending Plan since it defaults to showing the "Income after bills & savings" section and "Income" is listed first.  In the mobile app you have to click on the "Income after bills & savings" tile to see total income.

Personally, I like the current set up but it did take some getting used to.  And it makes good sense to do it this way based on what Simplifi is designed to do - that is show me how much I have left to spend in a given month after all recurring fixed expenses, planned savings, and planned spending on flexible expenses.

But as @Flopbot points out, turning this into a New Idea post would give the community a chance to vote on idea.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Chrobrego
    Chrobrego Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, I wanted income to be separate.  At the moment, I see income AFTER bills and saving are taken out. I get why Simplifi does this, but the challenges I have with this method are two:  1.  I like to have an easy way to verify that the app is accurately reporting my current position.  It's harder to do that if the income part is messed up by subtracting things from it. 2. It makes more sense to me to show my income, then show me what my bills/savings deductions will be in a separate 'bubble' THEN have me deduct the planned spending. I would also add a 'bubble' to target credit card balances that are outstanding.   Just my thoughts. 
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Hello @Chrobrego,

Thank you for sharing your suggestion with the Community!

I have gone ahead and turned this into an Idea post so other users can vote on it and our Product Team can review it. 

I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie