More thoughts on incorporating non-monthly recurring expenses

Options
DannyB
DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2023 in Using the Spending Plan

I have shared elsewhere about how I am “incorporating” those annual recurring expenses and today I did a little more adjusting and fine tuning as a result of my weekly review of my finances which got me thinking once again about those non-monthly recurring expenses.

I wonder if instead of some kind of roll over functionality in the Spending Plan we all know and love (😊) which does go against the whole idea behind the Spending Plan, would it be better to have IN ADDITION TO the monthly focused Spending Plan a seperate modal similar to the current Spending Plan modal but focused on annual planning. 

• I envision basically the same set up as in the current Spending plan with a bill/subscription section and a Planned spending section. 
  • Funding could perhaps be similar to Saving Goal contributions now, but you could designate Annual Spending Plan along side of any Savings goals contributions.
  • Monthly contributions would accrue over the year building the “income” part of “Income after Bills” section and what's left the user could distribute to their Planned spending categories. 
  • You could create recurring bills that are assigned to the Annual Spending Plan that would function just like the current monthly bills do.

OK, I can see holes in this idea as I'm presenting it but do you all think it has potential?

Danny
Simplifi user since 01/22
Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
Tagged:

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

How about the amount of the ‘suggested contribution’ (I'm calling it) is the remaining amount needed to be divided by the number of months to (including) the target month it's due? In my book, this wouldn't be a ‘generic rollover’, but a bin for each annual (or semi-annual) expense. The ‘bin’ would work like you say similar to a savings goal.

Rob Wilkens

• altChristopher
    altChristopher Member ✭✭✭
    Options

So, there are two things I have noticed.

1. When you have a goal in your spending plan, let's say $4,000 to save, and you want to do that from March through October, so $500 a month. It projects that goal past the end date until you save enough. I would like at a minimum it does not keep extending the goal expense and trust I will fill it up (just honor the end date). Alternatively, roll forward a month if I don't save enough or lower a month if I save more… Something like that.
    2. I would like to see projected Net Income, etc, in the reporting area that shows all those spending plans by month, I have put together. (Future Months), a cumulative breakout would be cool too but not needed for MVP.

Let me know if I am doing something wrong or if you see the same behavior.

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.