AMEX requests MFA every login

Options
Cbarth270
Cbarth270 Member

For going on a month now I am asked to re-authenticate my AMEX account at login. This has become increasingly annoying. I understand MFA requests are dictated by the financial institution, but I'm not convinced there isn't an issue with the aggregator. It seems extremely excessive to require MFA every time I access the app. AMEX rarely requires I authenticate when I access their mobile or web app.

Is anyone else having this issue.

Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @Cbarth270,

Thanks for posting your inquiry to the Community!

Although other users may come along with additional feedback for you on this, unfortunately, there's nothing further that can be done from our end regarding MFA requests from your various banks, as these are made by the banks directly. More details on this can be found here.

The only thing we can really suggest is to see if you can disable or potentially lower the MFA requirements that you have set up with the bank. Otherwise, hopefully the migration to American Express's API will help to resolve this matter for you. We don't have an ETA to provide on the migration at this time, however, it does appear that newly added accounts are being set up on the API, so existing accounts should be prompted to migrate before too long.

I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie

• Cbarth270
    Cbarth270 Member
    Options

@Coach Natalie thanks for the response. Looking forward to the API being updated.

Although I recognize the MFA request is from the financial instituion, the current account behavior is very strange. For example, suddenly last week the only MFA option avaialble was a voice call, despite always previously having the option for a text code. The overall behavior of the MFA reuqests has been inconsistent and unusual. Now every time I access the app I need to do a voice call to receive an MFA code otherwise my AMEX accounts disconnect.

Is there a way for me to force the switch to the new API?

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @Cbarth270,

It is my understanding that only newly added American Express accounts will use the API at this time; I'm not sure what the ETA is on rolling it out to existing accounts. So the only way to potentially use the API with American Express at this time would most likely be to delete and re-add the account(s). However, you would lose all transaction activity and Recurring Series associated with the account, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Instead, I'd suggest waiting until the API rolls out for all American Express users to see if the behavior improves, and then let us know if you're still seeing issues after that time. In the meantime, you keep an eye on our Support Article here that goes over the API connections, as it will be kept updated with any changes.

Sorry for not having a better answer at this time!

-Coach Natalie

• Cbarth270
    Cbarth270 Member
    Options

The application (IOS & Web) is nearly unusuable in the current state. It's not hyperbole, I am prompted with am MFA request every single time I access the app. What's worse is I'm now only given the open to receive an MFA code via voice. The apps general performance has only continued to decline. I'm extremely close to completely giving up on the app and switching to a competitor…

This discussion has been closed.